1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Just an empty glass?!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

[JUSTIFY]
    Not so recently, I had an opportunity to meet an enlightened/self-realized person. Now, for the life of me, I do not understand these words but that does not mean I do not have a reason to be amazed or be curious. Anyways, before my meeting with him through a friend, he wanted to know a little about me and to my surprise sent me a questionnaire which consisted of many deeper and philosophical questions. I only had a vague idea of a swami and that of philosophy from Indian perspective, if I am allowed to say that, generalizing. I tried my best, even read up a little bit and answered him and remembered to add that nobody had ever asked me like this, so I am not sure as to what the purpose was!

Further more, the fact is, I know that I do not believe in Swamis and if I ever go to any of these, it is with a pinch of salt and with my Grandmother's blessings! So as far as I was concerned, all I understood was that he was supposed to teach some meditation techniques and mentioned just that to him. He was very sweet and kind to apologize and say that he was so ingrained in American way of learning and having not met many Indians did not know how to approach. So he was appreciative of the fact that I had taken time and effort to answer him. I felt a little better and agreed to meet him.

So the first time as I sat in front of him, I was surprised for I did not expect such a young man, barely in his mid 20s! I was stunned in fact, for he was a young Caucasian American who from nowhere had inherited a ton of knowledge about our Vedas, Philosophy, Yoga Sutras and things like that - he somehow had an inherent knowledge about all of this in spite of not being ever exposed to any of these. After some pleasantries, all he did was sit and smile! So to break the ice I asked him as to what he thought about my answers implying in turn about me and if I am ready for this meditation and things like that! He looked at me, asked me to give him a minute, walked into the kitchen and brought out an empty clean 'glass' glass and put it in the middle of the table and pointed to it!

I have never claimed to be an evolved soul or even extraordinary in any way but this gesture certainly perplexed me. Being the average normal human that 'I' am - a mother and a wife I assumed that I am as empty as that glass! Really an empty glass! Come on, 'I' must have some substance, don't I? But, I am not a person who likes to live by assumptions so I mustered up my breath and asked him exactly the same thing - if he thought I was as empty as that glass.

Now his answer surprised me even more as he said, 'yes that is how I see you right now. Inspite of our interactions, I have not assumed anything and hence not formed an opinion about you and I am here today looking at you as that glass, simply as you are with no pre conceived notion – nothing in there but that just pure divine you! Needless to say I was surprised even though at that moment I did not quite comprehend what he meant and no, I never learnt any meditation from him - a whole different story!

Thank fully I do have the ability to tuck away information in my mind without an opinion and was surprised when this past weekend while talking to a friend about some personal issues, I was suddenly reminded of this episode with this Swamiji that had happened almost two years ago. Now sleeping on it for a couple of days I do realize that I have finally learnt to look at some relationships if not all of them with that clean empty glass perspective. I have learnt to let go and not hold on to anything that has happened in the past with these few relationships and believe me, it feels refreshingly good. And well, yes if I can do this to all my relationships, I think I will be that Swamiji :) so, let me hasten to assure you that I do have miles and miles to go before I sleep - yes, just like Robert Frost says!

Anyways, just When I think I should simply dismiss that thought, for how long can we be the ones being the generous letting go ones, what do I come across? This quote by Richard Bach - The world is your exercise-book, the pages on which you do your sums. It is not reality, although you can express reality there if you wish. You are also free to write nonsense, or lies, or to tear the pages."

By choosing to write our own books the way we want, we indeed are creating an opportunity to be able to see that glass for simply what it is – either empty or full and if full, empty it and start over, write a new page in that story! How incredible is that knowing that we have a choice of letting go for we as Richard Bach says again, are indeed being led by this Inner learning creature, thus only attracting what we need in our lives and leading us and weaving that path for us!

"You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self. Don't turn away from possible futures before you're certain you don't have anything to learn from them. You're always free to change your mind and choose a different future, or a different past." - Richard Bach.

Trusting that creature, tearing away those pages on which stories are already written, we are indeed given an opportunity to look at most relationships we come across like the way that Swamiji put across! It will take a while, may be the entire of this life time or may be even more but no harm in trying atleast, is there?
    [/JUSTIFY]

14 people like this.

2. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Good post. Wish I could be able to see at least some relationships like that. Unfortunately have some preconceived notions about some people based on past experiences and am still unable to forget the past and start the relation on a clean slate.

3. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

Good one Sabitha.

The post made me think philosophically. If you see bit deeply you would notice that the empty glass is not really empty, it is filled with air. The "empty" glass is full of air. So, air takes up space. Air has no size or shape of its own but will fill every space it can. :)

4. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

:clap:clap:clap:clap

Very good perspective you have put in writing.. Looking at each relationship as "Clean Empty glass", Reading your snippet almost gave soothing feeling..
    And life is a book of pages.. we have the right to write non-sense, lie & tear it away.. what a great meaning this sentence has..

Yes, it will be woderful world if we can look at people like an empty glass without prejudice.. But as you said it will be a journey of miles and years ahead...
    Thanks for sharing this experience & thoughts on this...

5. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Thanks for explaining a good philosophy in an interesting manner.

6. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Beautiful post dear Srama. Great narration!!!

7. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabitha ..You amaze me each time with ur snippet and your constant drive to reflect on the everyday things/ incidents around you to achieve inner peace.
    I loved the quote life is an exercise book..is it not indeed..?I believe we almost always have the ability to decide how to live our life .Same with relationships....its a lot of work (with a lot of erasers) but well worth the effort.

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you superwoman for your response. We all have that - it is ok. We can only pick one at a time and keeep moving.

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you Aspire!

Aren't you supposed to be helping me. Now here I am talking of not seeing what is visibly present in a glass and you go and remind me of the air!! Just kidding. That is the truth, whether we see it or not, there is something but .... we have a choice not to see it if we want to move past or forward!

Thank you as always for your response!

2 people like this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

and that statement alone made me smile. Thank for that very sweet comment.

I love reading Richard Bach and even many re-reads I am yet to tore of them!

true...I am often wondering about the way we look at people and situations because of our own expereinces but that is human nature. To shrug off and restart means be in the present and present only.

Thank you for your response pallavi4me :)