1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ghost Story...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by navs23, Oct 18, 2011.

1. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

I was all dressed up in Red to visit the temple, when I came to the living room and saw the scene that was played in the television. A young girl's red dupatta goes flying into a grave yard and a ghost fondly holds on to it. The girl tries to reclaim her dupatta only to he tortured by the ghost to return it. With sudden realization I looked at the mirror and to my horror I was wearing a red dupatta :eek:mg: Not a big deal, it was still day light and I was visiting a temple(and the dupatta would be cleansed by the good Gods). It did not stay that way when dusk fell and it got dark around. The red dupatta kept catching my eye and I worried what would happen if the ghost tried to claim it :boo:. 'Hide it', my inner mind kept saying and I hid it in suitcase, all locked up. If I cannot access it myself, it would be inaccessible to the ghost too(what an idea sirji), I slept peacefully.

After few days, another scene played in the television. A ghost(victim) exacts revenge on people who killed it and communicates via mediums, like cell phones, televisions etc. It took several days for me to stop casting suspicious looks at the cell phones and televisions around us, waiting for some thing to jump out of it and take me by shock :shaking: These devices were also strictly off the limits of the bed room for several days.

Unfortunately, as much as I am timid and paranoid when it comes to such things, the men in my family are big fans of horror, horror movies, horror books, anything and everything to do with super natural stuff :rant. So, every time DH brings a supernatural book home to read, I would be the first to read the paraphrase at the end of the book(I have to know how scary it is decide how to react to it, dont I) and then starts all the drama Witsend. I would have just read a one line story of a ghost haunting a deserted mansion and killing people who walked into the mansion and my imagination will take off in lightening speed. My mind would build scary, freaky scenes. I would ponder endlessly about what the ghost would have looked like, how it would have attacked poor victims and so on. By the end of the day I would be all worked up, as if I had been to the mansion myself and have a scary sleepless night. The book will be duly placed in the God's altar the next night(off the boundaries of the bedroom) and in the living room, until it is due back and returned to the library :thankyou2:

This happened when we visited our best friend in Hyderabad and she had a good collection of horror stories(another fan of horror). Against strong advise from my husband(after all, he gets to suffer the after affects of my horror curiosities, when I wake up in the middle of the night and look around the house with all the lights on) and the friend herself(an iron/steel maiden when it comes to horror) :notthatway:, I read the stories, true sightings of ghosts all around the world. It was all fun and unreasonable/unscientific too until it was time to go to the bed. We were given a room in the first floor. To one side of the bed was the door and to the other side was the window. I kept tossing and turning for the fear of a ghost appearing through the window(my side). If it comes through the door, my husband was there to protect me. Those stories that I had read had all happened some where in the world, far away. But, how do ghosts travel? Is it possible for an American ghost to travel all the way to this house? Oh God, what is that sound, long hard breathing, has it arrived already :spin. I panicked and looked around to see my husband happily snoring, oblivious to everything happening around him. Oh no, what if the ghost comes through the door, it would definitely come to my side of the bed, and he wouldn't even know. The fact that the book stayed in the book shelf right next to our bed and the puja room was in the ground floor did not make things any better other than making me stay awake the whole night with my head turning around, looking at the door and the window, like a tennis game :bang. I never told my husband or the friend about my sleepless night, but strongly refused when she offered to bring more books on horror.

Will I stop reading such books(the summary atleast) or stop watching such movies(or the wikipedia plot/story) after such sleepless nights? No, curiosity might kill a cat, but, it hasn't made me go crazy yet, so until I go bonkers, I will continue to enjoy the pleasure of fear and the after effects that it has on me and all those around me :bonk

Note: A big thanks to MansiMahi, for it was her post on Paranormal activity, that impressed me to write this.

15 people like this.

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Oh, Poor you navs!
    I too recall that episode you mentioned about the dupatta falling on the neighbor's ground. i switched off the tv immediately and moved away!
    I too do not like ghost stories.
    When I was new to the US, the month of October was one I dreaded because due to Halloween there were so many ghost and horror movies!
    Now I don't watch them at all, so October is bearable:)!

When i happen to accidentally watch a horror movie you know what I do? Promise me you wont laugh...I read a "malory towers" book by Enid Blyton! That makes my day (or night) scare-free! Try it! :)

2 people like this.
  3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Navs

Even though these ghost incidents scare you, you still read them and ask your imagination act according to it ehh!!.....haha
    I love to see horror movies or read those books, I am not different then you[​IMG] I just imagine but let it go, as I know that there are no ghosts around. It is human imagination, that makes us scary.

2 people like this.
  4. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Hi Navs...

Same here...though I get scared often remembering the scenes in the horror movies...I do not stop watching it...I watch...and then scare!!!

It happens ya....i was literally laughing while reading this....same pinch!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Oh navs.. superb hilarious one!

I am scared of ghosts too... I dont believe in ghosts but they still manage to scare me... I have stopped watching horror movies of late.. I had to stay all alone in the house couple of nights which made me take this decision :)

Like how you feel that ghosts come from window or door... I used to feel that ghosts lie under the cot or in the almirahs.. Then I watched a movie Vaastu Shastra.. in this movie ghosts roamed around inside the house in broad day light... (which proved I was wrong) I was scared to hell after watching this..

1 person likes this.
  6. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Ha Ha..nice story, an expression of your true 'spirit'

1 person likes this.
  7. vidraghu

vidraghu Platinum IL'ite

Navs... Lovely post on horror stories!! Felt the effect too... Have selected apt smilies... especially the tooth grinning one!! Even though ghosts fear me... have not stopped from watching them...... Continues.......

1 person likes this.
  8. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

Hi Navs,

Had a good laugh after reading your post. We are all big time horror movie fans in my house. We switch off all lights and ensure that the place is so dark and silent before we sit eagerly for a late-night horror movie, just to get that effect. I used to be scared when I was a child, but my sister cured me of it. I must have been 12 or 13 then, and she, 15/16. What she said was so simple - 'why get scared, after all, it can only kill you, max to max.:rotflAnd more than all these bad things, there is God, the Supreme power. None of these can stand up to God, so why fear those pathetic things?'. I never got scared after that and ended up doing a lot of exorcisms in my dreams. :)

On the other side, sometimes I do get disturned seeing movies like The Ring or The Grudge, and then, I forcefully drive out the disturbance by doing/thinking something really stupid and wacky. (Say, for example, imagine the Ghost suddenly getting an itch or coughing like in cartoons... )

1 person likes this.
  9. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamala ma'am,

Thank you so much for the first feed back :)

I should have switched off the tv when such scenes play, but unfortunately my curiosity takes over :-(

I hate Halloween time too and used to dread the horror movie commercials that play in between.

Reading Malory Towers is a great idea, will try it :)

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Navs,

Have you thought of ghosts being friendly (like Wendy) and helping out or that they might just be feeling very lonely wherever it is that they are? They might be just paying a social visit. Or that the things they have learnt during their life time has made them fearful of ghosts - and they are petrified of all the other ghosts around them. It must be cold comfort knowing they are one of them.

I am still waiting to make acquaintance with one of them. Would certainly like to know about distant lands which are as of now beyond my reach. :-D

1 person likes this.