1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

FEBRUARY.... go fly!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mansimahi, Feb 1, 2012.

1. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

So, the year 2012 is in its second month.... (january went so fast that my head is still spinning :shock: ) It is February already!!! I hate February’s....dont know why ...but I do...I always have!! It is a gloomy month...after all the excitement, hope and thrill of the beginning of new year in january , time settles to a boring monotonous routine...people break their resolutions which they excitedly made in January and get back to being the same old ppl with the same old vices they had in December... and yet there is some sort of dullness everywhere!!! Lot of people feel the same about February....there is something just not right about this month.

First thing is ...look at the name...FEBRUARY....the thing that gets my goat about the name is the spelling... the spelling and pronunciation don’t match – my English teacher insisted that we pronounce it as FEB U ARY. (i don’t know if it is right though) What happens to the R between B and U.... I mean, if you are not supposed to pronounce the R, then why have it in the first place.... ????:rant Look at January... and other months....they are all pretty straightforward...you pronounce the month the way you spell it...but nooo not this month....february HAS to be pretentious!!! This month also has the dubious distinction of having the most mangled pronunciations ever – febree – februvary – febrary – febraire- feburary – febyooary – febravary- you can call it anything..and expect that the other person would understand...and strangely they do understand. :bonk Whoever coined the word FebRuary wasn’t thinking straight !!!! My 5 year old also thinks the same when she is learning the spelling of the month.

February is also the month of VALENTINE DAY!!!! Need i say more? This day supposedly the day for love succeeds in causing more heartbreaks and breakups than any other day. I cannot understand the need for a special day to declare and celebrate ones love... shouldn’t that be an everyday thing? Valentines day is a special day only for retailers of cards and gifts... The high expectations for a schmaltzy, mushy romantic day, ends with a reality check and a huge hole in our pocket while those retailers go laughing all the way to the bank.
    Call me cynical, but i think it is more important to express ones love in everyday simple gestures than to buy over-expensive gifts, dinner and what not....just so that the other person knows you love them. I even hate the mushy cards...why rely on words written by someone else to express YOUR love???? The worse thing is people ask “what did you get from your dh for valentine” so that they can proceed to bragging about what THEY got !! :bonk! Young girls get huge teddy bears, chocolates, perfumes as gifts... and not so young girls like me are lucky if the dh manages to remember to get something for us .... (hmm..that reminds me i have to start dropping "hints" to dh so that i do get a gift :p)

In places like Mumbai, bangalore, valentine day is dreaded....one never knows when the culture police and the moral brigade will come to bash young couples celebrating valentines day. Any other days these couples can do what they want.....but NOT on Valentines day.... the culture police doesn’t like “love” and “romance” on valentines day...strange logic that! :bowdown And for those who are single...the commercial craziness of romance wherever you go...increases the feelings of inadequacy and loneliness...and for those who have loved and lost – it reminds them more of what they lost and makes them more depressed. So much for the day of love!!! :rant

Another thing that is crazy about this month is the length of the month.... just when we think that this month thankfully has just 28 days....bang comes an extra day from nowhere when you least expect it...:bang this year being a leap year has 29 days!!! Leap year has its own share of craziness...apparently a belief about leap year is that if a girl proposes to a man on the leap day ..ie the 29th of the month....he is obliged to accept her. So all you girls out there who want to get married ....be ready to propose any guy you like on the 29th of february and guys out there who don’t want to commit go hide from chasing women :hide:

One good thing about February is that it is short :yes:.....give me MARCH, APRIL or any other month of the year....as far as i am concerned ..february can go fly or take a leap and jump straight to march !!! :drowning

15 people like this.

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Good thoughts Sumitha about February...hahaha

I thing becoz Jan goes so fast and Feb becomes a bit dull they have kept this day called Valentine in between to celebrate so we will not become dull.
    Rightly said why do we want a special day to express our love to our loved one can't we just show our love to them in everyday's small gestures. Ya I just can't understand why in India they consider this day as a crime among those lovers.:bonk
    Last year I was in India on this day. Yeap this year too will be there on this day.:) And I was expecting my son going out with his GF, he came back from college and was just at home. I asked him you are not going anywhere out tonight?? Mom you want your son to be in Jail....
    I asked him why are you speaking this way. If a young boy even if he takes his own sister and walks on the street these police guys will put them in jail thinking that we both are having an affair, with out even listening to us what is our relation between us and you asking me to take P out?? no way let us be at home. Safe. This is in a small city what about those metros?? I got to hear so many incidents next day in the news.... Really crazy.
    That is really crazy about this leap year.....hehehe
    one of my cousin got married on 29th FEb and they have to celebrate once in 4 year....poor couple.:) and think of those who are born on this day...should they consider 4 years = to 1 year of they age...haha

4 people like this.
  3. swarnalata.N.S.

swarnalata.N.S. Platinum IL'ite

Amusing post. You give so much thinking to a month ? ! ....oh, I dint know February's R should not be pronounced !....actually, I have always liked Feb. because, it is end of class year. No more portions to do in class. And there will be annual day. All this when I stufdied also, now for my son's school also. So Feb. is Fab. hehehehe!

