1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Love for a son!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Megalife, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

I was watching this pink rose bud which was struggling to open its petals. A huge raindrop was stuck between the half opened petals. I shook of the water droplet, as if to give the bud a new leash of life.

Monsoons always (except the lightening, thunderbolts and violent winds) brought to me several fond memories, including the unexpected holidays declared on heavy showers day and students in drenched uniforms. Little were they aware that the drenching was by choice. I was an expert puddlejumper but my friend was really lame at it and mostly landed right in the middle of the muddy water. The puddle water used to be my tea and broken ceramic served as cookies for my imaginary tea parties.

Even in my imaginary parties I used to be well dressed, copying the style from the magazines which my mom used to read. Mehr Jessia used to be my idol. I loved her style and poise.

Wrapped in a tattered blanket borrowed from my mother- in- law, here I was staring at those wet pebbles, how cold they must be feeling!!! I drifted into the world of nostalgia as they infused into me some new warmth. The pregnant clouds above me were threatening to deliver anytime now a fresh downpour! The aroma of the soil mingled with the Pakodas being fired by my Mother in law. Why do people stereo-type all the MIL as monsters! I had the same prejudice when they had come home for the “official bride-seeing ceremony”. My MIL fair, short, pretty seemed a very assuming personality. That night amidst advices from many already married cousins, I was mentally preparing how I would deal with this personality who had those exceptional Grey cunning eyes. After marriage, I waited and waited with bated breath to see this monster show her true color, but alas it never happened. It has been over a decade since my marriage and I have no spicy MIL stories to share. I just know her as a simple old woman who happened to be born pretty and her personality just spread a wrong message across!! She loves to pamper her son, feed him well (the word colestrol, diabetes doesn’t exist in her dictionary)! I allow her all the “pampering honors”. She loves me for not snatching away her son from her, and I love her for giving me the most wonderful husband I could dream of.

Pakodas ready’ a scream from the kitchen jolts me back to reality. The aroma is mind blowing! The elachi tea is a bit too sweet but manageable. I sat there looking at her feeding her son and my son, her grey eyes lit with JOY! I went out to the garden; the pregnant clouds chose not to deliver today! The rose bud was making a serious effort to bloom. Tomorrow we will have a new pink rose!

36 people like this.

2. haagesummane

haagesummane Gold IL'ite

MegaLife , u have scribbled a fine piece..loved the way u compared fully filled clouds as being pregnant...!!!
    great work.. keep posting and happy posting...
    Cheers...

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear ML,

See ur initials are like the two initials of a mother in law, whom we say MIL. HAHA

You know i just loved this blog of yours, for the simple reason, that u let yr MIL feel that yr husband is still her son, and that ur son is her grandson, u let her pamper them, and she will pamper u too.

Many wives want to take over and shove off the MIL, not realizing that she was the first woman in his life, and now the wife wants to take over, the resentment starts.

And what is this about cholestrol. Do u know it is easy to knock it off even without medicines, ask me. Against 175 allowed , i had 500, within a month of diet control was down to 135.no medicine nothing.And remember eating sweet things dosnt cause diabeties, tension causes it, but once u have diabeties, sweets are poison, so as long as one can eat, dont stop, who knows when the doc tells u to stop.

A sweet blog a lovely one, beautiful is the word.Welcome for i have not seen u here around.

Regards

kamal

4 people like this.
  4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Megalife
    This is one post I fully agree too.:thumbsup
    I to do not like the profiling of all mothers-in-law as evil.

My mother-in-law and I were best friends till she passed away. Fortunately, before my marriage I asked my parents the reason for this constant battle universally. My father's anwer was one of the very many best lessons he taught me. He said possessivenes and the fear of the mother that she is losing her son is the root cause for this problem.

I remembered that all the time and whenever my mother-in-law came to our home, though I cooked the meal it would be her menu choice, i let her choose my clothes to go to work, and I let her cook her son's favourite meals. I simply stood away. Somewhat similar to what you did. I would sit and talk to her and slowly the friendship grew and her final words to me were, "I am very glad you married my son".

My eys are misty recalling those moments.

Sorry Megalife, for going into my memories, when I should be focusing on your post.
    But let me say that I am so happy finding another soulmate in you.

Loved this and am nominating it for best post.

13 people like this.
  5. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Kamalji
    I enjoyed writing it as much as you loved reading it!...it was a silent token of love to a non-interfering, well balanced women-my MIL and as u stated my DH's mom and my kids (i have 2) G.mom. She kept it simple, I mean our relation, so I kept it simple too! There's nothing extraordinary about our bond (not at all the way they depict in the movies, overly lovy-dovy and stuff) nor do we get along like a "house on fire". She has flaws, so do I (a lot many more) and so does my mother!!! But bottom line, shezzz never tried to interfere in our life, so this is the minimum I can give her back, to give her the freedom with her son whenever they can share each others company. I have a son too, and in a few yrs he will be a man...and I can't even think of somebody alienating him from me.I am yet to come across a mother who doesn't mean well for their children, only the way of expressing may be violent or silent.
    Your FB and good words do mean a lot, I too read several of ur posts...too too good. I will be around!!!Many thanks!

3 people like this.
  6. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi kkrish
    Loved ur story as well, though you said it in a fewer words, I guess I can feel the intensity! Many thanks for your appreciation and nomination, topping over the ice-cream.

7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    Wonderful way of viewing a MIL. if everyone were like you...accept as she is, most important of all....you gave her the feeling that you have not snatched her son. Wonderful relationship. I admire you dear.

1 person likes this.
  8. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

I am glad it made a good reading! thnxx.

9. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Cheers back...clouds pregnant, may be thtzz becoz I look at them from a womans point of view.

1 person likes this.
  10. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame