1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The flirting roses……..

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Megalife, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

I've always enjoyed flowers - from walking through a peaceful garden to creating bouquets and flower arrangements. Flowers are all beautiful, but the roses stand out for me. They are the royalty of the garden. I cannot help but go ooohhing and ahhhing at their profound beauty.
    As the eve of Valentines’ day dawned, I went outside and took some pictures of these vivacious roses with the dew drops still ecstatically kissing them, they felt no shame that I was watching them. Soon I was lost in reverie with their attention-grabbing fragrance, diverse shape, size, texture…all these blooms seemed to be so full of love, carelessly swaying, shamelessly swinging, playfully alluring the early morning sun. I ought to say the Sun is a real-time Casanova,a charming seducer,dispersing his rays nonchalantly from one rose to another….. constantly pestering them in his pursuits. Who the hell he thinks he is- aConquistador?
    I had to get dressed up for work, but didn’t want to leave, for I feared for those roses who might lose their virginity to this “Don Juan” sun.:kiss
    My husband has never bought me flowers ; we both feel it’s a waste of money, more over roses look the best in the garden. There's something fascinating about fresh flowers staying on the plant flirting with the breeze and the leaves. In rings in feelings of love and warmth - or at least that's how it is for me. I prefer diamonds as an expression of love, expensive expression but I find them irresistible.:my2cents
    As I settled down for yet another day at my desk, I still had this captivating scent of roses trapped in my nostrils…or was it? A pink rose was immersed in a glass of water with a beautiful handwritten note “Will you be my valentine? from your secret admirer.” Although I was bewildered as to who would be my secret admirer and that too at this phase in life, I let go an inward chuckle. Everyone feels like a teenager on Valentines’ day and I am no exception. The tap on my shoulder startled me, it was Mrs. Koury, a widow in her early 60’s. She had lost her DH a few months ago and this was her first Valentines Day without him. As she spoke, I could see her fighting the misty dew drops which had pooled up at the corners of those grey orbs. She was so much in love, she seemed to have loved everything about him....even the stench of his cigarettes. She said tomorrow would be a quiet day for her, being welcomed to an empty house, to be greeted by an old Labrador. They were childless, but had never felt the lonesomeness until her better half had expired.
    In recollection of the good old times, this love guru had picked up a few roses at the gas station on the way to work, she wanted to distribute love.....and I got a piece of this love! A few of us staff members have contributed money to gift her favourite perfume, and neatly wrap it in intense red...the colour of LOVE....or does love have any colour, race, language???:redface:
    We can complain because rose bushes have thorns,
    or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.
    This old world that we’re livin’ in
    Is might hard to beat.
    You get a thorn with every Rose
    But – ain’t the roses sweet?”
    Frank Stanton
    It is the time of the year, romance is in the air, “Happy Valentines Day to one and all”!
    Megalife

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
    9 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Mega dear Happy Valentine's dayto you too. A very apt post for Valentine's day. Enjoyed reading it. Roses are always sweet. I love Roses very much. Nice of that lady to present you with a Rose. Sad to know that her dh isno more. I love the last lines. Nice thought of giving her a gift for Valentine's day

I was just thinking you are not to be seen in snippets and glad to see youhere with a wonderful post as always

3. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hello Vijima
    Have been busy these days at work and home. I do peep in for a few minutes a day and stop by a post or two. But couldn't find time to write something. Thank you for your kind words and have a rocking Val. Day. Hope you are feeling well now.
    Mega

4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Megalife
    While you were ‘ooohhing and ahhing at the profound beauty’ of the roses around you, I am ooohing and ahhing at your narrative skill. Aren’t you a rose without a thorn to be able to communicate your thoughts through exquisite words without a single jarring note spoiling it?

During my professional days, I had a brief stint in Kulu Valley. There I came across mobile roses. Yes, the school kids in their bright uniforms always resembled a bunch of roses on the move. None of the real roses around the sidewalks could match the rosy cheeks of these kids. It always made me believe that God reserved the best for His best subjects.

Your reference to Sun as a real-time Casanova is indeed fascinating. It shows that the tentacles of technology would not leave even Casanova untouched! But a Casanova has to be real-time. There lies his strength. Otherwise it will be like an octogenarian mom nursing fond memories of MK Thyagaraja Bhagavathar or Prithviraj Kapoor if you please! But tell me, can anyone resist being a Casanova in a world full of roses? They say that the most heroic soldiers are identified by the battle scars they bear on their chests. A real Casanova will undoubtedly bear the love scars of the rosy thorns!

As I was going through this thread, I noticed an indirect publicity for De Beer’s stuff and your preference for them. This is the greatest proof of unlike poles attracting each other. Otherwise, why should a woman who embodies everything soft in nature have a preference for the hardest allotrope of carbon? The piece de resistance of your thread is the story of the lonely lady who continues to diffuse love and warmth. And that act of yours in giving her something in return as an expression of love is even more touching. True. Love has no colour, race or language. Nor age either!
    Happy Valentine’s Day!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  5. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sir Cheeniya
    A Fb from you is like a topping of chocolate mousse over an icecream!
    I wish I could get Aphrodite, the great Olympian goddess of love and beauty to use her powers of granting youth, beauty and invincible charms to you, me and all our ILs here. We'll all go back in time and have a sparkling Valentines Day! I am happy St. Valentine gave all these lovers young and old a reason to kiss and make up on this Feb 14.
    Celebrate tomorrow in style...for love has no colour, race , language...NOR AGE.
    Mega

6. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

hI mega..
    nice post.. I love flowers being gifted to me..but I too agree that they look best left on the bushes..
    happy Valentines day.... I've never celebrated it as for me and my Hubby.. everyday is that we are together is special..
    K

7. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kelly
    If there's love, equilibrium in a relationship (wife/Hus, son/dauhgter, father/son etc. etc.) every day is a celebration. In fact, I haven't planned anything "out of the world for V-D", since we both will be working and kids have school...may be just a quiet dinner!
    So heres my basket of roses to you, for a good time with your family...tomorrow and everafter.
    MEGA

8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mega!
    Happy Valentines Day to you! I sincerely wish you get the gift of your preference - compressed carbon! :)
    I was agape at how smoothly you brought the stone in while describing the sweet, soft, and mellow beauty of the rose! Good!

I was sad reading about your co-worker's sense of loneliness; it sure must be hard for her an dI am sure she is very appreciative of your gesture to show that you all care!

Love is strong emotion and can do wonders ans spread joy to all around us.

Good one Mega.

9. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Megalife...
    Wow what a start and not to miss the magnificient ending too....I never gave a thought about valentines day but your article is making me too that too on the eve....Great going dear..Happy Valentines day....

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Megalife,

Very nice to see this wonderful snippet from you.

Thanks Megalife for your wishes. Wish you the very same. Want to add here that I was floored by your description and the beauty of your language. :)

1 person likes this.