1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What goes around...comes around ...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

What goes around comes around and what goes up MUST come down...…

I LOVE this song by Alicia keys from her album titled 'karma'. And as I happen to firmly believe in the same, I am often caught humming it. Recently,I had the chance to do so again..

Read on..

Everyone liked Mrs S in our old building in Mumbai. She was a jovial and devout catholic woman who often went out of her way to help the young mothers living there by baby-sitting their kids. Since her three children had flown away from the nest to study in foreign lands, she had a lot of time and the young mothers always flocked to her for advice on how to treat a running nose or stop their kid’s loosies.

The advice was always given over a hot cuppa tea and her special home baked cookies which, you will all agree with me, is something no young tired mother will ever refuse. Since I was a working person back then, I hardly met her, and on the few occasions I did, she used to say, “I only know your daughter and husband”. That was because I would quietly make the way up the stairs to my apartment, while my hubby used to fetch my dd from my mother’s place and she would continuously be chattering all the way from my parents’ house to ours.

However, we do know people. Behind her back, there were always hushed whispers about what a tyrant she was at home. She had apparently had an inter religious love marriage and had insisted that her husband, a Hindu, convert to Christianity. He had done so and next, she had asked him to sever all ties with his family, as they had not accepted her. Again, he had done so and became such an earnest catholic that he would read the Bible before dinner, people said. His family was so miserable for having lost their own son, they whispered.
    Anyway the last I saw any of them was more than fifteen years back.

Recently a friend from the same building visited me and she updated me with all the building news. And regarding Mrs. S, she had this to say. Her daughters had got married into Christian families while her son had fallen in love with his aunt’s (father’s sister) brother in law’s daughter. (Haha!!! Now, that is a tough one to get. My hubby did not get it at all, and I gave up saying it was not very important) .The Hindu aunt was apparently all for it as it meant restoring ties with her brothers family once again. Mrs S had put her foot firmly down but her son had retorted that he would marry only that girl and no one would convert himself or herself now and if she did not like it ,it did not matter as he would be taking his bride abroad anyway. Poor Mrs S had apparently no other go but to agree. She was not ready to lose her son the way her in-laws had lost theirs to her years back and the whole building was apparently humming 'what goes around comes around…'

Of course ,you might have heard many such stories and I dont want to dwell on my friend's gleeful “ Seeeee, she got it back..” but couldnt help admiring the young lad for having a firm head on his shoulders.
    When the question of changing ones religion or caste (whether one is a believer or not) pops up or forsaking your kith and kin becomes a precondition , how can one still call it love? :bonk

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Mindi dear good post. Now a days children are very firm in their decision regarding love.

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindz,
    Does your post imply that, years back,
    Men dared defy their families for fear of losing their fiancee?
    Now, they go ahead, knowing fully well that the parents of the present day are choiceless!! They do not want to lose their son!!
    Perhaps this is part of the generation gap!!

4. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

hi Mindi..

I totally agree with you statement.. you love somebody because of their qualities not because of their faith... one of my cousins was in love with a girl who had a muslim sounding name and when they realised that they were serious enough to get married he very hesitantly asked her whether she was a muslim as that may require a bit more cajoling and convincing to parents!!.. imagine for 3 yrs he never bothered to find out as it never mattered.. thats what love is about..
    K

1 person likes this.
  5. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi
    They say what ever you do good or bad it has to come back to you in this birth itself and this post, points out to it so well.
    It is good to accept a person of another religion but I don't think it is wise to force that person to change into another religion. All of us have our own faith I think that should not be distrubed.

1 person likes this.
  6. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mindi this what we say "what we sow what we reap".

7. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindy,
    A thought provoking and wonderful post!
    The universe has a perfect accounting system and all action has an equal and opposite reaction although this is not always easily perceived as such because the universe has its own time-line regarding how balance is maintained.
    No debt ever goes unpaid or as they also say, no good deed goes unpunished. More importantly is our ability to understand how this law works in our present life and how we can use it to change our now and our future to lead more aware, fulfilling and happier lives.
    with love
    pad

sindmani, parvathi1980, knbg and 2 others like this.
  8. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mindi....
    Well but isnt love blind LoL....

Very good article.....dear

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Nowadays kids listen to you only when they think that you are right, We have to accept that they have minds of their own and are thinking, feeling individuals like all of us. Respect, now is not a duty for your kids. It is something you have to work hard to earn.

10. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

tks dear Viji, Hmmm many of them are much fair minded than the previous generation,I would like to think.:)