1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Clouds, Questions and Answers!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

When my DS was younger, I was one day trying to explain the concept of gravity with the classic routine example of apple falling from a tree and how everything falls towards earth. The contemplative 4yr old that he was and still is, he said he had a question to ask. Happy with hope that probably what I am speaking is making sense, I was only eager to hear what he had to ask, until I heard the question which went like this - "Mom if you say everything naturally falls towards the earth, how come clouds don't fall down?". Of course google came to the rescue of my astonished self in not only answering his question but also in helping me gain some knowledge!

I was reminded of this question while on a flight recently when I saw layers and layers of clouds. What magnificent things these clouds are - they stay put in the sky; move with the wind; let the sun light peep through or not; they not only make the vast blueness look more beautiful with their formations, but also can create a havoc when they want to! Who is not thrilled with the game of imagining a shape in the cloud and trying to make a picture of the formations - only I stopped playing that when my kids saw different patterns than me and were frustrated that they could not see what I see. Now, I let them tell first and look for what they find!

Anyways sitting up there in the plane I could not help but wonder if God could see each of us as we imagine - looking down doesnot make it that clear! I can only imagine how the vast expnase of the universe looks like from up there! I, for one, would like to give HIM more credit than just that - HE is smart and intelligent to have the confidence in us that with the abilities He has provided us, we should very well be capable of making it good and creating our own destinies - there is a system in place! Seriously when everything looks so miniscule from up there, how can he be paying attention to every small detail of what each one of us is going through or what's happening to his creation? On second thoughts I wonder perhaps if that is the reason we brought HIM down to our homes, hearts and to the temples or places of worship!

14 people like this.

2. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

wonderful post Srama.:clap:thumbsup From the earth the clouds are beautiful to look as they keep changing their formation giving different shapes & sizes and keep moving on. But from a plane the clouds will be very beautiful at the starting of a journey after that i get bored seeing only the masses of clouds and miss their beautiful shapes which is better admired only from the Earth.

3. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Srama,
    I loved this post-
    Even I feel soelated to watch the thick multilayers of clouds when we fly!
    What more-I feel I get the airfares worth ...this spectacular view is worth more ,rather...
    and really wish I can snatch one wooly fluffie!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. parusabari

parusabari Silver IL'ite

Dear S,

I liked the post...the way it started with simple question...but the way you concluded is really nice to read. Yes we are surrounded by various mysteries which revolve around us created by the Unknown power which we know exists everywhere.

It is really intelligent of your little one to ask questions. Thanks to google which comes to our rescue like an experienced teacher guiding us...or i wonder how many ducks i would have scored. My elder one...i dont know why she troubles her brain ( or mine more) everytime. Ystday gave her an apple...and a question pops up ..now tell me what is inside this seed.Thank god ...botany saved me.But the more you explain , more questions keep popping up. You ask her to look at the beautiful moon and she wants to know wht the moon is made of ...and another new session starts for us.It is true we get to learn so many things bcos of these young minds.

Love to your kids.

Love,
    Parvathi.

5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Srama

When Gandhiji was in South Africa, someone invited him to see the Tugela Falls in Natal saying it was one of world’s highest waterfalls. Gandhiji politely refused saying that no waterfall could be higher than the Rain! When I read this beautiful thread of yours, I remembered this episode of Gandhiji. Clouds are indeed a fascinating sight whether you watch them from the ground or pass through them in a flight. But personally I find them a lot more fascinating from the ground than when you look at them from the window of an aircraft. Clouds approaching us from a distance with streaks of weak lightening and rolling thunder fill my heart with awe. The Distant Thunder is one of the most inspiring sounds of Nature. It fills you with hope.

I have studied clouds in detail as a student of Meteorology in my post graduation. Yet, I never cease to marvel at the fact that they contain enough water to submerge a whole city but still float around like wads of cotton wool! Your son’s question is very relevant there. There is a lesson in it for us. As long as the clouds are in vapour form, they stay afloat but the moment condensation starts, they just drop down to the earth. All our accomplishments should remain in the vapour form of humility and that will keep us very high in the eyes of everyone but the moment we start showing off, we just lose our lofty status!

You have raised some profound questions in your last para. Just think of the most fascinating of all the leelas of Lord Krishna when He opens His mouth and Yasodha sees the entire Universe in that small mouth including herself and Lord Krishna. This will answer all your questions. Krishna’s Avatar tells us that God does not want to be alienated from us by being put on a pedestal but He wants to be just one of us, among us. That is the ultimate essence of Advaitha or Non-duality.

Sri

11 people like this.
  6. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Srama,
    Another beautiful post!
    "Google" is my best friend too... :)
    Absolutely loved your post

7. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

That is so insightful. You know, as I read it I was thinking the same applies to almost all our interactions with people too, doesn't it? We're all too eager to tell them what we think, what we want, what we see, first. If only we could curb our impulses and listen first, or be ready to look at what others find first! : )

Your posts always bring a smile S! I was remembering Carl Sagan's pale blue dot as I read this.

4 people like this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you for you feed back Mira! You are absolutely right, they take an interesting perspective from the earth and I love them more from here too!

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you Shakambari for your feedback! That is exactly what my daughter kept telling...."I wish I could catch that cloud or I wish I could sit on it :)'

1 person likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you Parvathi for your lovely words in the feed back! Yes, it is wonderful to ponder over the mysteries even when we do not have straight answers!

Kids are amazing aren't they? That is so cute of your DD to ask that question..."what's inside a seed huh"!! I am constantly amazed at the way they think and am always happy to be at their level to understand what they they are trying to because the kids perspective always throws in a different light!

Love to your kids too and thank you!