1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Friends

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Friends

Well tomorrow is Friendship Day. Is it that day where the boys and girls exchange those Friendship Bands ? I did not know u needed to show to a friend that u are a friend, by giving something.

I have been fortunate , in that I have many friends, more than I can handle. Yes many are acquaintances, but when I meet them, we have a damn good time. With them I don’t exchange anything very personal, but we joke and horse around, and ask about each other’s lives in general, and what we catch up since the last time we met.

And I have friends with whom I can share my sorrows, my happiness, my most innermost fears and feelings, without fearing that they will misuse my secrets, which remain just between the two of us. Such friends are rare, but I have half a dozen of them at least.

I have had friends who drove my mom up the wall.One friend, we used to go swimming together, every morning in my Fiat Car in Mumbai. We used to go to Mahatma Gandhi pool at Shivaji park, where it is said, that the water used to contain 80 % urine, and 20% water. His sister was a prostitute, and mom told me not to associate with him. But I kept friends with him, and never once went to his house.

Another one, was a blackmarketeer of movie tickets, he used to treat me to movies, when his tickets remained unsold, so I could not refuse a free offer, and even the refreshment fellow would not charge him for the drinks and samosas. Mom used to see red whenever I used to go with him for a movie .

And I have friends whom I use for my own selfish purposes. So there are friends who I need for cards, to pass my time, and have fun, I have friends who are good for a drink at the club, they liven the atmosphere, some who are broke, and I need them to liven a dull evening, and I treat them to a drink and dinner.Something like that movie Bheja Fry !

And I have some rich friends, who treat me . There was this friend, I talk of a long time back, he was unmarried, and when my wife was away, for a while, he would call me, and tell me come lets go to a 5 star for drink and dinner. I used to tell him, 5 star is expensive, come over home, I will buy your Peter Scott quarter, food is ready, we can sit and relax at my home.

He said I like that X 5 star, let us go there. I told him politely, that listen , today u are giving a treat, tomm I will have to give u, andi cant afford it, this was when I was hand to mouth, living in a rented home, and even today I cant spend that kind of money in these places , unless I have a guest to treat, or a buyer, but never for my own personal pleasure.

He said, don’t worry u just come with me. Well after 3 or so visits there, I told him this is enough, I am feeling bad, so lets stop it, but he would just not agree. I told him , someday u ll complain that kamal was a freeloader, and I would not like it then. But true to his word, till today he remains rich, and not a word, and we must have gone to the 5 stars dozens of times, and I never once put my hand to take out my wallet.

Kamalji’s company is expensive eh ! But that is the way I am made, I did not ask to be taken, but if u want my company, then pay dearly for it. !!

But if the friends or any of u come to my home, without charging u anything, I will sever the best of what I have, right now , I have an unopened Gold Label, and many other liquors, and it is my pleasure to serve u, but with the rider, that I will continue to drink just my Royal Stag, for I don’t have a refined taste for scotch as most, so u drink scotch and leave me to my poison !

And look at this example of Friendship which I read yesterday in the papers.

A guy called Johnson, died in New Zealand, a cricket Buff. He has left behind instructions of how his ashes are to be disbursed.

He has instructed his 8 friends to go around the world , to watch particular cricket matches, and put a part of his ashes on the particular cricket grounds , over a period of two years.

And he has left money for it in a Trust, and his 8 friends , can on the money, travel , stay in hotels, food etc, and fulfill their friend’s wish. And they are to drink the local liquor available in that country, and pay a toast to him, whenever they drink !

What a friend eh ! How can his friends forget him ever forget him eh ! Here parents give away homes worth crores to their sons, who do not even remember his first death anniversary ? Who do not care about the plight of their dad’s close friends and relatives, who live just for themselves and their family.

Well they say, even a dog cares for his family, then what is the difference between a man and an animal !

We are landed with relatives, by birth or by marriage, but friends, well u choose them, they rightly say, a man is known by the company he keeps.

And I feel happy when my friends prosper, and soar high, for it is in my selfish interest, that I look up to them, and they down on me, bcs they will not come to borrow money from a less richer friend. A poorer friend, well, that fear is always there, so I always bless my friends to be much richer than me, that they have farmhouses, they pay the maintance and I get to enjoy it a few times a year, rather than the other way around !

Well I have plenty of friends, and I am adding more friends to my list at this old age, when most people my age feel feel lonely and isolated. And some of them are the bloggers here, who have become my close friends, some of the finest people I have been privileged to know, I wont name them for obious reasons.

