1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who changed the clock/time?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by navs23, Mar 12, 2012.

1. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

What would you do if woke up one day and the routine 7.30 is no longer 7.30 but 8.30am :spin
    I wake up with a jolt, scramble, get ready and rush to work, thinking of excuses for being late.
    The world has moved an hour ahead, not that I did not know about it. Sunday was the day of the drill to wake up early, but, who wakes up early on a Sunday, I slept through the repeated screams of the alarm, which finally ended up smashed to the floor.

I reach work and look around, secretly hoping that everyone had slept through the clock, but see that everyone is on time, engrossed in work(or engrossed in the game of solitaire, chatting or whatever they have been doing) :rant

I yawn even before I enter the work space, dump my bags,look around(to make sure no one is looking) and rush to the coffee bar, coffee is what I need. After a large/tall cup of coffee, I start with work and let another yawn escape my mouth.
    Why has the coffee/caffeine not kicked in yet, why am I still sleepy :coffee

I give it some time and within another hour rush to get another tall cup of coffee. Work piles up :bangcomp:, but, my body is on a strike today, for changing the routine that I had been following for months. It does not really care that the clock has been moved ahead(by whom??) and no amount of coffee can force it to keep up with the change.

The day drags, with many cups of coffee, that I end up looking like a zombie rather than alert and some how the day comes to a slow, sleepy end. I rush out(even before the others who had come in ahead of me), planning to go to bed early and wake up on time :idea

I twist and turn in the bed, all the caffeine in the coffee has kicked in now(how nice!!!!) and my mind is full alert. I can calculate what 2 power 23343434343 is in a second, I wish my mind had been this alert when I had sat for my school exams, when it usually went blank the minute I had set eyes on the question paper. I should have drunk a lot of coffee then, I think. Had I done that, I would have secured better marks. I enter la la land, the land where I am crowded with awards and honors, and I dedicate my success to dear old 'coffee', yes, to the wonderful coffee. The alarm starts to scream and I am annoyed to be interrupted by a shrill voice, I was still busy thinking about my 'what if' life. Another day had just started :idontgetit:

Miracle of all miracles, all the caffeine, that had kept me up the whole night, just dissipated into thin air and inspite of repeated showers, I am back to looking like a zombie :boo:
    I drag myself to another slow, sleepy, caffeine day at work.

My mother(who stays in the part of the world where time stays the same no matter spring or winter) calls me to ask why I haven't called her at the usual time yet. I have a hard time explaining to her that we moved the clock ahead to save the day light and she keeps asking me how some one can move the time, back or forward and If I am insane :roll:

I have no idea(about how the time change happens(spare the technical details) or if I am insane). All is know is that my body will be on a strike for a week until it finally gives up and starts to go with the clock.
    Welcome Daylight Savings :bonk

A brief note on Day Light Savings time. Spring and Summer have more daylight hours, the sun rises early and sets late(it goes upto 9-9.30 pm in the months of July-August), giving us an opportunity to conserve energy(switch on lights only later rather than at the evening). But, it does not really serve the purpose these days, as summers are hot and longer the days, longer the hours of air conditioner usage.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ked-questions/2012/03/09/gIQAH4JY1R_blog.html
    http://nvonews.com/2012/03/12/daylight-saving-time-2012-time-change-doesnt-conserve-energy/

13 people like this.

2. getstrngth

getstrngth Gold IL'ite

Even I had troubles today morning!!! Sigh I hate this time forward... Anyway one good advantage is we get to spend more time out... And finally can say loud Spring is hear time to self all the jackets and boots in the cupboard!

1 person likes this.
  3. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the first feedback getstrngth :)
    Though it's just an hour change, it still feels like jet lag :-(
    Same here, though frustrated to wake up early, glad to welcome spring and long days(it is wonderful
    when it is looks like noon at 9pm :)

4. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

dear Navs23.

Loved yr post. Reminds me of my husband on Monday mornings !!

love,
    kylie

1 person likes this.
  5. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kylie,
    Thanks for your feedback :)
    ha ha, no wonder they call it Monday blues, right :)

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Navs,

HAHA. A coffee Zombie eh ! well i have not epxierenced it, my body adjusts when i fly abraod also, so i have no problems at all. When i am feeling very bored, i think of grat things about myself, that i have become a big writer, i am paid a bomb by newspapers and books to write, and while dreaming all this i fall asleep in the flight, and wake up straight on landing.

and of course i take a large quota of whiskey which helps too.HAHA

Good we dont have the time changes here, god knows how it helps really.

My cousin used to stay in Denmark and he used to say in summers the sun is up in the sky till 11 pm eh ! Can u imagine how it must be feeling.HAHA

Superb one, cant stop laughing.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  7. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    Thanks for the wonderful feedback.
    I am glad you enjoyed reading it :)
    I love the long days in the summer, when it is broad daylight at 9pm and once can feel safe in staying out. But, the mind/body fails to adjust for quite some time and it is quite hard to go to bed at 9pm or 10pm when it looks like 5pm outside. After few months, the clocks are changed again and it looks like 10pm at 3 in the noon and it feels so gloomy. It's either extremes :-(
    I do not feel much of a jetlag after international travel, but the day light saving change, always makes me a walking zombie for a week or so ;-)

8. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Navs
    First thing I just can't undrstand why do they have this day light savings it doesn't make much difference. When I came to Egypt here too they had this day light saving and wouldn't make much difference. From last year they have stopped this in Egypt, nor the pyramids are growing taller, nor the sun is rising a bit early or late it is not making and difference to the people who work or who is at home.
    But when this changes happen it is the human who has to change to it's time and land up like you. Sorry to read about your state, it takes time to get adjusted na.

3 people like this.
  9. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Aruna,
    Thank you for the feedback.
    I too fail to understand why they take so much effort to set the clocks back and forth, when it makes no difference but for being a huge inconvenience to people.
    Switching on the lights an hour or so later does not really save all the energy that is spent running air conditioners and coolers during the warm/hot summers.
    It is quite hard when you're set to a routine, one spends time getting adjusted to the clock change and bam, months go by and the clock is set back, only to confuse the mind and body again.

10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Ha ha Navs! I envy you for your could turn that alarm off and snuggle still in your bed on Sunday morning while I had to head out what appeared like an hour early for my weekend class. Yes, it was supposed to begin at 7.15 in the morning while technically we all felt like it was 6.15!! Well, we know we will get used to it and our bodies will adapt for we do know we will get that one more hour to sleep longer in another 6 months!

Nice write up navs and it will make everyone think of their morning on the time change day as it did to me!

2 people like this.