1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Painting House !!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by shakambari, Aug 18, 2011.

1. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

How did it start?

I don't remember...

But I think I noted a faint rusty spot on the grill gate of my apartment...

Being a DIY freak...I thought I shall paint it myself ....

and my whole family vetoed it!

"Ma...it's not as simple as doing one of your Tanjore painting...you have to sandpaper the grill...climb up a ladder to reach the top portion and that paint smell is awful! You will get an allergy!" said sonny

Sweet thought...I agreed...

Next ...Hunt for a painter...

Hubby immediately got 2 guys from some contractor who works for his office...

"Just black paint "...I told them...and finish the job soon...and neat ...spread papers on the floor etc.etc...

Half a day and half of the gate was almost over...

On that fateful moment ,something dawned on me...

I went supervising ...Opened the paint tin and saw he had enough paint to paint 10 grill gates!!!!!!

"Who asked you to buy so much?" I fumed...Called huby who was in the middle of a meeting (or chatting?)

"Do something,Ma...ask them to paint something else!" Call cut abruptly...

Now ,I asked them to paint all the window and balcony grills...

Their face lit up...(more wages)

work dragged on...guarding the things at home from these guys...running up and down with no one else at home to help ...nasuating paint smell....

By the end of 3 days the grills were done ...and now I found the kitchen needed some makeover!

So ,more painting materials came home ...dust and dirt flew all over ...

By the time the kitchen got a coat of paint ,Hubby suggested the hall needed one too...

"What sins did the bedrooms commit that they are left out?"asked Amma...

"Why not the whole house ?"asked the contracter...

"No..I" said..."This itself has left me half dead..."

But eventually it was decided-Whole House...

More guys came ...

Then ,the drama started...

Furniture was moved roughly..paint spills staining the floor...My new bedsheets used to wipe hands...

the guys disappearing from the work spot and hiding in my terrace -taking 2 hour lunch break and 3-4 tea breaks ans shopping trips...

I was on my toes running behind them...

Kitchen was closed (total mess...couldnt even find a tiny place to keep things in the kitchen platform!) Dont know in which bow the Arisi and paruppu are....food was outsourced...Poor Amma had to live on Curd rice and pickles...Me almost at wits ends...

My poor old Mother was instructed to stay inside a closed room with A/c on so that she can stay away from dust and noise...

Everyday the guys promised the job will be over in 2 more days...

after 2 weeks ,they left the house ,all painted and new...me looking tired and mad...

Then it happened...

I fell sick followed by Amma in suit...

all because of paint smell allergy ...

"They've done a good job!" commented Hubby and Sonny...

"And I have extracted the work out of them well too" I quipped in...

"So you have a job in hand...You can become a good painting contractor" laughed hubby

"Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...." thats me!!!!!

"Had I painted the gate myself..."i thought..."I could have finished it leisurely in a day or two...need not have strained so much"

At times ,when I was hysterically screaming at those slipshod painters,I was reminded of that comedy sequence in some movie where Vijay,Surya and the gang are painters and Vadivelu -the contractor-always hysterical that something will break ...and Radha ravi the Boss-snapping at Vadivelu and his guys...

Here Only I was doing the double role of tensed and nervously screaming Vadivelu and that ordering about Radharavi...

One way to cool myself during those maddening days was -"IL ing "now and then...with all the hullabaloo going on around me...

Thats Multitasking...eh!!!!!!

16 people like this.

2. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

Super Shakambari.. Definitely a great job done. I know how a tough a task it is to get the house white-washed and painted while still living in the house. We had done it once when we were in India and that too just before my marriage. Imagine the extra shopping stuff and the constant stream of visitors and in spite of all this, the workers moving here and there painting the house! The smell.. Sick!! I was glad it was over!

1 person likes this.
  3. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Nice post. I do not like to be in a place where such rennovation work is being carried out.

4. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

So Shaka akka, like Sonny says "you want to try your hands in painting the grill gates too"........maybe you should have but then we would not have seen you with this beautiful writeup here making us enjoy reading your nostalgic moments with the painters at home !! Poor amma too !!

Now I dread akka what will be my state when we begin our construction et al........thanks to your writeup which I will remember and also the friends movie vadivelu comedy to keep me going !!

1 person likes this.
  5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

that was an awesome narration Shakambari.. that had me :rotfl I could so imagine you amidst all that mess.:)
    but now, you can enjoy your new looking house :cheers

1 person likes this.
  6. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Shakambari, Very nice narration.. I was laughing so much...
    When you started talking about painting the entire house, I remembered the scene from "FRiends" which you mentioned in your post :)

1 person likes this.
  7. shakambari

Mathu...
    It is indeed a back breaking and nerve wracking job...
    Especially when you get guys who were such specimens!
    I can imajine what a mess your house would have been -that too,with a wedding round the corner!

8. shakambari

Thanx for the fb,Raji...
    Who kiles to be in a place of messy work?
    But someone has to do it...and thats always me !!!!!

9. shakambari

Thank you Sudha...
    This nostalgic(?) ot fretting and fuming ??????? write up is one comforter I have at the end of the painting session!
    Another ,ofcourse is a clean ,white washed house!
    Construction is a bij job,indeed!
    No wonder our elders said,
    "Veettai katti paar ...Kalyanam seidu paar!"

10. shakambari

Mindian;1917956]that was an awesome narration Shakambari.. that had me :rotfl I could so imagine you amidst all that mess.:)......

Thank you,Mindi...
    You sure can visualise the mess and me in it !!!

And ofcourse ,NO PAIN ...NO GAIN! After all the hard work...a cleaner house!