1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Extra

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ILoveTulips, Sep 4, 2011.

1. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

It was a famous tamil song from '80s with difficult Bharatanatyam steps sequence where the heroine would dance fiercely in a temple waltzing around and around the massive pillars. And that was the song chosen for the Dance program in our School's annual day function. I, a 7 year old, readily accepted to appear in that. After a strenuous shopping for matching accessories for my silk clothes, flowers, long aritificial hair etc I was all set for the program. My mom didn't have time to see my practice, but saw the program directly on the stage during the event. After presenting a very moving performance(some were in tears) I came to the audience and found my mom.

"Mom, did you see me?"
    "Where were you? I didn't see you on the stage?"
    "I was there on the stage?"
    "But where? "
    "I was one of the pillars!"
    "Pillar? There were a dozen of them. Which one were you?"
    "The last one!"

That's the auspicious start for the part of my life where I have been an 'Extra'. :bonk

Being an Extra is not as easy as it sounds. It requires a lot of patience and also acceptance that I would be a 'nobody' or 'out of focus' through out the show, yet somehow my presence seems to be required there.

Take the cookery shows for example. Though its the cook's show, a dressed up extra was required there to make yummy noises to promote the dish and do all the talking[the challenge is - without any point] to fill the spaces.

Cook: "... ... then use the chopped big onions..."
    Extra: She is obliged to say something, hence she says "oh... ... big onions".

Then a long pause. Then the camera man would zoom the big onions, so the audience would understand very clearly if they didn't get it from the phrase 'big onions' before. :confused2:The extra has to pop an intelligent question once in a while to do justice for getting paid. So she asks the very thoughtful question, "Why not small onions?". Now the discussion heats up and whole show would go about the onions irrespective of the final dish.

I hope you empathise our struggles. If not consider the bridesmaids. We have to be with the bride throughout her wedding adjusting her saree and garland, still relatives would complain that we are not correcting her makeup, and if we do the videographers would complain that we are blocking the view. :rant

See? I will tell you my worst experiences where I have been exploited as an Extra.

I thought they were friends, just like I am with both of them. I have no idea about their romance that's blazing behind the scenes. Whenever we went out I thought its a friends day out. But I didn't know that I was an extra fitting to fool their parents. Parents blindly believe that in the company of a 'Good Girl' their daughter can do no wrong. By Good Girl I mean a 3G girl - Gutless, Geeky & Gullible. Enter ME.:evil: Can you blame them? To turn me deaf towards their conversations, just getting me a triple layer chocolate cake is enough. As soon as the waiter places the cake on the table, DING... The whole world turns dark and a bright spot light falls on just the cake. Months later when they announced that they are in love, it took me several seconds to realise that their love has developed right under my nose... ... with the countless chocolate cakes I ate. See I told you, its not my fault that I am over weight.

How can I not mention my office experiences under this title?

There would be a hardworking, dedicated person working single handedly in a project. [Let's call him MP- Main Person]. Pitying him the management would pick somebody else to help him. Most of the times it would be me. Its not afterall too bad. MP would take care of everything, all I have to do is to create an impression that I am working. Its not that difficult. I just have to learn couple of fancy jargons and use it often in the meeting and that convinces Project leader. I can start from office 6'O clock on the dot and enjoy the evening. Yes you guessed it right- Life is not that easy. One day MP would call in Sick unexpectedly and the same day something breaks in the system. May be its all a setup, his calling-in-sick was a drama and is an act of vengeance to teach me a lesson for leaving so early daily?:idontgetit: I never confirmed that till date.

Like some magic none of the functionalities in the system would work, error messages would flow in like water from burst pipe and from the Director to all his allakais (sub ordinates) would line in front of me and look my face eagerly as if I have plenty of solutions but can't decide which one to use now. The freshers to whom I have boasted the previous day that I am the pillar of the company would be standing there too with the trust in their eyes that I would perform some heroic deed and shoo away all the errors. Have you heard the phrase 'I feel like I am in a display'? That's nothing when compared to this situation. :drowningWith them looking for answers from me, all I could think was how far the damage would be if I jump through that glass window beside me.

'Extras' like me are everywhere. We are not given enough respect for what we do. Instead we are called by names like 'Crowd creators', 'Seat Fillers', 'Edupudis', 'Amerika mappillais'. We were given hideous clothes to make the heroine look beautiful, we were given meaningless 'lalala' lines to make the song pleasant. :hide:

I dedicate this post to all the Extras out there.

PS - 1: My apologies if the smileys are not placed appropriately. As per the recent analysis (that I made) in IL its been proved that posts that don't have smileys are mostly skipped by the readers.

