1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Valentine's day - some indian thoughts

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by smileAlways, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Sindhurak

Sindhurak Platinum IL'ite

hmm, May be its true.. In India Valentains Day will be considered only for Unmarried or Newly married cuple only Day.. :)
    Now slowly the trend changing to married ones also, But sadly this part is mostly interested by women only.. :(

2. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

Valentine's day reminds me of our first year of marriage... absolutely normal for my DH and a hell of a time for me... he never understood why it was bad for me... guys will never understand...

i bought a cake and gifts for him.. he got angry with me saying.. why do you have to do this... i dont like gifts and this n that... i felt like throwing the cake out the window... i cried so much that day... later he told me... no1 did any celebrations with me or for me... and no1 bought gifts for me though every1 asked for gifts for silly occasions from him so he doesnt like celebrations as such...but now for silly reasons we celebrate and he gifts me silly things.... just yday he was suggesting some silly gift he will buy for me... and laughed out aloud about it...

that one incident changed his views about our relationship and relationship as such (i experienced the change in him during my delivery time)... for us after that every day is valentine's day and the date is just significant for that incident which changed our relation!!

2 people like this.
  3. passionate89

passionate89 Platinum IL'ite

A very different thought. And well said... :)

4. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

This is just my personal opinion - well for people that otherwise get busy, V-day gives them a chance to be appreciative of their partner and maybe do something special for them. But then again, I think why is it that you have to wait till February 14th - you could be nice every day. I dislike it when people say they are busy (I am old school, I think if you really want to take the time out you can, you just have to intend).

I also think that a lot of it is personality type - for instance, I can be expressive but I am not overtly affectionate, in fact I feel very uncomfortable expressing affection for people that I really love. But I have a friend who is exactly the opposite, whereas her husband is like me - Valentine's day ends up being a big disappointment for her, because he does thing in his style, but given that she has been fed by a culture where women are supposed to be wooed in either Hugh Grant or Shah Rukh style, anything he does is never good enough. What makes things worse is that my friend's colleague has a very romantic husband, who on every V-Day sends flowers to work. So my friend's expectations increase. But when her husband got roses for her at home - rather than appreciating it she said, why didn't you send it to work.

However, if celebrating V-day makes you happy. Go for it :)

However, that being said I think V-day is an overly commercialized holiday, I think it has got more to do with gifting and puts unrealistic pressures on both men and women.
    As far as Indian men being not very caring, or in general taking their wives for granted - I disagree, I think people in general can be considerate and inconsiderate. In my experience western men can be jerks too, it is just that Indian men have that stereotype associated with them.

On a completely different note here is how I am celebrating V-day :) (Shameless self-promotion)

One Billion Rising | | Rising on the Brooklyn Bridge

1 person likes this.
  5. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Ohh!! Hutch dog...is that what you think wifes in India are..i hope u meant "loyal."
    Well in India in every festival the husband buys his wife gifts.I know you will say 'whats the big deal..he buys it for everyone in the family and not just for his wife'....thats correct..Understand that In India we dont have a special mothers day or fathers day or valentines day..so during the festivals we gift all our loved ones...My guess is that because in India even to this date we have joint families so gifting just one family member will be weird.The concept of family is very strong here.
    And seriously if its just about gifts...then i must say ladies thats very materialistic...

1 person likes this.
  6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Your post reminded me of our such 1st V day after our marriage. As you have pointed out, we are not used to such celebrations na..so when his office secretary asked my DH, whether he is going to send roses to me, he said " no" :big laugh: I came to know only though his Secretary, later.
    I do not blame him as I also do not expect these outward showing of affection.

I need to say one thing..the original post and the fbs followed gave me an idea why to or it is ok not o follow these kindof days. :)

Sriniketan

Sriniketan

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

HAHA.

Yes what can the shiv sena do other than get them married.Damn good one, and so right, there the women can divorce and take a huge chunk of the fellow's wealth, and alimoney every month, here things are different.

loved it.

Regards

kamal