1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Normal vs Differently normal

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Nov 22, 2011.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]I have been thinking about writing this snippet since the last two days. Actually it was a film I saw Saturday on Discovery Channel that made me want to write about this topic. Add to it, the present discussion on this forum about people who are differently oriented accentuated (to me) the stark difference between human beings and animals.

Well, while this one is not about this particular category of people, it certainly is about people who are differently abled, differently oriented as well as those who look different from the "normal".

The film focussed on the progress made by a white lion cub born in a litter of normal lion cubs, a light coloured alligator as well as a baby monkey. These animals were born white due to a mutation in a gene which coded for their colour. The question was whether they would survive in the wild. For one, their colour deprived them of their advantage of camouflage, which they would have otherwise have had. That would make them easy prey to their predators. The second one was whether they would be able to find a mate and reproduce.

Interestingly enough, the lion cub was accepted unquestioningly by the rest of the pride. It learned to play with its siblings and to stalk and capture prey on its own. Within a few years it had found its mate who accepted him in spite of his colour. He was no more or less successful than the rest of his sibs. Reminded me of the story of the ugly duckling (though the furry, white cub was by far the cutest of the lot :) ).

The crocodile baby even more interestingly was the only one of the clutch that survived. He learned to devise different tactics to capture prey (where even other "normal" crocodiles managed to be spotted by the prey before they attacked). Not only that, he too got a mate who had no objections on grounds of colour or lack thereof.

The little monkey died of a fall when his mother and other monkeys in the family were trying to escape an attack by some other bigger animal. (It was heart rending to see the mother refusing to accept that he was dead and carrying him around for 3 days and 3 nights).

This made me really think. We claim to be the most intelligent, most highly evolved species in the animal kingdom. We arrogate to ourselves a "civilization" which claims to "cater" to and to protect the interests of the weakest sections of society. We presume ourselves to be the most sensitive of all living beings.

Yet we are unable to accept people who are not "normal" like us, people who are not as "good looking" and "fair" like us. We consider ourselves to be superior to our "less fortunate" brethren. (Who said they are less fortunate or less capable? Every being is endowed with a will to live and to survive the severest odds. They would survive without our help or should I say in some cases in spite of our help). The lions did not discriminate against the white cub. The monkeys did not abandon the different baby. We not only abandon people who are different, but kill even "normal" females, only because their gender is different from that of males.

We have so much to learn from others beasts and animals before we evolve to their level of civilization. We have miles to go before we sleep.

[/JUSTIFY]

28 people like this.

2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Very true and beautifully written Satchi. As a species we have much to learn from the animals. We probably have the lowest tolerance for anything that deviates from 'norm'. Sad indeed!

1 person likes this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

A very touching snippet indeed. Nature is very fascinating and there is so much to learn by observing, no doubt about that. But as a human being I have begun to feel more and more certain that the big difference is the so called 'mind' that we have. While almost all animals use the brain for the basic skills and as needed, we pride ourselves in using it more effectively and effieciently, in the process missing out seeing things and situations with our hearts, which would indeed help us be better beings. It is the heart Dear Satchi that makes the difference!

6 people like this.
  4. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi.....A very deep and touchy post friend...:2thumbsup:...you have written straight from your heart.....a very soft heart indeed......:thumbsup

I wish to quote a psychologist......She said ...." Why should a woman take so many efforts to beautify herself.....it means she herself thinks that only by enhancing and show casing her features , she can get due acknowledgement.....there is no woman who is ugly....each one is beautiful as she is....only attitude and outlook matters"

Your post is an eye-opener......our animal friends who have five senses are more sensible than us.......though we have our sixth sense........

Thanks dear for this post.......:hatsoffBow

4 people like this.
  5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

6. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi
    I too saw this program a few days back. it was really sad and I almost had tears in my eyes. But you brought this out in such a beautiful form. Seeing this I feel animals are more intelligent then humanbeings and more loving and caring, only thing is they cannot speak or might be we cannot understand they language.
    It is just love that is important and we humans cannot even give that to each other, which is the saddest part of humanity.
    Loved your write up.

2 people like this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Thanks JAG. BTW, I love your new avatar. It's so cute. :)

8. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Satchi..
    very touching post.. as I always say to people who get scared to enter my house because of Harley my lab.. "its the people who you should fear as they always invariably back stab.. my doggie only has a loud bark as he is so happy to see visitors.. otherwise he is absolutely harmless"..
    'Human Mind"... is a complex organism.. always trying very hard to elevate the self and put others down.. insecure!!!..
    Kerman
    P.S... I've written to you on Kamalji's thread 3rd gender.. pl. read

1 person likes this.
  9. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Satchi
    A great observation indeed! It is that so called ‘sixth sense' that we pride ourselves about the root cause of our prejudices. Even when we write stories on animals and birds, we invest them with our prejudices and negative feelings. Otherwise how would you explain such a renowned writer as Hans Christian Anderson making the Ugly Duckling suffer in a hostile atmosphere because it was born with an uncouth appearance? Or take the Lion King. Someone as sensitive to animal nature as Walt Disney portrays the tussle between Simba and Scar as some kind of a tussle between a couple of gladiators!

The three cases that you have referred to show the animals as more humane than humans! Just look at the raging controversy about the Third Gender that Kamalji has drawn our attention to. Why are we not able to accept them as normal and accommodate them? Animals are certainly more magnanimous there. Incidentally, I read your FB to Kamalji and I agree with you totally on the vicious circle that we have caused against the 'Third Gender'. Like Kelly, I too appreciate your honesty in saying that you’ll have nothing to do with them when it comes to employing them as your help but that is precisely where we differ from the animals.

In the ultimate analysis, it would appear as though the Creator has given us the Sixth Sense only as a tool to destroy ourselves en route to the Cataclysm!
    Sri

3 people like this.
  10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

A very sensitive and touching blog, and u ended it very well, that we have miles to go till we reach their level of civilization. Yes they are more civilized than us, form the examples u gave us.Unrotuantely i dont watch these programmes, but now i sure will, than watching the corny movies over and over again.

Superb, something to think overr.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.