1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Something Lost Something Gained

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Feb 13, 2012.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]What does it take one to be happy? This is a question that has been popping into my mind very often of late. Of course, it has been more of a rhetorical question arising out of the fact that I have had the opportunity over the past couple of years to experience the small pleasures of life that bring us joy.

Life has grounded me physically for a while, but it has put me in a position where I can say : "I enjoy this life with nary a care, I have plenty of time to stand and stare". And what I see when I stare, hear when I listen fills me with a joy which nothing else, no riches on earth could provide me with.

This has been the time when I have experimented with writing - something which I always fancied doing, but never had the time or ideas for. I have had the time to watch some glorious sunsets, observe the various flowers and trees around me. This year has also brought a host of birds to my doorstep and I have enjoyed the sheer bliss of listening to their tantalizing calls, running to the window or balcony to spot them. And I have got to see the most beautiful birds outside of picture books and National Geographic. This time has given me the opportunity to bring out my camera and capture these moments for posterity. It gave me the opportunity to be at home, bring my mom to stay with me and look after her for nearly a couple of years. I had the opportunity to improve my computer skills, join IL and a few other websites, make a lot of new friends ..... These are the friends I chat with almost every day, friends who make me laugh and help keep my spirits up.

It has taught me to be cheerful and patient. It has really opened my eyes and made me realize from my heart that every adversity is a mixed blessing. When God closes one door, he opens another. Both have to go hand in hand - you lose something, you gain another. And believe me, there is a huge difference between hearing this said, believing in it and really and truly experiencing it.

So I am really grateful to Sani Bhagwan for having put me through the grinder to learn these important lessons in life. I am grateful that I had to stop work for a while, otherwise I would never have had the time or energy to stand and stare.[/JUSTIFY]

Attached Files:

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Satchi
    I’ll have to get Kamalji again to help me out. This is a remarkable post ‘as only you can write’. And you have started it with the most vexing question that has remained unanswered since the dawn of time. Happiness is the epitome of elusiveness! In comparison to its fleeting tendency, a flash in the pan pales into insignificance. Was Eve able to answer in the affirmative when Adam seeing her taking a bite of the Forbidden Fruit asked her lovingly if she was now happy? Mind you, Adam was entitled to an affirmative answer after he took the momentous step of plucking the Fruit off the tree for her, muddying himself in the process. And what was Eve’s reaction to Adam’s loving enquiry? A grumpy face as ever! I shouldn’t be talking too much about it on the eve (Eve again!) of Valentine’s Day!

What is remarkable about this thread of yours is that it makes the reader happier than the writer. I have always been advocating that communicating happiness is a lot more important than just feeling happy. You have done just that here. Life abounds with delightful spectacles but we have no time for them until we are ‘grounded’. When we are active, we are blind. When we are ‘grounded’, we become wide awake. What an irony it is, isn’t it?

You are blessed with a writing skill that enables you to make others feel exactly what you feel, see exactly what you see and experience exactly what you experience. That picture that you have attached is spellbinding and makes me speechless. It happens every day without fail but we open our eyes to it only once in a way. May God bless us with the competency to see true Godliness in everything around us all the time!
    Sri

7 people like this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Satchi dear morning when I saw your profile I noticed that you are creating a new thread.So I was waiting to see your new thread and give the first fb. But I am happy and you are lucky that you got the first fb from my dear Anna, who is a great writer.

This is a thought provoking post and after reading Anna's fb I dont know what to write. Otherwise also I am not so good in giving fbs. If I give also I dont know how to put it in writing my feelings. I always admire you as with all the health problems also you take pains to write such wonderful posts.

Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder ...
    - Henry David Thoreau

I am going now to nominate this post

5 people like this.
  4. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

Satchi,
    As I read your post, it was the phrase "Stop and smell the roses" that popped up in my mind oft. In this rat race of life, very often we fail to see the pleasure in small things. I'm glad you had (and still have) the opportunity to do so. There is nothing as mesmerizing as watching the skies, isn't it? [Loved the attached picture.]

@Vijima,
    That quote has always been one of my favourites, and I thought of posting it here. But you beat me to it. :)

2 people like this.
  5. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Kottravai dear glad you liked the quote

6. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Satchi..
    to begin on a lighter note....in honesty I must say that at the moment all I wish to lose is a few kgs but what I manage to do is only gain them!!!..
    your post was a delightful read..its such a pleasure to read your posts most of the time.. they reflect your state of "happiness".. you know what satchi.. its such a relative feeling.. I too like you am satisfied with whatever I have but most of the management gurus say that it means that you are stagnating growth???... weird world we live in..
    kerman

2 people like this.
  7. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,
    A thought provoking post!!By your wonderful narration and a eye feasting photo you made us think about the real happiness we miss in our busy life .
    Nature is one of the greatest sources of happiness. In fact, humans had lived in the lap of nature for millions of years and their stay in modern cities is comparably very very short. Still now majority of them lives in close proximity to nature.
    Nature understands your moods. If you are sad, it is also sad with you. But it does not make you sadder. It does not lead you to further despair. It applies gentle balm to your wounds. It sits besides you like a mother, spouse, brother or sister, or a friend and embraces you, talks to you, listens to you patiently, empathizes with you. Slowly it lifts your spirits, makes you to see your little woes, worries, and wounds in the right perspective of infinite time and space. You smile; you laugh; and you are happy again.Don't forget to smell the air and feel the breezes too. All of these things will bring a sense of comfort, wonder and a bit of joy to someone who is going through life alone, has no family or who may be in a depressing time in their life.

with love
    pad

2 people like this.
  8. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi...
    Lovely post filled with positivity am sure whoever reads this will know where to find the happiness in their life....

1 person likes this.
  9. EverHappy

EverHappy Platinum IL'ite

Beautiful Post Satchi,

So positive.. Like Sri sir has said, the post made me happier than it probably made you :)

Thank you

1 person likes this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sats
    The first answer that popped in mind to your opening question was Abraham Lincoln's quote, "Happiness is a state of the mind".

I enjoyed reading your article and the feedbacks.

You make lemonades when lifes gives you lemons my dear! We enjoy your articles as much as you enjoy writing them.

That is beautiful picutre of the rising sun..a promise of hope, fresh new day, and yes a day promising happiness!

Very nice article Sats; only I am not able to given an apt feedback that it deserves.

2 people like this.