And I thought the only friends u had, were those u made in yr earlier years of school or college ! Because we changed residences fast, I lost touch with them, an then I shifted to Jaipur, so I was left with just a handful of them in Mumbai. Then I made many friends in Jaipur, and now so many in bloggers here. They are as good as any.

I am truly blessed, friends, for whatever u think, this is what I think.
    God has been kind to this old man.

KAMAL MAHTANI

Girl wearing a very short Skirt
    Boy Friend – Does your mom not tell u anything ?
    Girl – Yes she scolds me , not to wear her skirts, to go buy my own !

Once a black man decided to enter a Fancy Dress Competition.
    His wife gives him a Santa claus dress.
    The man is angry and tells his wife, have u ever seen a black Santa ?

Wife gives him a Snowman’s Costume
    Man – Have u ever seen a black Snowman

Then the wife gives him a Ruler

Man – What am I supposed to do with this ruler ?

Wife – shove it up yr u know where, and go as a Chocobar icecream !!!

Doctor – I have good news and bad news for u
    Patient, perpiring – Tell me the bad news first
    Doctor – Your symptoms show that u are truning into a GAY
    Patient – What is the good news ?
    Doctor – I think u are CUTE !!!

What do u call a married chicken, who puts Red Sindhoor on her forhead ?

Well Kamalji calls her “ Chicken TIKKA “

A sardar was boarding a train, when a voice came from above “ Don’t board this train, it will crash “

Sardar decided to go by plane , when again the same voice came “ Don’t board the plane, it will crash “

Sardar angrily looks up the sky and says “ God , where the hell were u, when I boarded the Ghodi to marry ?

Mosquito to his grandson – Pote, in our times it was very difficult to bite and draw blood
    Grandson Mosquito – How come, Dadaji ?
    Grandpa – Girls wore more clothes then !!!

CHANGE CANNOT BE GIVEN TO U EVERYTIME,
    U MUST BRING THE CHANGE.

Great words indeed !

Said by Dhaniram Samosewala.

Meaning

Please bring loose change with u !!!

3 people like this.

2. kssuma14

kssuma14 Bronze IL'ite

A good narration about friendship.

3. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    Lovely blog just for friends.Ya as you say at this age you dont feel isolated because you engage in whatever you like.Ya got to maintain separate list for IL friends,who make our day :)

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear K

Welcome to my blogs.

Thanks.

kamal

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ambika,

Yes maintain a seperate list fr IL friends, i have quite a few here, Cheeniya being one of them, Chitivish, all lovely people.

Regards

kamal

6. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Very nice writeup Kamalji

IL has given us so many friends.. Isn't it?

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear VC,

so true, i have so many friends here, ladies and gents, but i wont name them, and many i have not met, but they are wonderful people.

REgards

kamal

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Kamalji, you sure are a colorful personality and blessed to have so many different kinds of friends. Obviously they had something to give you (no pun intended) and you had something they wanted! I am just thinking of your mom - she must be so proud of you now!! I hope that invitation was intended for your non-drinking friends also for I know you might have many of those too....and then even though you call the married chicken 'chicken tikka' hopefully there are other food items that can serve us 'ghaas poos folks'. Did you say you heard a self invitation?? Kamalji it is after all friendship day and I hope I can take those liberties.

Made a good read - goes to show how colorful and beautiful the world and people in it are, only if we care to look!

Oh....the mosquito joke was the best - you could write an entire blog on that alone!!!

1 person likes this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji
    You are indeed blessed to have such a wide variety of friends!
    Beneath the humor you have beautifully illustrated what true friendship really means. I read this article twice first to read the humor and the second to savour the underlying message.
    A beautiful thread.

" I did not know u needed to show to a friend that u are a friend, by giving something."
    My sentiments entirely! Same way to show your mother, or father, or your love. All these days are created by business people in the west to make up for the reduced shopping after Christmas. You will notice that these "day" are spaced month after month...giving gaps for Easter, back to school, etc.

I loved your Chicken Tikka joke the best!

10. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji
    Let me start the post wishing you "Happy frindship Day"

Excellent post on friends. Rich or poor friends are after all friends na....we shouldn't forget what we are and leave our place and behave like others then that friendship will never have any value in life.
    Kamalji is what Kamalji is in this post[​IMG] Enjoyed reading it.