1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A stuffy situation.......

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Megalife, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

I went with my family to a buffet last weekend. I have this inherited fear of buffets, my dad has it too, so that makes it a genetically transmitted disease in the true sense of the world. Now seriously guys, I am abnormal and the good thing is I know that. Normally I try to dodge when this topic of eating Buffet is under consideration, but this time I couldn't evade this for my greedy Dh and his 2 ever hungry brats. So it was decided,....this Friday lunch was at the Hilton. I started my starving spear from Thursday evening to make it worth every penny. My thoughts were full of roast lamb with mint jelly and rich brown gravy /roast seasoned mushrooms and cheese/jumbo burger as greasy as possible.

The starvation lead to so much of gas that in the morning my tummy was like a bloated pillow. I had my cup of tea and settled with the morning newspaper to keep my mind off the clock and the food....yes, remember, i had to be really empty to make it worth my money. We set off early, we were one of the few early arrivals for the lunch. My eyes darted from the soup to the cold salads, it was hard to make up my mind; So I made myself a "pseudo-Caesar" salad , Romaine lettuce tends to be more expensive than iceberg - but those mixed greens tend to more expensive than both - so I added all of those along with a generous amount of dressing, more the merrier!!! I stopped drinking water, instead gulped pomegranate, mango, apple juice...all Varieties which I could find at the juice counter...my tummy was starting to feel like a puddle. But there was no stopping, It was time to go up for the start of the "main" course and I went right over to the stews, chops, rice, seafood........I choose the best cuts and pricey seafood, and by now I felt absolutely huge, and looked pretty stuffed too. But how could I ignore the pasta station, another helping of Pasta Pomodoro and I was stuffed to my throat. I crawled my way to the dessert counter and now honestly, I can't even remember the taste of what I had eaten, my taste buds had stopped responding!!!! Pudding tasted like ice cream and vice versa, I couldn't find a difference between the Mousse and a Tiramisu.....I was so numb from the outside and the inside. Still I had a great satisfaction, I had done it again, I had tried it all......"I had made it worth the money"......or had I??? WORTH??? Had i satisfied my hunger, Or had I quenched my greed???? Would I have been more satisfied/content with a dal-rice meal at home, with no tension of having to conquer all at a go. As i pulled myself through the restaurant, dismay again struck me,oops,,,.. i had forgotten to visit the Carving Station and the roast turkey seemed to ridicule me with this quote...
    All human suffering springs from unbridled desire. Unless one extricates oneself from the clutch of greed, one will not free himself from the fetters of sorrow.:bonk
    Megalife

12 people like this.

2. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi megalife,

Truly said. Loved your buffet explaination enjoying single penny.. thats what buffet are meant for, isn't it??? I love buffets and nothing leave untouched as long as it is vegatarian..

Padma

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mega,

a good one. :) First of all a huge hI-5 to you because both my dad and I share your fear of the Buffet too.
    I never know what to eat so have a pained expression on my face when I see the lavish spread ..adding to it is my familiy's pitying look that says " oh you...what a waste it is treating you to a buffet"
    nowadays I dare say I have mastered the art ( a polished way of saying I have become quite a glutton or that I know how to get my paisa vasool) of enjoying one.
    I make frequent trips to the table taking little at a time..and I stuff myself with only the ones I rarely make at home..so all the Desserts,it is..LOL

2 people like this.
  4. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear Padma
    I had to leave the restaurant in pain for two reasons, one, my overly full tummy and that I had not noticed "the Carving Station" which was the highlight of this place...it had just skipped my otherwise "Hawk"eyes! Your below line gives me the confidence that I am not alone in my quest for food........
    Thank you and have a fooodie day!
    Mega

5. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Mega,
    I frankly admit, I am a lover of food, buffet or served in a plate, be it A La Carte as well!!
    In a buffet, I love to watch how they decorate & arrange food! I do not leave any veg item untasted & hence, help myself with very small amounts.
    BUT &
    a big but,
    I do not know how to manage my plate & handbag!!:hide:
    Unless I thoughtfully carry a sling bag, I am more anxious about not misplacing my handag, in my tasting sessions!!
    How do yo all manage??
    In all Chennai weddings, buffet is very much in vogue, much to my practical discomfort:bonk

1 person likes this.
  6. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi Mindian
    Thanks for the Fb, which is always special!
    This is exactly my situ when I enter the Buffet launch....i feel dazed.
    The whiff and aroma get me kind of hot and bothered …I always have this pestering question…Will I be able to do fairness to the spread? I hate losing on opportunities.
    ...he...he lovely...I had thought of keeping the title as " making my paisa vasool"...but them presumed it might be an odd one herein.
    Mega

7. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Mega..
    when we were kids and my brother was growing boy buffets were all paisa vasool for my parents... now with my teenage son around we too think buffets are paisa vasool as far as he is concerned.. I enjoy buffets when we take guests out as somehow there will be something which everybody will eat.. personally I love buffets as I love to eat a variety.. but nowadays its becoming difficult to manage the gluttonous mind versus the expanding waistline..
    K

8. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi Chitvish
    I am honored by the FB of a "blue blood Foodie" on my thread! Thanks.
    Talking of wedding buffets, my panic rises to its zenith. Weddings are those rare occasions where I wear a sari. Walking with a sari is a horrendous affair in itself. Wearing a sari and balancing a loaded plate is a double-trouble. Well, I wouldn’t comment on the hand bag, coz whenever I wear a sari my DH ends up holding the clutch... :rotfl
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  9. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kelly
    Thanks for your thoughts....yeah with growing boys, loading calories is never a problem, they always find a way to sweat it out.My DD prefers to have a shower at the "the chocolate fountain".

...let you on to a secret, just ditch the tape measure....:thumbsup

10. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Megalife
    I must say these buffets are a waste for my DH:) but unfortunately he is the one who has to go for it every now and then. He is just with a soup and a little salad and rice he just doesn't like to taste anything.
    On the other hand I just love them, a foodie lover,:) I just love to taste everything that is there from soups to desserts. Not one thing goes unnoticed from my eyes. i just love them and the decors are just excellent in these hotels. DH always say at home you are on strict diets and here you are eating as if you havn't eaten for ages...hehehe
    But it is fun to taste everything and I just enjoy it. Don't mind someone calling me a glutton here:hide: