1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Valentine's day - some indian thoughts

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by smileAlways, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

SmileAlways,

I could not help laughing at this one sentence that stood out in the post. :biggrin2:

Oh girl, you have a great sense of humour! Only to be surpassed by

Erm..sorry I was lil lost, isn't the post on Valentine's day. Read some lovey-dovey-cooey posts but your dig is worth to stop and ponder for a while. Absolutely nothing wrong in the way you feel. Every now and then expressing one's love is the best way to make your spouse feel wanted in a relationship. And aren't the special days for special moments? There are many who believe that no special day or time is really needed to profess one's love but psychologically I feel that when the whole world celebrates with you somehow you are more elated being a PART of it.

Isn't New year's eve just another day in the year but the surrounding euphoria makes you cherish that day. Imagine a world where people acknowledge it as the last day of the year and observe one minute silence. Eeeks, creepy! Similarly 'I LOVE YOU' any other day is not the same 'I DO LOVE YOU' on a Valentine's day (special occasion to cherish togetherness heightened with pervading love). It is twofold on that day!

It is just different! I love to sway to rock-and-roll in the comfort of my home but I also find it hard to resist, clinging to the chair with loud music and tapping feet in a party.

Er....I've blathered enough.

6 people like this.
  2. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Hi Bhargavi,
    I am glad you enjoyed my post.:)thanks for stepping in

Your reply reminds me an advertisement of some dish washing soap/laundry detergent I have seen yesterday. I am not remembering the product's name. I saw it on Sun tv. *A question was asked in the back ground when they show a women in "pattu sari". " How do you feel if your husband washes the dishes for you?". The lady shows a happy smile by imagining *her husband washing plates. The background says "Happy". Next question, "How do you feel if your husband do laundry for you?". The back ground says "very happy". The women shows a happier face by imagining her husband washing the clothes. Next question, "How do you feel if your husband buy XX dish washing soap for you?". Now the background says "more happy". The women shows a more happier face imagining the XX soap in her/husbands hand(not exactly remembering). The same repeats with the XX laundry detergent also.*Me and MIL were laughing saying, we can't ask god more. Only the first two things are enough for us.:hide:

I liked the your idea of getting solid gifts with utility value. :rotfl
    I have read somewhere when a boyfriend gives very expensive gifts like iPad, blackberry etc to his girlfriend, and later when they break up, whom would the iPad belong to? Can he sue his girlfriend over the iPad? Very valid questions right? May be thats why these people(foreigners) stick to flowers and chocolates;-)

1 person likes this.
  3. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Thanks Priya!!!

4. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Thanks uttaraa for your feedback. It's nice to know your perspective about the special days.
    I agree.

I never thought in this angle. :thumbsup

5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear smileAlways
    You have hit not only the proverbial nail on its head but brought all the Indian men also under the purview of your large hammer! I am pleasantly surprised by your practical take on VD. It comes as a soothing 'inji morappa' (a ginger sweet) after a hearty fattening meal of high calorific value.

In my days of youth, we did all the VD routine throughout the year instead of on a fixed day during the year. It was because love was never time specific but a year-long, nay lifelong affair. But I must state this in all fairness that in our days, we had all the time to show our love for each other and the rat race ,if at all, was restricted to catching our bus to office. Occasionally we quarreled just to love more when we patched up. Sometimes the fights would result in not talking to each other for days but that was a period during which we thought about each other more intensely.

We never needed a V day to show our love. Even a Sivarathri was good enough!
    Sri

6 people like this.
  6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Smilealways

Good post and the fbs are also good. True love is not in giving gifts but being for each other always, my dh believes in that. While working and during delivery time and in bringing up children he has always helped me out. When I was working he used to come home early and when I am back from office , he used to bring my children to the station. When I come home from office he used to give me coffee. Now after retirement I am at home and attend to his needs. Cooking different varieties everyday. Have made a practice to go to temple on Tuesdays and Saturdays together. So everyday is valentine's days for us.

4 people like this.
  7. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,*

Thank you so much for your feed back. I am so happy to see the feedbacks from senior people in IL like you and vijima. This is my first snippet in this forum and I thought 100 times whether to post it or not, thinking it will end up on answering marathon contest.*

You are so true. In olden days people had all their the time to show love and never needed a valentines day, fathers day or mothers day. I am glad that we haven't stared celebrating thanksgiving day yet ( where adult children visit their older parents in US; mostly this is the only one day in an year, they visit their parents).

8. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

dear vijima,

Thank you so much for your Fb. I am so delighted to see your Fb on my thread.
    . Very true. Thanks for sharing the bond you have with your husband which proves the the quoted statement.

9. PriyaDominic

PriyaDominic Gold IL'ite

smileAlways.. really enjoyed your post :)

If I dont give him a valentine/B day card he will say " ennalum enikku oru card tahnnillalo" but I have got only card from him - that too was b4 marrg :)

10. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Thanks Priya for dropping some lines here..
    So v'day is other way around for you;-)

1 person likes this.