1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The gift of good food

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by raji2678, Sep 23, 2011.

1. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

God has blessed most of us with a mouth, teeth to chew the food, a nose to savour the various smells and a tongue to relish various tastes. HE has created various tastes like sweet, sour, pungent, bitter and salty. Truly, the pleasures of relishing a well-cooked meal, however simple, are nothing short of heaven.

God has created various foods in abundance. To name a few...

Food grains like rice, wheat, oats, lentils, mower, bare, ragi, chickpeas, gram, maize, barley.

Vegetables like leafy vegetables, root vegetables, cabbage, cauliflower, gourds, squashes, peas, tomatoes and brinjal

Fruits like citrus fruits, apple, mangoes, strawberries, cherries, melons and berries

At least a thousand spices like cumin, curry leaves, coriander, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, asafoetida, chilies and pepper, sugar and salt

Various seeds yielding a variety of oils like sesame, groundnut, sunflower, olive, rice bran, and so on.

Milk, and its by-products like cream, paneer, cheese, butter, curd and ghee given by animals like cow, buffalo, goat and camel.

By HIS grace, man (or woman?? :)) has perfected various cooking techniques like baking, boiling, broiling, grilling, steaming, frying, sautéing, stir-frying, roasting.

While we are reading this and relishing our cuppa aromatic coffee / chai / health drink, let us take a simple example of the humble wheat. It can be consumed in so many ways...
    Cooking it in water
    Ground into coarse powder and used as lapsi for upma, sheera, etc.
    Milling into fine powder, and consuming in the following manner:-
    Eating the powder
    Mixing it in milk as a porridge
    Making a halwa with ghee and sugar
    Making a batter and creating pancakes
    Making a dough and using it for roti
    Deep frying the dough into puris
    Just steaming the dough balls
    Baking into bread and cakes
    Making into pasta and noodles

Thanks to various advances in science and technology, we have been fortunate to enjoy various gadgets like the humble knife, grater, mixer, grinder, food processor, gas stove, microwave and oven that make the task of food preparation and cooking easier.

Rapid strides in food preservation and storage, like preservatives and the ubiquitous refrigerator, have made it possible for us to enjoy exotic vegetables and fruits, squashes, pickles, biscuits, cakes and ice-creams.

Different cuisines like North Indian, South Indian, Chettinad, Goan, Italian, Mexican, French and Chinese, besides fast-food like burgers and fries, chaat, pani puri, pav bhaji, frankies forever make our mouths water.

We also have to acknowledge the various restaurants with various star ratings (starting from 0), Udupi hotels, eateries and dhabas large and small, clean and dirty, for a wide spectrum of wallet power, serving these delicacies. And remember with eternal gratitude the mass feeding of prasadam to thousands of devout and not-so-devout in religious places.

The various chefs, cooks, bawarchis and bakers have to be remembered before savouring every morsel. And those loving individuals who can beat the 7-star chefs hollow with their love, creativity in transforming the dullest of pantry ingredients into and tasty food - our mothers, MILs, DILs and others who lovingly cook for us, must be worshipped.

The effort of typing all this has made my mouth water. Before I go for lunch, let me sign off, saying that the power of Internet, and forums such as IL, have granted easy access to a treasure trove of recipes. I thank the super-stars, contributing those recipes.

Especially Goddess Annapurna in human form...our beloved Chitvish Aunty, who not only takes pains to type in the recipes so that complete strangers will be benefitted free of charge, but also takes the time to answer our silly doubts.

So next time, before you wonder what to cook for the next meal, please be sure to read this post.:thumbsup

9 people like this.

2. vidraghu

vidraghu Platinum IL'ite

What a yuuuuuuummmy post raji! Toooooooooo many varieties! Njoyed it thoroughly!

3. ashmitha1508

ashmitha1508 Silver IL'ite

Hi Raji,

I agree with you. in addition to that there are many people who work very hard and run across countries and earn a lot of money. But they don’t spend enough time for atleast one meal a day. They eat something in hurry burry.. they neither don’t taste the food nor chew it properly… My kind advise to all those people.. :rant
    You are earning a lot .. one soul and important purpose of that money is food. Give good food for your stomach.. So please enjoy your food. Spend time to eat.
    You will gain more strength to work..:thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  4. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot, Vidhya. I wanted to cover as much as possible.

5. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Thanks, Ashmita. Yes, many people just cannot get good food.

6. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Raji....
    Thats one good post on food......I agree 100%

7. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Thanks, Bunny. I am a foodie!

8. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

Hi Raji,
    I always love reading and talking about good food. So, naturally I liked your post. :thumbsup Whenever I am extremely hungry and not in the vicinity of food, I always talk about food, sharing recipes, reliving the taste, aroma etc. Guess you too had a similar craving to talk about food before lunch when you were hungry :).

Good reading! Thank you!

Regards,
    Kottravai

9. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Dear Raji..

I can say it is a Yummyyyyyyyyyyy post.. ! :)
    Thanks to IL.. :)

10. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Kottravai. You are a bit wrong. I have a craving to talk of food even when I am not hungry!

2 people like this.