1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pearl in the Shell

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by vjbunny, Nov 4, 2011.

1. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

I had been to Orissa for Deepawali....On our tour we visited the famous Chilika Lake to see dolphins and it is the only lake where dolphins are seen...
    Enroute the boat stopped at small island where fisherman sell pearls, stones n corals...They claimed they were selling pearls very cheap than any jewelers and they said we will open the shells before you and if there is pearl we will give you...They began to crack open the shell n took out pearls there were cream pink n black.....yes a black one I dint knew there is black pearl...and he sold them...
    Later after we left the island..,one guy ,co-sailor said these people do gimmicks n they sell artificial ones and they put plastic pearls and glue empty shells...I didn’t feel the fisherman dishonest but I just nodded my head…

After seeing dolphins the boat stopped at yet another small island there too some fishermen were selling… The guy again said the same but something made my DH to buy some so we bought it and I had an idea I asked the fisherman I would like to have one closed shell as I want to keep it as memento of this place … He gave me without much ado when my DH wanted to pay for it the man said “no Sir there is no guarantee you may find a pearl in it so I wont take money”, but my DH wanted to pay, the man simply refused to take he gave it for free....
    Now today the shell opened on its own and it had a pearl.....:shock::-o ..I felt elated:banana but at the same time remembered the co-sailors words so I smelled it……. yuck it smells like fish.....It means my DHs instinct about authenticity was right ....:thumbsup
    I am moved by the honesty of that person ...At the same time I felt bad that we city dwellers have moved so far from honesty that we fail to recognize one when we come across one....
    There is no guarantee that the famed jewellers are honest yet we buy just seeing the brand...why cant we trust honest people have we reached such a stage to think all poor uneducated as theives n cheats?????

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
    26 people like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Very well said VJ. It is indeed sad that we have lost trust in people. But we are not always to blame for this. I firmly believe in trusting people, but have been cheated many times - why just two days ago. It is sad that a couple of such people make us lose our trust in everyone.

1 person likes this.
  3. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

vjbunny, Thanks for sharing your experience here...
    This is a lesson for many of us....
    And very glad you found your pearl :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

I believe, we are all vulnerable from being fooled/cheated and hence as a result become a defensive personality. This makes us not to trust a stranger immediately when we come across, either educated or not educated.

2 people like this.
  5. vidraghu

vidraghu Platinum IL'ite

Nice to know about your experience vjb, We at times believe strangers a lot rather than our own blood..

6. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

VJ dear , Good to know about ur experience :) Now a days being cautious with everybody is essential..so do not worry about that :).. You could have posted the pearl in the shell pic!!

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bunny,

Touchinng really. Yes u said it so well we trust the rich jewellers, but we dont trust poor people.
    i will agree with u here, ther e are honest poor people too, but we are so clouded by our own opinions we fail to recognize them.

Superb.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  8. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Thats a fantastic post from you VJ..Very true..
    Glad you found the pearl in it :)

1 person likes this.
  9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Good post VJ dear. Thanks for sharing your experience. Ya sometimes we do not know who is true. Good you found the pearl. It will be like a momento for you.

1 person likes this.
  10. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Hi VJ,
    That was a nice post.
    But it's really not we to blame always as Satchi said. We are forced to mistrust and suspect most of the times because of the incidents we face regularly in our so called modern world (cities).
    Anyway I am happy that you got the original pearls and the bonus gift also in final.

Regards,
    Latha.

1 person likes this.