1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

It Took Ten Years

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

It Took Ten Years​

Yesterday a few things happened, very ordinary in fact, but I found them significant to pen down my thoughts here.

This is a story of ordinary people and their struggles, firsthand as I heard and saw myself.

The Rickshawpuller ​

I had gone to a tailoring contractor, and he was not around, said he will take half an hour to come , so I went outside to the roadside, to hve a cup of tea. As I sat there, on the roadside stool, having my tea, I see a rickshawpuller sitting in his rickshaw, smoking his beedi, and in his own world.

Written on the rickshaw was in hindi “ Donated by Jai Singh Sethia “

I asked him about the donor and this is what he had to say, I quote in his own words

“ JSS has donated some 20,000 rickshaws all over Rajasthan. You have to fill in a form, giving yr details, and prove that u are poor, give proof of address, and one persons reference, and there is a lottery system, ur number can come in a month or in a years time.

The cost of the cycle rickshaw is 10,000 he said, and as I calculated there , it comes to some 2 crores, wow. Mindboggling.

And he has donated 8 crores to the neurology department of the SMS govt hospital, to make a new wing to expand, for the free patients.

I know Sethia, not personally though, I have met him in seminars, he is a garment exporter, who from humble beginnings, today owns hundreds of properties from what io hear, and now is in all these things.

I admire him , for many make money, many give money, but to their own near and dear ones, but give such amounts to people whom u don’t know, to those who are poor, and who are not connected to u, u dontknow them from Adams, and there is no publicity too for this, at least I have not seen it, speaks volumes of this man.

And lastly the rick guy said, there are some guys who have sold the rick, and run away.
    Well well, u will always find some rotten apples everywhere.

The Painter​

Sitting on the side of my stool, under the tree , on the pavement was an 80 year old guy, who said he is an artist, who makes yr portrait, in half an hour, with colour everything, charges 500 bucks.

He has studied in JJ School of Arts, Mumbai, worked for painting movie posters in the sixties and the seventies, now has no one in this world, stays on the road, his only son died of drinking two years back, and now lost interest in life.

Will be calling him in a few days to make my portrait, at my home, and tell u about that later next week.

I offered them tea and ciggies, and set thinking what life eh !

The 10 year Journey​

In the evening, I was sitting on my computer, when my daughter called me from downstairs that a lady has come to see me, that she worked for me long back, and wants to meet me. Well I told her to send the lady up.

Mom was down, and brought her up. I could see tears in moms eyes, but I did not know the reason. This lady used towork for me in my office some 30 years back as a thread cutter, one of the half dozen ladies that worked. Her elder sister too worked.

Some 10 years back she had come to me, pregnant with her 3 rd son, along with her husband, sob stories, and asked for a 4000 ruppee loan, so her husband could start something on the roads.

Well I gave her, and told her, pay me in 10 monthly installments of 400 each, but secretly washed off my hand sof that money. For my elder daughter, she was the one who would hold the crying baby while harsha would make the food or go for bath, we worked from a rented bunglow then, two rooms for work and two for home,so I was very grateful to her, then we did not have a maid, we were new here.

And there was the crib of my daughter lying in the garage which we gave her for her coming baby, and had to give her 50 bucks for the cartage too.

As she sat down she started to cry, mom was quietly watching, and she put 4000 rupees on the table, and said I was to pay u 400 a month, and here I am paying u 400 a year, I could not sleep all these years, for I had to pay u back this money.

My two elder sons, work at a tea stall, one makes 150 a day, another 100 a day, and our house runs on that, husband does nothing, staying in a rented house for 2000 a month.

I was touched, I did not know what to say, mom said, don’t take the money, return it, the lady insisted, well I took a 1000 from it, and returned the rest. She fell down on my feet, I said u are my sister, please don’t embarrass me, and I could not hold back a tear falling.

When my brother heard this, he had gone out that time, he gave me 5000 to give her, he said this year I did not buy the crackers, the firs time in his life, he said this craker money to give her.Which I will do so later this week.

She has multiple health problems, some say it is TB, I took her in my car to my doctor close by, he gave her medicines , and said see me after 5 days, and if there is no improvement then some X rays and other tests will be done, I will foot all the bill for her medical expenses.

Mom and me sat talking, of those days when she used to work with us, and mom said I will give her also something, I said mom, I am here, don’t u worry, I will do all that I can for her.

