1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you celebrate Math?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sriniketan, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Mm..if you expect any 'maths class' here, you are for a disappointment (but it is at the end of this thread :biggrin2: :hide:)
    But you are going to receive some 'sweet, yummy facts' about its namesake celebration. :)

Yesterday my dd and ds, told me that in their school, Pi(e) day is being celebrated and they need to buy some pies from the store, so that they can have a party at school..they gave their choice of pies too..:drool

This morning, my ds, forgot about his pie and was about to leave and I screamed, "take your pie to school"...and in came he to get only the pie, but I also told him take it with the பை (in tamil this letter is also pronounced as 'pie' but means the 'bag')..he got :spinfor a minute and at last figured it out, what I meant and he took it in the bag.

This is the problem you know, when you speak two languages at the same time....:bonk:rotfl

After they left to school, my mom asked me to explain about what is this all about.. pi(e) day..(um..she didn't know that I am not good at explaining especially the math part) so I went to Wikipedia and got the help..

I also found out that they celebrate Square root day, too...(they celebrate it by cutting the 'root vegetables' in squares and have it)..:idea:

After seeing these Pi(e) day and Square Root day, my son was asking me, do they have any Addition day, Subtraction Day, Multiplication day, Exponent day and the like, I ran to Wikipedia for help, but couldn't find any.

As such my mind was thinking about it and got an explanation to the question.

Every marriage or birth, (including the adoption of pets) to the family...is the Addition/Multiplication Day.
    Every separation or death, in the family...is the Subtraction/Division Day.

Each and every family celebrates/remembers these days, aren't we!

Sriniketan

PS: Pi Day is a holiday commemorating the mathematical constant π (pi). Pi Day is celebrated on March 14 (or 3/14 in month/day date format), since 3, 1 and 4 are the three most significant digits of π in the decimal form. In 2009, the United States House of Representatives supported the designation of Pi Day.[2]

Square Root Day is an unofficial holiday celebrated on days when both the day of the month and the month are the square root of the last two digits of the year.

Square Root Day occurs on the following dates each century:
    • 1/1/01
    • 2/2/04
    • 3/3/09
    • 4/4/16
    • 5/5/25
    • 6/6/36
    • 7/7/49
    • 8/8/64
    • 9/9/81
    Did you enjoy this class...:) and one more question before I finish this class off..:help: do any of you celebrate your birthdays,( can expect a square cake, though..) in square root days..to make it simple..where the dates and months are the same?

13 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Srini dear I am the first student here who is old with age but young at heart. It was a nice lesson to learn and that too from you as you were my first tutor here in IL. You always come with something different and something to think. I am nominating this post

2 people like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Ha ha Srini, what a nice write up! My DH told me that it was a Pi day today this morning! And I loved reading about the sqaure root days! makes total sense doesn't it? and how fascinating!

And here I was thinking we could simply not add on addition day, not subtract on the subtraction day and so on and so forth! Now that you have set a different tone, I can't help but wonder if we do indeed celebrate subtraction day (as we finish/take away one more day), addition day (as we add to our age), multiplication day (as we multiply joys) and division day (as we divided sorrows) every day! Ha ha now my thinking cap has worked it's magic a bit I think! or is that you?

Thank you for that lovely write up! And I think your DS is lucky that he has to only add an 'e' (for eating) and enjoy the pie day instead of trying to remember all the 35 digits after the decimal - like the way K2S mentioned in another thread!

1 person likes this.
  4. lalithasathish

lalithasathish Silver IL'ite

That was a lovely and "gyan"ful post...never really heard of these days before...it sure is a lesson for me to prepare for these days in the near future when my son comes running to me from school telling me about these days..not far away..will contact you before our old wiki for more GYAN then :)

One thing I am happy about is that I will not have a "?" look at my face then since you already introduced me to this course :)

2 people like this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

By Jove I simply enjoyed this Math class!
    Only if I had teachers like you in my school, i would've been a world class mathematician today!
    Yeah, why couldn't they make Math as interesting as you made it today?

wonderful, wonderful write up Bhargavi! I knew about Pi day thru my sons.
    Enjoyed it. Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

my ds, forgot about his pie and was about to leave and I screamed, "take your pie to school"...and in came he to get only the pie, but I also told him take it with the பை

hahhah that scene, I can imagine sreeni.

since I did not know about the pi day (I would have thought of celebrating it by eating different pies :hide: so much for my 'mathematical' inclination)
    it was very interesting..and so was the square root day..

a typical sreeni post:thumbsup and you may not believe this, but only yesterday I was wondering at your absence here...:)

2 people like this.
  7. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Srini teacher
    I really thought you are going to start maths classes here...hehehe thank God...[​IMG]
    Thanks for the piece of information dear. the square root day was really funny one...
    Srini we both celebrate yaar..our day and month is the same so on our birthday along with the birthday celebration let us celebrate square root day too...[​IMG]
    Your logic on addition and substraction is just BowBow
    Jai ho Srini teacher......:thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  8. aashuabhi

aashuabhi Gold IL'ite

yes my husband birth date is 11/11.. but i guess he needs to wait till 2121 (121) for his square root birthday .. hAHAHAHAHA :rotfl

1 person likes this.
  9. vidhu63

vidhu63 Gold IL'ite

Hi Srini,

:rotflThngala ma unga ooru lollu.

1 person likes this.
  10. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Srini,

After a long time , I got to read your post but you never disappoint me [​IMG] Pi and square root days ha ha ha!
    Your DS must have been really mad at you for bringing your tamil 'pulamai' at that time instead of saying bag
    [​IMG]

Enjoyed it very much

1 person likes this.