1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Expectations ....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

[JUSTIFY]
    Many a time, we hear people talk about not having expectations for they may end up in disappointments. I believe, it is not the expectations themselves that lead to the disappointments but our unprepradeness for that journey leading to those expectations that can lead to disappointments.

What else can teach me this lesson but the practice of yoga? A yoga buddy of mine is very particular about her yoga and infact has almost perfect postures - it is amazing to see her do her yoga routine - there is strength, there is grace, there is endurance and then there is that perfection in that posture. And BTW there are many like that in that studio and I could spend an entire day just watching and learning from them and that will just prepare me for my next half hour practice.

Anyways, unfortunately this buddy of mine has hurt herself and is not able to do certain poses as well now and tends to be hard and sometimes unforgiving on herself. While helping her, when our instructor mentioned to her that she must have known that injury was inevitable, I was surprised not only because of what he said but because of the casual way in which he mentioned. When I questioned him, he seemed surprised that I had not understood the fact that in my expectation of wanting to do a pose in a certain way, I was not prepared for the inevitability of an injury? Wow!!

I have been thinking about it since then - as a yoga student my expectations are to do the poses the way they have to be done - with the grace, the strength and the divine feeling one assoicates yoga with. However, I had not bargained for the fact that injury is a possibility, infact an inevitability - this, inspite of being injured already - I guess I had written it off for the lack of not following the methods explained. Further more, the hard reality as explained by my insrtuctor is, I may never be able to attain a pose the way it was meant to be - I was and am not totally prepared for this possibility yet. How can one put in all that work, blood and sweat, only to realise because of the simple reason like the way a person is built or because of that invisible injury, one may not reach that toe or jump those feet forward on to the elbows! Just how? Won't it make one question about the whole purpose?

The truth is we have set that expectation for ourselves, we just need to be aware of that path. What else can teach one to be a better person - to not only accept limitations, but also to keep trying for there still is something to learn by going as far as one could in that direction? You know what I mean? Just accepting and enjoying where we are, yet trying is all that matters and that it self can benefit us? How incredible is that?

Just because I am going to be disappointed with my inabaility to reach that perfect posture is not going to stop me from trying to do that - being aware of these disappointments on the way will help me only understand my own nature better. It will help me understand, that it is not my expectation but my inability to be ready for what that journey has to throw in will determine if my expectation will be worth it or disappointing.

Would you agree with me if I say that this is how most of the situations in life are - whether relationships or goals? We set out with certain expectations of ourselves and others and feel disappointed when things turn out otherwise. The reality is, one has to set out with expectations - otherwise how can we test our own mettle, give our best? And the harsher reality is disappointments and injuries on the way are inevitable but we must remember to keep in sight that journey with a sense of "ahimsa/non violence" - of being forgiving not only toward others but more importantly towards our own selves in our pursuits and in our journeys. As we weave our way through this, in the end, in this journey, our expectation need not change but our perception of that expectation may change if we learn to be better prepared or as prepared for the journey as we are prepared with the expectation itself.

And if the journey itself is easy, trust me we will only work harder to set higher expectations, if not in that area in another! We are human after all aren't we?
    [/JUSTIFY]

20 people like this.

2. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Dearest Srama,

I love the style in all your posts where a simple message is beautifully conveyed with sophisticated articulation which makes it alluring and can't avoid to skip. Needless to say you surpass all my expectations that I set on seeing the title whereupon the content is profound - quintessence of good living that only few can grasp.You need a sapient mind to think in this manner and a writer's vivid imagination to convey this in prose.

Sometimes I wonder which one of the tasks do I love the most. Is it reading your posts or giving feedback to it ? I realize that this kind of spontaneous feedback is instilled only when the snippet makes an indelible mark on the psyche. The element of your writing style that I love the most is how you relate day-to-day mundane chores to the grand scheme of things in life. I might disbelieve the proverbs in my pocketbook, doubt the abstract learnings from my self-motivation classes but would always remember your wise allegories. As they say that seeing is believing and I would add experiencing is convincing ! Hence, I have great reverence to these insights.

You seem to strike a perfect balance between the subject and its presentation. Not many can achieve this feat making the reader feel elated..:thumbsup

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
    8 people like this.
  3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabitha,

As I logged in today, your latest post caught my eyes and I could not resist the temptation to read it at once and I am so glad that I did! Like Uttaraa put it, you possess a certain style to convey a simple message beautifully with sophisticated articulation which is very alluring indeed. (I cannot better Uttaraa's words as she seems to be your kindred spirit with the similar ability to articulate!!):)

Whether you can bend, jump or twist yourself into the yoga postures or not, you surely can bend and twist words and play around with them, an ability which will not disappoint you no matter how high your expectations may be set!

"our expectation need not change but our perception of that expectation may change if we learn to be better prepared or as prepared for the journey as we are prepared with the expectation itself."--I read this line again and again with wonderment!

L, Kamla

8 people like this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Uttaraa,

thank you for that lovely feedback. What can I say other than that I am really touched - not just because of your words, but for the way you have understood and phrased it as well. Thank you! It made my day.

This always comes as a surprise for I am one of those people who believes that while we are waiting and doing things for that one defining moment, there are all these mundane moments actually defining our life! I cannot but help see life only that way and no other way. I love putting myself out of the moment, watch it and learn from it. I have had a friend or two say "oh boy, it must be so difficult for you to live with yourself". Though I smiled and acknowledged, the truth is I love it :)

Let me rush to assure you that your feed backs have the same effect on me! Thank you for the assurance that you not love to read the snippet but love to give the feed back as well. What more can I ask for?

Thank you for such a lovely feed back Uttaraa....I cannot say it enough.

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamla,

Thank you for your feedback. It is always such a pleasure to hear from you. Thank you for assuring me that I do have a way with words - articulating my feelings for this snippet was not the easiest of tasks yesterday when I started writing. So your words mean that much more.

And you have put across so beautifully what I have been trying to tell Uttaraa in these lines
    I could not agree more! Thank you for helping me there! She does have a wonderful way to express and I am often left in awe at her articulation!

6. anjananathan

anjananathan Platinum IL'ite

i thought of selecting few lines that has more beauty/meaning for writing my FB but i ended up in selecting the whole write up.. great post...

1 person likes this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you anjananathan, THAT is the sweetest feed back and brought a big smile to my face! Thank you for adding meaning to the snippet with those words.

8. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

A real energy drink for me in the morning.....Kudos to you!!Cant say anymore...

9. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

Lovely post Srama as always!

I guess, being conscious of ones thoughts and expectations in any situation helps one to manage them more effectively.

Just a clarity of thought is needed!

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rama,

Well , we must be pprepared for the disappointment of not being as nimble as we want to be, where yoga is concerned,All i can say is, do yr best, as best as uu can, wiothout overreaching yrself.

And if there are risks involved of injury, go slow.What is good for tghe goose may not be good for the gander, as wel learnt in school.

People have the hanit of thinking,if this does not go the way i want it, the world will end. too much expectation of the results. For ,me, i try and do my best, and if it does not go my way, i say, maybe something better is in store for me.

i dont know if i made any sense, in reply to yr wonderful post, classy it is, yr post i mean and not my reply,So be it.HAHA

Regards

kamal