I have called her sons, and I spoke to my friend who has a saree shop, he said send them over, he keeps absorbing all the boys that I keep sending, he wil pay them starting like 4000 a month, which is better than now, and a decent job at that, lets see.

When I look at people, I see that we crib and cry over small things, and when u look at these people, u wonder how fortunate u are, that ur miseries are nothing compared to theirs, who don’t know where their next meal is coming from.

And where do find such honest people who remember after years, to return your money , who could not sleep for they had the debt on their mind.

Friends, looking at all this, all that happened yesterday, very small incidents, but they had a great effect on me, let uslearn to be thankful to the lord, and stop cribbing for what we don’t have, to thinking him for what we have.

As my granny used to tell us when we were kids, don’t look up, u will be unhappy, look downwards, and u will know there are people who are worse off than u.

So I offer my thanks to the lord upstairs, and I promise not to ask anything anymore, he has been kind to me, and I think to all of u over here.

Thanks for reading this long , boring, dry blog, I wont crib if there are no comments, but I could not hold myself from posting this long blog.

KAMAL MAHTANI

21 people like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

What a blog Kamalji. It is indeed very interesting to hear the stories of the lives of people around us - ordinary people.

It is indeed touching to hear of a person who gives back to society what he got in ample measure. Such people are extremely rare. And that without announcing their good deeds to the world.

And to think that one of the unfortunate people who need help is a person who has had a decent education in a good college. Is it not a sad comment on the state of affairs of our country that a person who is an artist is homeless and languishing on the streets? Is it any surprise that there is so much brain drain?

I am really touched to think that honesty is still alive in people who are indeed poor and miserable and could have been forgiven if they cheated - contrast this to the richie riches of the country who keep exploiting the poor and making a lot of money through devious means only to satisfy their greed.

So you have had a really enlightening day Kamalji. Thanks for sharing these stories here.

1 person likes this.
  3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Very very touching...both are great...you and that woman. You are magnanimous enough to help her when she needed without any expectations..and that lady who was sincere and honest to give back your money.I think world is surviving because such people are still there...not due to Ambanis or Birlas or Tataa..but simple, honest people. I admire all of you.I admire who share with others not for fame or name or glory. May God bless all of you. Thank you.

1 person likes this.
  4. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

kamalji,
    a very very touching post indeed..the lady who came to give the money back to you may have had this thing in her mind since so long..the feeling of being indebted to someone..
    thanks for sharing the incidents..
    where are your signature jokes? i was scrolling further down..

5. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

It is very heartening to learn that there are genuinely good and honest people such as yourself and the lady.... It is so true what you said about looking down instead of upwards.... reminds of the quote "I was complaining of having no shoes until i saw a man with no feet"

6. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji...,
    One of the most beautiful blog....How dare you call this bore?
    TRhe gesture you showed n the humanity in it do have something of a lesson for me...n I thank you for writing this snippet...

7. Vijaya@17

Vijaya@17 Silver IL'ite

Hello Kamalji

I love your posts. They are interesting and so transparent. Thank you for bringing out the lives of common men and opening our minds.

8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Kamal
    You are indeed a sensible chap! You have shared with us three beautiful stories of 'ordinary people' that you encountered in your life. I am so happy that the effect of this post was not marred by the usual jokes that you append to your blogs! My estimation of you has gone up by several notches now!

We do meet the likes of Sethia Saab quite often. These people feel compelled to give back to the society a portion of their earnings as some kind of an expression of gratitude. There are some communities in which such gestures are followed with a religious fervour.

Coming to the wall post painter, this is the fate that has befallen most of them after the digital printing has replaced manual painting. Technological advancement is bound to affect the native artisans and besides feeling sorry for them, we can only help them with a few personal orders as you have done.

The story of the indebted lady is truly touching. I have always believed that the poor people display a greater degree of honesty than the affluent. How often we see an auto driver returning jewels and cash left behind in their vehicles by the passengers? You have done the right thing by rewarding such honesty.
    Sri

2 people like this.
  9. Subhaganesh

Subhaganesh Gold IL'ite

kamalji... very nice post..thanks for ur kind heart.... u can't say its a boring blog..its a quite interesting and heart touching too...:cheers:cheers

10. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Touching post, Kamalji. Missed your jokes, though.