PS - 2: Someone please comment on my signature. I gave some serious thoughts in coming up with it. :bowdown

24 people like this.

2. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

ILT dear,what a write up!!!

you brought out it in a humurous way...but seriously I dont like treating anybody as 'extras'..everyone has their one values...even in films, I hate heroine/hero's friends characters..always they would be dummy peices...Just they would be there to be the witness of hero/heroine's excellency..

And your experiences with the multi layer chocalate cake was really pity..but I loved the way you narrated it...enna panradhu sila samayam kaipilla madhiri aydarom..samething even happened to me also except the cake matter :)

And yes your signature line is so true:)

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

:rotflMy Dear Tulip Lover!
    That was :biglaugh:biglaugh:rotfl!
    You poor thing!
    Believe me being extras run in my family too! I was always chosen for a dance but being tall was always at the back:)
    Good thing was I could goof up and no one would know.

Then years ago my eldest son was so busy going to rehearsals. One day we finally asked him what his role was; he was a sheperd just standing with his staff for a Christmas play. Then my younger son was also chosen for saying one word, "Stop":)

By the way I would be the same as you if given a chocolate cake! Or any cake for that matter! So no worries! Weight? what weight?:hide:
    I am very sure it was conspiracy between your computer and the Project Manager. It always is!

So my dear ILT you always have my shoulder to weep on next time you are used as an "extra". Be happy!

Thanks for the tip; I made sure I included smileys in my feedback too, just in case!

I have been only a year old member of facebook; so haven't had that experience yet.

3 people like this.
  4. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My Tulip
    Dunno its becose the "EXTRA" or "Smileys",I'm here.[​IMG]

Your narration was Fun characterized by humor.
    See,many of of our friends are going to unwrap their rap up Extras.
    Now you are the PILLAR,here.Collar up.

Had similar experience in the Dance field,when was in 9th std.
    The dance teacher promised me to give the important role as I was a budding classical dancer then.
    But..while practicing, she made me to stand as No 2,in the left side row holding a Diya in both hands....Nothing but just to make a wavery move.

Her most wanted students were allowed two stand in the middle to perform the main dance.
    Now I'm that EXTRA one among twelve.[​IMG]

Concealed my anger while practice and never let her till she made to stand in the middle.Yes.I was in the middle of two VIPS.
    Its in the very next year,the same teacher appointed me as the Dance coach,where myself and another girl given a applaudable performance for the song "Nathavinothangal:..from Kamal's famous Film"Salangai oli"

So
    So there are many positive things in being an EXTRA.The out bursting of our inner spirit.
    Devoid of those extra shows,extra names, extra fittings.

Its true smileys always give that superfluous flavor,reducing the word yarn,the piteous persons like ME...not for you folks [​IMG]

Your siggy says "Cautious to get-mailed..or to be net-nailed"
    Provokingness

Thanks for sparing all your Extra noesis with us.[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Tulips,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Superb and hilarious. and so u deserve all my HAHA, if the mean something, and if not, then i have given this blog a 5 star, is that ok ?

What an extra u have been, the onion one takes teh cake eh ! HAHA

i have never read a better blog than this one, Thumbs up from me.Too good.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  6. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Dear ILT,
    As always excellent narration... No way I will miss any of you posts.. Smileys or no smileys, you will find me here :)

I have had similar experiences... We had a dance program in college and one of the dancers opted out at the last minute... And lo! I had to take her place. Before that no one ever cared to even ask me if I was interested :-(

Good one yaar... Keep sharing them!

7. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

I am not much of a snippet reader though I visit occasionally if the title captures my attention and today yours did the same to me !!

It is not you being "extra" but you are "extraordinary" my dear !! I have read some of your writeups and always have admired your writing and this time this one too....an "extra" bonus for me !! So you joining you on the ramp of "extras" !!

4 people like this.
  8. ramyasuresh

ramyasuresh Silver IL'ite

I have been always AN Extra to my friends when they go out with their BF's in my college days.

I have to pick up leave them to a place where c wants and the drop in her house.

anywayus c is my frnd na

9. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear tulips,

that was hilarious.:biglaugh

and whatever be the case elsewhere,I can assure you that you are NOT an extra here in IL..:)

I very closely watch the extras in most dance sequences..and feel very sorry for some of them who look prettier than the heroine..

btw I loved your definition of a 3G girl..:rotfl:thumbsup
    and posts that have more smileys are read more??? quite an interesting analysis.:) I must say. thanks for sharing. :wink:

10. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear ILT
    Fantastic writing on this extra....
    Your post was real interesting and it is so true even if the extra is over smart and does most of the important work still that person is not recognized well.
    Is that really true about your signature someone else using the account if you don't sign in for a long time????