1 person likes this.
  4. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

Last few years has been really bad for youngsters who want a day out with their gf/bf...they manage to escape the parents wrath but somehow get caught by the moral brigade...who have some really taliban-like ideas about love and valentine day. It is good that your son sensibly stayed at home on that day.... he can always go with his girl friend some other day... Married couple, bros/sis, gf/bf, just friends - noone is spared!!!

OMG...anniversary on 29th ??? Out of 365 days in a year, they had to choose the "extra" day that comes once every 4 years to get married... but i guess celebrating anniversary once in 4 years will make it extra special...!!! I would have liked to be born on 29th feb.... it will give me a valid excuse to reduce my age :p

Thanks Aruna...

1 person likes this.
  5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mansi,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

what a hilarious post this one is, cant stop laughing. You are the limit. A special hate for Feb eh !

Well our ex prime minister Morarji Desai, who died at 100 , close about, the one who used to drink urine, i mean his own, was born on the 29th of Feb, so the poor chap died at 100 and must have celebrated just a quarter of his birthday, of course with his own brand of a juice, so he should be angry for being born in Feb, why u ?

And my daughter is born valentines day, so it will save her husband an extra gift eh ! So i will give a few lakhs less dowry, bcs i am saving him a lot in the coming years by way of gifts eh ! HAHA

And dont u think, we pay for 30 days or work to the staff, and they do work for only 28 days ? That is why id ont like Feb.HAHA

Superb one, keep them coming.

Regards

kamal

2 people like this.
  6. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sumitha , Oh u have got reasons to hate Feb!!

Well , I always love feb coz my bday falls during this month , luckily i was born few days before 29th on a leap year..else i wud be only quarter of my age..:)

One more reason is that I met my DH for the first time in Feb.He sent a bouquet for that valentine day(as he claimed) but i never recieved it :rant. I received his first gift for my birthday that year.Ofcourse,he forgot my birthday,next year, after wedding :spin

Guess,the valentines day celebration is boosted by greeting card suppliers and gift outlets..:hide: and one more excuse for the lovers(??) to celebrate..And these shops are doing a great business during that time..I remeber a fwd message claiming 'Why Nov 14th is celebarted as Childrens day? Because it is exactly 9 months after Valentines day..':hide: :)

During my school days, we had final exams in mar/april and revision exams in jan. So annual day will be celebrated in Feb and lots of reharsals(reasons:bonk)to bunk the class..

So I love Feb though the spelling is tough :) :thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  7. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

Come to think of it even our school annual day was conducted in feb....but that meant less time for studying and more time for rehearsals and before we know it... exams in march will be upon us.... so one more reason for me to hate feb :p

Thanks swarna for visit and your fab comments abt feb :)

8. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

He lived upto 100.... drank his own urine... goes to prove that the eccentricity of the month doesnt spare some people born on that month either !!! hahahaha!! But seriously, I know many people born in the month of february and they are very intelligent, perceptive and a bit different from others....just like the month.

Your daughter's birthday falls on valentine day?? wow.... it would mean less expense for you but MORE for her husband.....he would have to give grand and more expensive gifts to make up for double celebration... if i were in her place.. i wouldnt be satisfied with one gift... for an occassion that wsa doubly special :)

Yes...we get our salaries early for less days but then bills also come equally early.... :p

Thanks kamal ji for your feedback in your inimitable hilarious style :)

9. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

:)

Thanks nihasvin :)

10. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Wow, looks like you just read my mind MM, wonderful write up. I was just checking the calendar and feeling more gloomy about the one extra day - 29 that comes with this month, for a different reason though. I really hate the extreme cold, cloudy, sunless, life less winters, especially Feb, when all the fun of Thanksgiving, Christmas and New year has already gone and life has gone back to the monotonous dry, depressing, sunless days. I am eagerly waiting for Spring/Summer, starting March and eagerly singing 'Feb Feb go away(in the tune of rain rain go away)' :)

1 person likes this.