1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gift right and your gift is cherished...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by shakambari, Aug 16, 2011.

1. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Sometimes ,I wonder if we should give some serious rethinking on the matter of gifting!:coffee

No-I am not a kanjoos who grudge gifting or a greedy goose who judges a pal by the MRP of the gift!

Every wedding sees dozens of bedroom lights,flasks(in the days of MW s and induction stoves),bulky hotcases(in Hot hot Chennai),huge papier mache statues ,Crockerysets and stainless steel dabbas...:drowning:drowningand the young couple are going to take the next flight to US. ..or their tiny 1 BR apt cant hold all these gifts...:rant

The concept of gift vouchers are slowly creeping into our metros:cheers but not fast enough to replace plastic dabbas as gifts...

Come Navaratri and I am loaded with a bunch of recycled blouse bits (with shiny prints of the Mills etc. on it!,odd shapes plastic bowls,containers ,apple shaped plates (the gifter thought it was cute but I find it funny eating out of it)
    and almost 90% of them go into my Reccycle Bin...only to be saddled on another unsuspecting victim who visits me!:hide:

Only,she repays my kindness with vengeance when I visit her...and my Recycle Bin is always overflowing !:rotfl:rotfl

I remember my friend who threw a fit at her friend who gifted her a kid a drum and the little one thought he was Drums Sivamani and her head was bursting at its seams!:rant

Shall I give you a tiny tip on what gifts are welcome?:my2cents
    Money(but it is not too appropriate for all ocassions...)
    Small Curios -if the reciever is an art lover(Remember-Small is beautiful in a world where space shortage is perennial)
    Idols of Lakshmi-Her arrival prophesies flooding wealth and She is never regifted to any one!
    Ganesh murthis- (if the Giftee is a Ganesha collector)
    Gift Vouchers from good stores(even if the value is small)
    Nonperishable eats like dry fruits ,nuts,chocolates etc(not sweets that have short shelf life)....
    Silver coins...

Gift right and your gift is cherished and you are remembered fondly

or else...God help you!

2. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

Really Good one.. it really does matter on what we gift. It makes the one who receives the gift feel important and that he is not given the usual run of the mill stuffs.
    I generally take enough care during Navrathri to select gifts based on the preference and likings of people.

1 person likes this.
  3. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Appropriate post. Shakambari. And I would mention gold coins!

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Shaka dear good post. I also believe in giving useful gifts. I usually give Ganesh Idol, Pithalai vilakku or Happy Man. For children usually give pencil box, lunch box or whatever useful for their school or some games according to their age.

1 person likes this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Couldn't agree with you more Shakambari.

6. shakambari

Very true,Mathu...Making the giftee feel important and cared for matters more than the value of the gift.
    Only make sure to avoid redundancy...
    and ,I swear,Navaratri gifting is a challenge!
    I usually stick on to standard good quality 2x2 blouse bits in Maroon (arakku)-I meter lengths...
    As I presume all ladies have some sari with Arakku color they definitely use it (even XL people are happy with 1Meter piece.
    Once I recieved a keychain with a Ganesh murthi attached to it...though it is not costly I am having it for more than 12 years and still think of the acquaintence who gifted me ...while all the plastics and dabbas have been recycled(they were definithely costlier)

sindmani likes this.
  7. shakambari

Thank You for the fb,Raji!
    With todays gold prices ,I dared not put it in my list!

8. shakambari

Viji,
    Thanx for the fb.
    I see you choose gifts with care...
    Once I gifted just pens (ordinary ones) and someone commented "it will be definitely used by the children" and I felt pleased...

sindmani likes this.
  9. shakambari

Thank you ,Satchi...
    Our wavelengths do seem to meet somewhere...

10. parusabari

parusabari Silver IL'ite

Hi Shakambari,

Very well said. I also feel vouchers are safe to be gifted as the couple can enjoy it as they wish.
    But nowadays i do find many people gifting valaku and idols for navaratri than plastic dabba's and trays. The pain of recycling gifts..we all have to face it post navaratri. hahahaha. You made me remember that i have to open the top shelf of my cupboard which has got some blouse pieces and trays to be recycled carefully this year !!!!:))

Love,
    Parvathi.

1 person likes this.