1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Rich and Varied Heritage

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jan 8, 2012.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

OK, let me start by telling you what a patriotic Indian I am. [​IMG] I live by the Indian pledge which I have taken very seriously. The bit about "I have a rich and varied heritage and I shall strive to be worthy of it"? Well, having learned the pledge and recited it every single morning in the school assembly, I was really inspired to follow up word by action. And I think I can now proudly announce that "I have a rich and varied heritage and have proved to be worthy of it".

Let me explain further. I have taken the very best from the genetic pool that both my parents had to offer. From dad's side I have inherited: a "healthy" constitution (btw, being a true blue foodie is also from this side of the family) :rotfl, good hair, a sense of humour, acidity, arthritic tendencies, thyroid deficiency and from my mom's side chronic sinusitis and migraines. :bowdown Now isn't that a real rich and varied heritage?

So, having proved to be such a worthy offspring of my parents, I have run into a sort of sticky situation. The problem is - no prizes for guessing - what do I eat?

I should be eating ice creams and drinking chilled milk (that was the theory in the 70s, latest theory being milk irritates the gastric lining - which one do I believe) to soothe my acidity. :biggrin2 But my sinusitis dictates that I drink hot soup with pepper or hot coffee, or hot drinking chocolate. :coffee My migraine frowns strictly on all these - cheese, chocolate and coffee are all time enemies of this friend of mine. No tomatoes, no tamarind (read no rasam, sambar, vettakozhambu), no sour curd, no cucumbers, no pepper, no ginger, no coffee, no tea for my acidity. :rant

My tendency to be a bit er... "healthy" means I should avoid ice cream, dairy products, rice, potatoes, beetroots etc. :spin

Add to this no cauliflower, no cabbage, no sulphurous vegetables, no broccoli for hypothyroidism. No spinach if I want to keep away water retention and a swollen face at bay. :bang

This is like the proverbial parent with the warring offsprings. Which child do you satisfy? :drowning

So what choice does that leave me with? Bottle gourd (dudhi, sorrakai), pumpkin, yam, raw plantains. Surely, if I eat this for 5 days, I will go hop, skip and jump to join Anna Hazare on his fasts and shall offer to hold the fort in the intervening periods between all of them. :idea Certainly it will help me overcome my very "healthy" appearance and lo and behold, there will be another friend who comes to visit me - anorexia. Witsend

But then I will have proved the statement I started out with i.e. I am a true patriot.

14 people like this.

2. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

My dear Sats,

I fully understand..it is a real pain to have so many restrictions and if you are a foodie, all the more worse.But one thing that keeps you going (and anyone who is with you, roaring with laughter ) is your sense of humour.I sincerely pray that nothing ever happens to that .
    as to all these dont you worry..it is just a phase that will soon pass. Remember the self cooked meal that I keep promising you ??? I promise to let you choose from my menu list, okay? Now, that should surely cheer you up ???? :cheers

2 people like this.
  3. satchitananda

Hi Mindi,

thanks so much for the super quick reply. :-D Yup, I don't forget (nor do I let anyone forget) such offers as a self-cooked meal and I already have my menu ready. My request is baked potatoes with cheese, mushrooms and salad. :-D

Looking forward to that meal Mindi. :biggrin2:

4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

arrey, yeh tho mere bhaaye haath ka khel hain, Don't you deserve something more exotic ???(On that note goodnight from me..hoping to dream of what I can cook for you )....LOL.

2 people like this.
  5. kAlyaniShAnti

kAlyaniShAnti IL Hall of Fame

[​IMG] Kudos to you, Satchi, for your unparallel ability to transform any tangible or non-tangible ingredient into hot and humorous dish ! I am sure it quenches your thirst and hunger for the real-cooked no-no dishes as it surely does to the readers!

4 people like this.
  6. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Sorry for your health issues... But i salute your spirit...My DW is good at finding substitutes andrecepies... She will give you more options... we will be... me & my kids... more than happy to welcome you to the gang of GP...

On a serioud note... i have a friend who can help you with your health issues...
    Veda

1 person likes this.
  7. satchitananda

Hey Kalyani, so nice to see you here. Thanks so much for the lovely, colourful comment. :)

8. satchitananda

Hi Veda,

Thanks so much for the fb. :-D By the way, what is "GP"?

9. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hmmmmm Satchi so many restriction?????
    My head was spinning reading your post, but you have done it with this humorous dish as Kalyanishanti says....
    How do you manage everything without nothing to have......
    Oh I just cannot give up so many dishes:)

1 person likes this.
  10. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Satchi
    do not worry there are many of us who have the same issues,sometimes I feel it is not worth sticking to so many restrictions,let lose some days and eat what you enjoy and you will surely overcome the problems.They say tough people last long.
    Well written.

2 people like this.