1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

It is that time of the year -

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

[JUSTIFY]
    yes Halloween and how can I not write about it? I still am trying to understand the festival and the scary movies and some of the gross costumes do gross me out! But that does not mean that there is no story and history - there is and a good one too which is slowly undergoing modifications like any other tradition Halloween - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia And I go with the flow and take my kids around the neighborhood with a basket going trick or treat. It is fun in it's own way even though it gets to be biting cold during this time of the year - you want to dress kids up to keep warm but the costumes are more important to them. Many adults also get into the spirit of the festival and some houses do look haunted and scary and as an adult I refrain from going there. However, Halloween also gives us an opportunity to say hello to neighbours and catch up before we go into hibernation for winter and that aspect is what I just love the most!

Interestingly this time, a friend in Bangalore commented that she was mad that there were some kids knocking on her door in India for trick or treat - she certainly didnot expect this and ended up being the mean lady of the block. One, she was not prepared with candy and two she did not expect in India! Don't get her wrong, she has lived in the US for 20yrs, relocated to India and is enjoying the Indian festivals with her young children like never before and she is a friend who has hated Halloween even here! So it is natural for her to be peeved about this.

The world is getting smaller. More people are travelling and adopting various aspects of other cultures. It is a good thing. But what I wonder about is our own traditions - I am not being judgemental and I am just reflecting and trying to understand as an adult what I did not understand as a child. I should also not complain about us following other traditions when I just had a party for Deepavli which included almost all my American neighbours, some kids even choosing to wear Indian clothes.

Anyways coming back to the point, Halloween always almost reminds me of days when we were very young and my brother during shravana saturdays was made to go from house to house saying "om namoh venkateshaya" with a vessel for alms and collect some rice. I don't remember him complaining about it even though he did not like it and now as an adult I can say, for crying out loud we are Shaivites! But I am sure my mom had her reasons and now I can assure you that my brother does not remember unless reminded and no it has not scarred him in anyway! And, no I am that old to have seen this tradition and yes, probably if candy were given out, this tradition might have gained in popularity and continued!

The other two festivals I am reminded of are - Ganesha Chathruthi and Dusshera. During Ganesha, it was so much fun going from house to house knocking on the door, asking "aunty Ganesha koodsiddira" (have you kept Ganesha?) and if there is a yes, just go in do some 'baskis' and come out - like we had a right to see the God and seek the blessings. Infact who would do more baskis was always a game and a challenge and was much fun. And then, during Dusshera, we were sent to all the neighborhood houses to tell them that we have kept gombe (golu/dolls) and to please come for kumkuma whenever they can! We had no choice and we enjoyed. I do not know if these traditions are still followed in India. But these are the memories I have and I try to tell these stories to my kids and make it as festive as possible for them.

Coming back to Halloween, no I have no problem that it is gaining popuarity - could be more in B'lore with so many expats going back there and settling down and other cities might be untouched. But what grossed my friend was the fact that a 10yr old was dressed as Kareena Kapoor in Chammak Challo - I do not know how kareena looks like in that song, but we in the end agreed that she must have looked scary enough for a child to dress up like that or the adults were afraid that the child might do the number and might have parted with candies! Well it is only fair if my friend wonders if we will celebrate 'Turkey day' and 'Columbus day' as well!

Well, what I was and am reflecting on is the fact that there are so many similarities in all these customs/traditions. Think about our Golu, rangolis, diyas and compare them with all the pumpkin decorations and carvings, lights for christmas and people do get creative with things in other ways - the costumes, the decor, the Jack-o-lanterns, the candles etc. What these Indian festivals did to our scoiety is what Halloween does to this society - bringing all the neighbours together - involving families, helping them getto know one another, to mend fences if there were differences!

While my American neighbors will partcipate in our festivals, they will not give up on their holidays and their traditions. I am sure we will not too - our culture and traditions are the roots that give us the stability and what we learn from the other cultures are the wings we need. After all we need the roots to grow and the wings to fly. We just need to make sure that we have both and that the roots are deep enough to keep us stable and grounded.

Happy festival season and Happy Halloween!

PS: As I said, this is just a reflection. I know the western traditions have/are undergone/ing a lot of changes and so are ours....but still could not refrain from pitching in my two cents.
    [/JUSTIFY]

20 people like this.
  2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Sabita dear good post to read early in the morning,will come back later with my comments. As always want to nominate this thread

Every festival has its own value. From childhood I enjoy all festivals, especially Navratri because we are able to meet so many people at our home and also go to everyone's house. After coming to Mumbai I enjoy Ganpati festival , we get to see so many Ganpatis. During childhood we used to happy to celebrate the festivals as we can wear new dresses that day. Earlier we used to wait for Diwali because it was that time we used to get a new dress those days. Now everyday is Diwali because we get dresses anytime of the year. Of late I enjoy both Ganpati and Navratri as in the colony where we are staying they celebrate Ganpati and Navratri in a grand way. Enjoy taking part in aarti during Ganpati and Navratri and also from last year I have learnt to play dandiya and garba through a friend in the colony. Feel so nice when they give me so much importance and tell me to sing during Ganpati and Navratri. I enjoy Christmas also and have gone to so many Christian friends during Christmas.

