1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dhilli... Dhilli... My Tamil Speaking Dhosthsss

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Riyakathir, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Riyakathir

Riyakathir Platinum IL'ite

You all know i am very new to Delhi and being here for around 5 months as a newly married Girl... :)

I joined in office where all speaks Hindi (yes.. of course they speak Hindi only.. a office in Delhi.... ok dearies.. don't take Riya a nut... :hiya)... and i really speaking.. there was no discrimination or any teasing upon south Indians here....

I should really say... My experiences... here... where.. my office mates and client are trying to impress me be-friendly to be by speaking Tamil...

Ans.. Yes... They are helping me a lot to learn Hindi also...

In my office... a very most senior person.. who is doing all clerical works... about more elder than my dad... he always gets excited when he see me

he first asks..... as soon as he see me...

saapidiyaaaa?? (did you had food)
    its not the correct Tamil word... but.. i really like the way he says
    and... i know.... Tamil food....
    idli
    dosa
    sambar

he says alll these

if i continue to reply him in Tamil..

he gets confuse and say "tamil..... konjam konjam.......... tamil illlayyy... tamil konjam konjam" (tamil....... little.. little......... tamil.. no..... tamil... konjam konjam)

its been 2 months now ... and he speaks still the same....

same... saaapadiyaaa......

same idli, dosa, sambar....

same konjam konjam.....

but i am really happy and will always talks with him in smile..... that he is trying to make me ease that he knows Tamil... and i will end up in laughing.... :rotfl

And.... as i have Tamil speaking friend... I have my Hindi Teaching Friend also...

I dont know to talk in Hindi... I am learning my level best to talk in that...

As my office is a consulting office... very few will be in office and others will be onsite...

We have a system supporting person..... name.. Rakesh..

He is really very friendly and speaks to everyone..
    he was always avoiding me.. and much not talking to me...

then i found.. its coz of my English... as he is not much fluent.... he was avoiding me..... then... you know

i made him to talk to me..... Me in English... and he answers me in half Hindi and half english....

And... Oh friends... i didnt say about my hindi teaching friend... Its none other then... my office helper Mr. Manvir..

He always speaks to me in Hindi.... as how i am talking to Rakesh... the same
    and he always encourages me to talk in Hindi....

If i speak.... "madam.... aap Hindi achi samajgaya" i don't know whether i am telling this right... but this is the meaning... " you are understanding hindi very well"

If i do mistake... He always corrects me....

Who said.. all northies willl tease southies... i am seeing them sweet here in Delhi...

And... I didnt say about My client...

He is Dr. Rawat... A big shot and Director for all ONGC hospitals..

He was very friendly... After my first visit.. and knowing me i am a south Indian.. In next day lunch.. he arranged for the south Indian food..

and He always says "vanakkam" to me.... Me for sure.... wipes out the thought in my face that i am in strange land and unknown faces... a smile automatically sticks on my face....

He discussed with me a lot about our south Indian foods.. and told... "Once we finish the project.. Riya will take us to Chennai... Our project success party will be in Chennai and Riya will cook Dosa for us"

Yes... I said.. You are more welcome sir.. Not only Dosa.. We have soo many dishes which will never leave you to go out of Tamil Nadu or Any south cities....

And there.... In My client place... the hotel where i was staying.... though the idli was like little soft stone :bonk they really... took care of me with south Indian foods and.. daily ask me what to make.... though the south dishes are not in menu (its client guest house)

and.. many many more friends.. who teaches me Hindi and says.... interesting...

Ahhh!!! I remember... when i was talking... about some office matters... some where and some how "kutti" word.. came... (kutti- small or tiny)

From there onwards. Dr. Rahul, My colleague.. always says this kutti... and when i asked him.. you trying tamil or wat...

He says... it is really interesting.. yes i liked the word Kutti.. he he he he

And.. he is another pandit of me... who is teaching Hindi...

hmmmm ok ok...

all are asking about the student status...

Student status in spoken Hindi is raised..

From (-) level to 0

Thats really a good improvement.. and positive improvement... as 0 is a positive number....

So soon Riya will speak Hindi Buddies...

A small.... Dedication to all my friends.. who is making me happy and friendly by trying Tamil... :)

Though INDIA Has different many people, who are very different...

These friendliness makes.. the India Strong..

Like Us buddies....

