1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vacations in village......

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by knbg, Nov 30, 2011.

1. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

During my childhood, I would spend my vacations with my grandparents in our village.......

A big house.....cattle......many hands to help and pamper....happy days....Those memories are etched in my heart and I can feel the relaxation even now on ruminating......:coffee

Early morning.......

I would wake up to the calls of Drongos and Cuckoos.....

The house would get busy.......big Kolams with rice powder and Kaavi.....
    Feeding the Cows.....Cleaning and mopping.....AIR news.....

Filter Coffee....:coffee..Steaming Idlis......

My duty...pick flowers and make garlands to deities at the temple...

After our temple visit....my grandpa would grab me.....tsk
    One page Handwriting....
    Grammar from "his" Wren and Martin......
    Slokas.....
    I would do the duties relishing the aroma from the kitchen, which is in the other Kattu or part of the big house.....

Then, the post-man would arrive....with post-cards/Inland letter/Wedding invitations-printed in pink and yellow/ Air-mail from Uncle abroad....A small discussion about the letter , and we would start our lunch.........a heavy lunch, with grandma's delicacies and thick, tasty curd.....pickles......vadaams( fritters)...:drool

Then I would be allowed to enter grandpa's room where bound volumes of tamil magazines Kalki and Ananda Vikadan serial stories.( from 1940s to 1970s...)...stacked neatly in a glass book-shelf.......mmm...the room would smell of camphor.....with diffused sunlight entering through a glass tile studded on the red-tiled roof.....

While my grandparents would settle for their siesta, I would pick a book and enter the other part of the house...leaning on a huge,wooden pillar.....with a bowl of peanuts or other home-made snacks...I would start reading......

Enjoying the silence, I would immerse in the book...relishing the works of great tamil writers, Kalki, Devan, Merina.....

"chirp,chirp , chirp"......a couple of cheerful sparrows drop in to the courtyard....I would watch them.....

"Keech,keech,keech"......Squirrels....having their afternoon snack of peanuts, that are left to dry in the court yard.....

Then, from the distant trees, I would hear the bul-buls,wag-tails,crow-peasants,magpies......I would put my book back, get out to the back yard and enjoy the songs of our feathered friends.....The cloudy afternoon with golden sunshine playing hide and seek...It is bliss......

"ding.....,ding......,ding......."the Old Wall-Clock would chime three times......I would be back inside ....evening coffee, home-made sweets and snacks......

Some days I would get to watch my grandpa servicing the clock....,re-fitting his bi-cycle..., monitoring threshing during harvest....,Re-vamping the pump-set room near paddy fields........

Evening 6....puja....then , early dinner....locking up all the doors....and I would settle to sleep with my grandma......lulled by her mythological stories.....Sweet dreams....

I still dream of the relaxed,quiet,happy ,pampered,vacations in the village......

How about your vacations, friends.......

23 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Bhargavi dear a very Good Morning. So happy to read about your childhood days in the village whichbrought back my childhood days. Will come back later as its time to start my day. I felt as if I was there with you enjoying . Well narrated

1 person likes this.
  3. esbanu

esbanu Gold IL'ite

Good Morning..

very nice narration.. i am in ithe village when i reading ur post.. the big house.. grandpaents.. birds sounds.. kitchen smells... flowers poojas... really nice...:)

1 person likes this.
  4. Parasu

Parasu Bronze IL'ite

Hi

Good vacation.... I think u have missed a lot....
    Remembering old days...it gives to think for new...
    I never saw village ... i missed i feel by reading ur happy vacation in village....

Amrutha

1 person likes this.
  5. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Hi Bhargavi,

Vacations in village with grandparents - most memorable moments which give a pleasant feel to the mind whenever I remind those days.
    Just last week I got to remember those fine days and wrote in my blog 2 days back itself. You can have a look at it in leisure. The link is added in my signature.
    Those days are most cherishable days for me.
    I enjoyed a lot reading your post too. My eyes are following the words but my mind was visualising your narration into pictures and I felt as if had a fresh vacation along with you to your grandparents village.

Regards,
    Latha.

1 person likes this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Bhargavi,

Lovely description of the village home and vacations spent there. Your words bring back the sounds and smells of the past very vividly. Enjoyed the feeling nostalgia which your post brought back. Have nominated your post.

Thanks for the lovely post. :)

2 people like this.
  7. mikku

mikku Gold IL'ite

what a delightful post, Bhargavi....enjoyed the aroma of the idlis, chirping of the birds and all the little sweet things of the idyllic village atmosphere...brought back so many memories, deserves the nomination!

8. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Knbg

Along with all this didn't you go into the fields?? Afternoon was the time for us all kids to run into the field when all at home taking they afternoon nap. The workers in the field too would be waiting for us. Maize and jowar we use to pluck from the field and the workers there would fry or steam it and give us even after having our lunch we use to still sit and eat.:) As they know we will be coming sometimes they use to keep it read for us after having the nice feast would then go to catch the scropins, I was very frightened of them:hide: but my other cousins wouldn't get afraid they use to catch them by the tail and tie them on a rope like the way we hung the clothes for drying.:) It would be a competition who is going to catch the most. I use to only search for them and show them here is one and there. It would be fun.

And the other thing is the pigs in the villages, now a days when I go to my native I don't see them much but when we were small they would be so many and use to frighten them and make them run hilter shelter, they use to make such squeaky noise and use to throw stones on them. But now if you think about it, we feel we were so rude to these animals. :bonk

As a huge family we require lot of water we use to have servants but it would be fun drawing water from the well as much as we can we use to do it once we hear grandpa's voice all of use to run away.

The best part was morning 9 to 10 and evening 5 to 6 my grandpa was like a judge in the village, the villagers use to come with all sorts of problems and it would be interesting to sit and hear them and the solutions that grandpa use to give. It would be myself and one of my cousin all use to tell these 2 will become lawyers...hehehe
    He became a lawyer but not me.:)

My grandma was the hitler in the house but I use to love the way she use to manage her 9 DILs.
    Thanks for taking me back to my childhood into my native world. Most memorable and treasured holidays. I use to have every year.

9 people like this.
  9. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bhargavi...,
    You have dusted one of the most cherished but stowed away memories of my life...those sloww laid back life n the fun n treats recieved from my granpa n mom are really ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

1 person likes this.
  10. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vitamin Viji aunty.....
    Good morning.....Thankyou aunty..for your sweet,first feedback.....Happy that you enjoyed the post....Bow