1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How WISE are you???

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

I have never been under the delusion that I am wise. Somehow with HIS grace and Lady Luck always smiling at me, I have happily drifted through life without any major scars. Adjectives like serious, intellectual are never used with my name. Serious schools of thought, like philosophy and spirituality, and I are poles apart. See how our Srini, Satchi and Srama churn out those enlightening parallels from mundane everyday stuff?

Not that I never tried. One day in the process of cooking lunch I just stared hard at the veggies I had taken out, no doubt waiting for some parallel to dawn on me…duh?, when my hubby asked me kindly "now that you have taken them out, are you trying to think what you could possibly make or do you think that if you stared hard enough, they would turn themselves into some exotic dish?" Well, ignoring these frivolous remarks that so impede the thinking mind I just stood there and stared but the only thing that happened was a very late lunch.:hide:

I occasionally do wonder about it, though. Then one fine day I realized that it was something to do with my mouth cavity. Oh yeah, I bet most of you did not know that. Believe me, all these years I too thought it was something to do with brains, the stuff you read and maybe even the "shape" of the back of your head.

Did you know that one is usually supposed to have four wisdom teeth between the ages of 17 and 25? Some have more and they are called supernumerary teeth. Okay!!! All you clever girls?.. now I know your secret. And it was heartening to hear from Wikipedia that about 35% of the population do not develop wisdom teeth at all.

Well, I felt something in the four corners of my teeth when I was around thirty and remember exclaiming excitedly to my hubby, who muttered "Well, about time, don't you think?"

But how come in my case there was no sudden spurt of genius, I wondered? But by now you do know I am a very optimistic person? So, certain milestones take time, I concluded and busied myself in living life with the limited resources that I had been bestowed with.

Recently my dd was mentioning something about it when it struck me again and I lamented "what happened to mine then?" "Amma, please feel your mouth with your tongue" I could sense exaggerated patience at the other end. I did search but still couldn’t feel the four strong ones.

The other day I went for a dental check up and to my dismay found that all the four of them have impacted. They are embedded in the jaw and will never come out, it seems. Can you believe that???

"Nothing to worry, it happens many times. We can extract them if it is giving you trouble, otherwise just ignore them" my doc told me. How could I tell him that the only trouble I would have was to endure my hubby's teasing "As it is, you had them late and now, they just don’t want to come out. So looks like wisdom is something that is going to elude you all this life."

BTW, I cannot resist asking you this…how many of you can come up with something intellectual when you see an assortment of colourful veggies on your cutting table?
    I could only come up with "yay!!!!…… I can make avial today":hide:

21 people like this.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Mindi,

love your cheerfulness and bubbliness....it all comes out so well in your posts!!

Since you mentioned my name in the 'serious school of thought' - let me elaborate. Here's the thing with me....had all the wisdom teeth come out (don't know when!!) but had to get them removed with the roots, which apparently were all in reverse directions in a good 4-6hr procedure and now I am left with 4 swollen gum feeling spots searching for those teeth and the lost wisdom:-( It is better not to have it than to have it, loose it and keep searching for it in concentric circles :) And BTW all that searching has left me labelled "trigger happy", "rule breaker" etc etc -this serious school face is just a face I try to put forward to people who do not know me....seriously!! Loosing them can do this also you know - a hard try at changing one's personality or getting back that 'wise personality' that I once was!! So you are better off - your intact happy self!!

Now may I take the liberty and say that was an enlightening and a wise post indeed - about wisdom teeth/wisdom, vegetables/cooking avial :) I can assure you that I really really do not know how to make avial and when I see vegetables....the only thought that comes to my mind is .....again??? cooking???? yes, yes I have run to Mrs.C and always manage not to cook it because there was something that the dish needed that I do not have :-( or so I tell myself!!

Enjoyed reading it!!

4 people like this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Mindi
    I think you have made a great discovery there. You know that whenever I hear of such stupendous discoveries, I go deeper into it to find out the veracity of them. And I have found some tangible proof to support your discovery. There is this thing called ‘human vestigiality’. It simply means those parts of the human body that have lost their original function through evolution like our appendix which is the residue of the tails of animals. My browsing led me to the discovery that the wisdom teeth are also vestigial and are fast vanishing. But listen to this statistics. The failure of the wisdom teeth developing is most probable (almost 100%) in Tasmanian aborigines whereas the indigenous Mexicans are never without wisdom teeth. Now we know why the ancient Mayan and Aztec history of Mexico is so rich as compared to the Tasmanian aborigines who still have no clue about culture of any kind!

Coming to me, God has blessed me with chubby cheeks right from childhood. Age has never affected them and my grey hairs and chubby cheeks are a great example of anachronism. My wisdom teeth are probably jealous of my cheeks and so whenever I am engaged in the chewing of anything, they make sure that a bit of my inner cheek too gets chewed. My dentists advise me that it is a phenomenon that should not be encouraged for long and suggest extraction of my wisdom teeth. I flatly refused to comply with it merely because I too believe that they preside over my wisdom and without them, I’ll look and behave like a Tasmanian aborigine.