1 person likes this.
  3. mikku

mikku Gold IL'ite

Dear Srama,

Very thoughtful post...I can relate to the thoughts to a great extent...I cannot understand the significance of celebrating Halloween and never cared to know about it. On my first Halloween, I was invited to one of my prof's place, my outfit for the occasion was a traditional Indian wear…On arriving at the place I felt like a ‘kid lost in a fair’:hide:…two men dressed like magicians were the least scary of all.
    When my infant would grow up, guess I wouldn't be left with a choice but to accompany him for trick or treating. I still have some time to equip myself with whys and whens of Halloween:).
    I can empathize with your friend, and a 10 yr old dressed as Kareena kapoor’s chammak chello is disgraceful, on part of the parents. What aches me more is aping by us of whatever the Amrikis celebrate (or do), though the topic has been discussed often, the fact doesn’t seize to irk me.
    On a positive note, like you said, all the festivities do help to break the barriers, Indian or western:).

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sabitha,

I enjoyed your thread. :) It is just about getting into the spirit of the thing. And ,Why not? Why should one sit inside closed doors when everyone is dressing up in weird costumes and knocking on doors and having so much fun?

Agreed it may not be everyone’s idea of fun..like I have this thing about holi.. Come Holi and I turn into this real spoilsport while usually I am always ready for fun. I just don’t like to be messy maybe.:hide:.Not analysed that enough. But my family is game for everything.

In fact I just read a mail from my mom in which she says she bought chocolates( on her way back from the physiotherapist) as kids would be visiting her for Halloween. I admit that my first thought was why is she taking all that trouble? Isn’t it enough if she just looks after herself? But your post made me think otherwise. Why not indeed, if she is enjoying herself.

I believe that every festival should be celebrated in a way that brings all the members of the society that we live in, together. it is so much fun then.We have the chinese and malay borrowing our sarees to dress up for the Diwali dinner that we arrange for them. :)))

I also admire the fact that you go around with your kids. These are precious moments that they will always treasure.:thumbsup

On a lighter note I am not surprised at your friends dislike of the kid dressing up as kareena.yess i would have given the kid all the candies... my only condition being she does NOT do a chamak challo. LOL.
    Though I thought kareena looked absolutely ravishing in that song my friend had a completely different opinion.. that she looked awful , unreal and like a computer graphic...... so u see life is ALL about different perceptions. :)

4 people like this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabitha,

Very nice reflection on cultural variations and similarities and memories of our festivals. Your kids are really lucky to get a balanced view of the culture of their roots as well as of the society they are growing up in and that they are learning to see the similarities.

Well, just watched "Chammak Challo" to check out what Kareena looked like in that song and can't blame your friend for having been grossed out at the sight of a 10 year old dressed like that (or anyone dressed like that).

I guess one of the positive changes that has come about in western society is their increasing openness to our culture as well as their willingness to participate in our various festivals as opposed to older times where we were at best items of curiosity. And hats off to various festivals for having accomplished that.

1 person likes this.
  6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dea rRama,

this is not two cents but a full dollor. All festivals aer good, and enjoyable, to some they may be a nuisance those that do not understand it. For Ganesha for teh maharastrains is enjoyable , for outsiders it may be a nuisance for the traffic choas etc, But sensible people aer prepared for it, they wont travel on that day, unless they have to.

Enjoyable post, loved it.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  7. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

Actually a really good post.. It really made me think that yes, what Golu does for us, Halloween does for them! And yes like we expect tolerance for our culture, we should be tolerant to theirs AND everything should be in the right limits!
    Wow all these in a single post and also making such an interesting read! Only you can do it Sabitha!!
    Hats off!

1 person likes this.
  8. Subhaganesh

Subhaganesh Gold IL'ite

good post.... we can adopt their culture but the same time we should not cross our own wonderful tradition and culture... all are festivals there is a valuable story behind it..many of us don't what is for the particular festival and they try to adopt the other festivals...

1 person likes this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you Viji aunty for that feedback and more so for that nomination - you did make my morning :) this month was, I mean October was crazy with so many Indian festivals and the festivals and holidays that they celebrate here! You are right, it is all the spirit of the festival and the joy and goodness they bring! How can we not enjoy that?

10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Get on with than information gatehring about halloween mikku. I am sure it is just not your kid but the others who you come in contact with that will appreciate it! It was very interseting for me to note that a couple of friends who could not make it had taken pains to read up about Deepavali and write back to me with apologies for not ebing able to be a part of such an important festival and all that it signifies! Can you believe it? Aping is ok but it is important to know the story behind the festivals so that there is meaning/understanding. I wonder if dressing up like Kareena shows the spirit of the festival more or the parents view of what a child should be like more - these things are what we should look out for and do things appropriately.

I very well could imagine how you felt in that Halloween party - I still go through so many emotions as I walk around the neighborhood looking at all the costumes and the decorations! Thank you for your views and the feedback!