"INDUS LADIES" itself a India na

19 people like this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Riya
    You must be an adorably affectionate girl to get this kind of attention from your colleagues. Prim and proper girls do not get such attention ever. It was quite a nice write up about your experience in a linguistically alien place. To the Delhi people, anyone coming from anywhere south of the Vindhyas is a ‘Madrasi’ who eats idly, vada and sambar three times a day all his life! They are endlessly tickled by the way a Madrasi speaks Hindi. The famous comedian of yester years, Mehmood’ used it with great effect in all his movies. I cannot forget his role as a Madrasi music teacher in Padosan teaching music to Saira Banu.

I spent a few years in North India in the 70’s and picked up a bit of Hindi. Before I started on my journey, I was warned that the north Indians always looked down upon the Madrasis but within a few days of my reaching there, I could realise how wrong and needless this warning was. They took such good care of me that I never felt that I was away from home. They made sure that I got South Indian food till I told them one day that I had come there to enjoy and relish the north Indian ambience. I was taken to the best dhabhas in town and I developed a great taste for their food.

How a Delhite behaves towards a Madrasi and vice versa depends on how we conduct ourselves. If we are friendly, they do not treat us as an alien but if we try to show off as an intellectually superior class, then we are put in our place. The same thing will happen to a North Indian in South. Your thread proves this point to a nicety. Nice people will always be received with a red carpet wherever they go. Language will never be a barrier!
    Sri

10 people like this.
  3. vidraghu

vidraghu Platinum IL'ite

Very nice post.... shows that "MERA BARATH MAHAN"... also, i think u seem to have a great time with them! Wishes to have a great time ahead!

2 people like this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Riya,

That is one very positive post I have read in some time. Am really glad that you are seeing the positive side of the North Indians and wish more North Indians see the positive side of those in this part of the world too. To tell the truth, finally it will be really good the day the qualifiers North and South, East and West are dropped from the word Indians and all of us see ourselves as just that - Indians.

The North Indians are known to be fun-loving, hearty people. Of course cultural differences will be there, but then that is the joy of visiting other places isn't it - to share your culture with them and to learn theirs?

Great going Riya. You will soon pick up Hindi very well with this positive attitude of yours. :thumbsup

5 people like this.
  5. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Nice post Riya...
    Nice to know that you have such helpful people at work...
    Have a nice time...
    BTW.. I can also be your hindi tutor ;-)

2 people like this.
  6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

There is nothing a new employee looks forward to other than some friendly smiles and an understanding nature from the employer. Good to know you found a good place.

2 people like this.
  7. marulamuniya

marulamuniya Gold IL'ite

Nice to hear about such a cooperative work place and the way you are looking at it. Looking forward to see hindi speaking Riya soon !! and hope the stony idly will soften too... ha ha

1 person likes this.
  8. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

As many have said, it is a positive post and you are a sweet girl to get so much so much attention.

Happy working Riya...

1 person likes this.
  9. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nice post Riyaji!!!

Your post brought back a lot of memories yaar.......

My happy days in hostel.....

Me teaching a Delhi friend to sing " En vaanile" .....She rocked !!!....

Acchhaa, Aap se aur ek baat poochna hai....Prakji vapas aagiya hai kya?.....

1 person likes this.
  10. Riyakathir

Riyakathir Platinum IL'ite

uncle... i must be soo lucky to get such kinda feedback from a soft and great person like you... i am really happy about that.

I didnt add up another one of my experience... i forgot actually... A bengali madam is the director for the Delhi branch of my office.. and she likes Idli and dosa a lot. but these people dont know to make batter and buying in shops these days.. when i said it is very easy to make and ratio.... (my boss age is above 60) she made it.. and said thanks to me.. that she got it well... :) actually they like our idli and vada a lot...

Exactly uncle.. I was also the same treated.. even prak has also told me some couple of times.. that he is facing that.. but.. now either he or nor me... facing this...

Thats great... that you too gt such great people surrounded by you... so you are also a person who is very affectionate Guy (handsome also.. late 70's means.. should be... ) to get this kind of attention from your friends... Sooo Same pinch uncle...

Thanks uncle... its very true... as Einstein says "where there is an action there will be equal and apposite reaction" soooo you expect what you give.. :)) let us spread this and make those sayings and rumors untrue..

Like Vasulraja MBBS (munna bai MBBS) says.... vambu sonna ketkaathu... anbu sonna ketkkum..

Let us spread love.. :)

and. last but not the least... Please do visit my posts.. and please do comment me uncle... Ungal Sevai... Enakku Thevai... :)