I am greatly comforted by this wonderful thread of yours. Don’t ever worry about the hidden wisdom teeth. For one thing, no one will know that they are not showing up unless you grin like our ancestors. Secondly, hidden wisdom teeth may be a greater source of wisdom than the exposed ones. I’ll go further deep into this subject and come back to you with my findings!
    Sri

9 people like this.
  4. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Nice one Mindi.. I enjoyed reading it...

I dont have wisdom teeth.. So I always end up writing silly stories of Vid and Chakra :)

I once got couple of philosophy books from the library and returned them after one month. I had not read even a single page in the book:hide:

2 people like this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mindi,

Going by your analysis, I have to sadly admit that I do not honestly belong to the wise 3 that you have named. I may have been about 2 decades ago, but no one had an inkling - not even me. Till one fine day having nothing better to do with my time, I set out to count my teeth and discovered that if I had to account for 4 extra teeth in my mouth (going by the normal quota assigned to each of us), all my 4 wisdom teeth had made their appearance. Not too long though. Although wisdom came to me painlessly and unnoticed, it left me just as quickly with a lot of pain - yes, I had to have them all extracted for tooth decay. So much for my wisdom. 'Twas but a flash in the pan.

And forgive me any mistakes, but you, Sabitha and Cheeniya sir have set me off into peals of unstoppable laughter which is going on even as I type this reply.

Thanks Mindi for such a hilarious post. If I have gained any weight through laughter, I shall direct VLCC to send their bill directly to you. :)

2 people like this.
  6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

:thumbsup:rotfl:biglaugh:biglaugh:rotfl!
    Your thread is so refeshingly refreshing!
    Haven't I just now proven my wisdom level or the lack of it? ;-)
    Or maybe it has to do with the first letter of names! mine is a distant K.
    There must be this telepathy between yo uand me!
    Rather amazed at Sabitha's back to back deep threads, and Satchi's articles on the home page and now following Sri sir's senile ramblings i was feeling a little low and this morning when I switched on the stove i was staring into the burner hoping it would inspire some deep thoughts!
    No way...I just ended up making coffee; forgot the sugar and got a glare from my hubby!
    My wise four (teeth) peeped rather late too and were not given a chance to see the light of hte world, or rather taste of the toothpaste!
    Guess I will join you in just giving feedbacks to the trinity in homage and awe!

3 people like this.
  7. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

If you can churn out such posts without the WISDOM, then what wonders would you work with it!!
    Three Cheers to you for the humour in your writing.. Great Work!!

1 person likes this.
  8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi,

Firstly giving the devil its due, this is one hell of a post, u know i spilt tea all over my white shirt, today being monday i wear whites, and i am sending u the 25 bucks dry clean bill to u.Shame onu to spoil my lovely shirt, by maing me laugh so much, i thought only i had the copyright to making u all laugh. HAHA

Super b one.

Now coming to the tooths and wisdom and all that.

The only thing i inherited from mom was her bad teeth, dad never went to a dentist in his life.

i had 4 wisdom teeth, the first one, gave me trouble. u know it took the doc, 3 or 4 injections, and it took him 3 hours to extract the first one, and can u imagine with so much pain, that tears rolled down, for he used a hammer to extract it, and told me that he has never ever had so much trouble with a tooth like this one. he asked for 300 , a lot in the early eighties. normal extractions those days was like a 10 min affair and 50 bucks

the whole jaw was swollen and it took a week for the thing to subside.

The otehr 3 ones were easily taken out.

But after the teeth were extracted, it was then i got ideas for blogs, but these blogs contain no wisdom, for they come from a man who has had all his 4 wisdom tooth extracted already, so u find these time pass blogs instead.HAHA

Well when i see veggies, i feel giddy,and about to fall down, but when i see fish, and other nonveg items, i feel lively and sprighly, so i cant comment of that aspect of your blog.

HAHA

A marvellous blog Mindi. Best in a long time that i hve read

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Mindi dear I dont know whether it is telepathy because some days back only I was thinking whether I have wisdom tooth or not. Till now touch wood I have never gone to the Dentist. Cant say whether my teeth is good or not. So I think I am not wise.

Regarding the vegetables. Now a days I make different recipies everyday and my dh is very happy eating them and appreciates also. I make sambhar without tamarind and turdal. I use moong dal because it is good for health and grind the multipurpose powder(given by chitvish) with coconut . Sometimes make it with vegetables and sometimes with onion and tomatoes fried. Today also have made sambhar like that.

This is not relating to your thread but Iwanted to share with you. Today made sambhar, chole, capsicum and potato with urad dal, red chilli , methi fried, onion and tomato fried and grinded the fried items with coconcut and added to simla mirch.
    Since it was more gave these to my brother in law's dil who is pregnant. Went to her place in the morning to give she was very happy and bil's son was saying periamma ask her to keep for me also when I come in the evening

sorry long post

10. lalithasathish

lalithasathish Silver IL'ite

Dear Mindi,
    Excellent post ...a very hilarious one...I had never been to dentist..but my DH had been some 2 mnths bck..yes exactly for the same reason..to extract the wisdom teeth..he was asked to remove ll 4 but for time being removed only 2 ...he was mumbling all the while "oh no i lost my wosdim!!! " :)