1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Virtual Reality

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Sep 26, 2011.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]Last evening my internet connection went on the blink. My chat sessions with various friends stopped responding. I was desperately trying to connect, but all in vain. I was getting more irritated by the second and did not know what to do. There is hardly anything to interest me on television on weekends.

That is when I realized how irrevocably dependent I have grown on technology (no matter how much we i.e. technology and I - love each other :spin). I mean what do I do with her, what do I do without "her"? The net has almost taken the place of surrogate companion/friend/philosopher/guide in my life. Why am I so emotionally addicted to the net?

All this while the bh and mil were in the other room video conferencing with bil. (Now I knew why my gchat was not connecting). I don't blame them. It is not seldom that I video chat with friends when they are at home.

It is not as if I am the only one in this situation. This phenomenon has taken over the lives of people the world over. How many times does it happen that someone wants to get your attention or vice versa and the person has no time to even look away from the computer/TV for a second? The persons asking for attention (frequently the closest of our family members) have become intrusions into our lives. It's as simple as that. We have no time for others.

But just think of the irony of life. On one hand we crave company, but have no time to chat with our own family members. We, the same people who do not have time for others around us have plenty of time to chat with others on line, enjoy our interactions with strangers whom we have not once set eyes on. We have time to play games with people whom we do not know from Adam, whom we will never see after one game. What is it with us? Why are we getting alienated from our own near and dear ones?

One question here would be "what came first - the chicken or the egg"? Did were we alienated first or did we alienate them first? How do we break this cycle? Certainly the most obvious answers would be "Take time off for the people in your life. Talk to them. Do this consciously". All very fine, but it takes two to tango.

A psychological explanation here would be that we tend to feel comfortable with strangers for the simple reason that they don't know us, and we don't know them. It is most unlikely that our paths would ever cross. This complete anonymity helps us overcome any element of hesitation, embarassment, guilt or shame of sharing our lives and problems with them. Besides, one might meet others in the same straits as oneself, thereby creating a support system and a bond which one might not have amongst one's near and dear ones.

Statistically speaking too, the chances of meeting people with similar perspectives on life are greater on the net, than when we look for them within our own limited social circles. There may be a 100 people out there who are willing to chat or play an online game when you want to, while it might take months or years to get someone in one's own "social" circle to make time to do so.

Where are we headed then? With each individual becoming an island in oneself, it is not impossible to imagine a situation when there are no human bonds left as we know them now. Sounds like sci-fi? Think again.

[/JUSTIFY]

17 people like this.

2. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

dear satchi,
    indeed a very thoughtful one..some times my friends on net know what i am doing and my parents get to know it the last!! sometimes i wonder what will happen to our kids.

1 person likes this.
  3. satchitananda

Scary isn't it, Sushma? And sadly enough, very often, we are dragged willy nilly into the stream only because others we want to interact are all just too busy in their own worlds.

4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Sats
    A very nice reflection on our behaviour.
    As I read it I realized how true it is.

I think of the two reasons on why that you mentioned I would lean towards this one more:
    Statistically speaking too, the chances of meeting people with similar perspectives on life are greater on the net, than when we look for them within our own limited social circles. There may be a 100 people out there who are willing to chat or play an online game when you want to, while it might take months or years to get someone in one's own "social" circle to make time to do so.

My experience: I found myself contantly on the internet trying to figure out the person with the same perspective as mine. Once I had identified the folks with similar perspectives I am able to control my time better in the virtual world. The knowledge that my friends will be there when I need them has given me the cushion to relax and focus on my family now.

Yes I am tempted to stay at my virtual world for a long time but I have been combating this (must admit it is very difficult) saying this mantra, " a time for everything... now go put those clothes in the laundry and get that sambar going, KAMALA!"

got to leave now Sats!...Bye

5 people like this.
  5. vidraghu

vidraghu Platinum IL'ite

Ya...a thought provoking one! I have felt at times the same too... Not having the net connected, not able to speak with family members, but happily chatting online with unknown ppl...Feel attimes, very bad too for growing this kind of technology addicted! Nice write-up!

1 person likes this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

definetely (something - I donot want to use because in my world, these electronics are not something!)to think about Satchi. I like what you have said here Kamala
    I certainly need that mantra. Satchi for me certainly what is more explorable is the need for human beings to bond and bond with some one similar even if it is just virutual! As you know, I am in the business of pursuing solitaryness :) All I want to do is to be able to sit quiet for a few moments and it is a challenge - i am so used to entertaining my mind...oooph....it is hard to quieten it. many of my friends very proudly share a photograph of every one with their own laptops or iphones infront of the TV. My house has a constant threat of "i will cut the cable off or change the passwords on the computers" constantly. All it needs is a reminder once a day! But I can see 'the situation' creeping in pretty soon........

Nice write up Sacthi!

1 person likes this.
  7. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

Hmm Satchi ....very interesting topic .....

Now with so many social networking sites pouring in to the internet world, we are getting attached to Virtual world more than the real world. Internet is so addictive!

But everything will have a saturation point. Beyond that one cannot get addicted to it. At first it will be addictive but later on we will know the limits and stop by yourself and start interacting with the people around us. As far as we are concerned we still long for the human relationship not the machine. Its just part of our life.

2 people like this.
  8. marulamuniya

marulamuniya Gold IL'ite

A very nice writeup Satchit.... Though we are aware of the consequences... we don't want to be left behind :) Your statistics proves correct.. it's indeed hard to find many people with same frequency in our real circle.. and we end up finding them in our virtual circles..
    I think the frequency with which we were in touch with our relatives and friends in real life hasn't changed much over time..We used to write to them once in two months with post-card, in-land letters :) It's just that the virtual world has moved faster to overtake that.. I don't think it's making us forget the value of relationships... I think, We still value the 'school-friends', 'college-friends', 'cousins' meet-ups and enjoy them more than the virtual ones.. what say?

1 person likes this.
  9. satchitananda

Hahahahahahaha Kamala. I loved that. Hope the sambar is done. :) Send it over - would love to have a taste of it. So what if it is virtual sambar???!!! Have a nice day.

10. satchitananda

Thanks Vidya. :)