1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Some thoughts or can I call them pearls of wisdom?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

As I started with a spinning class this morning (I know I have said that in an earlier thread too :hide:) in an effort to get back to routine and out of jet lag, my instructor's 'the lower you go, the stronger you come out' caught my attention and brought me back to my ruminating state and made me wonder if that is the reason why we bow down completely in front of God and elders - so that the blessings we receive will only make us get up and come out stronger!! My instructor ofcourse was referring to a particular way of cycling! But to my ears it sounded like music and I wondered if this can be applied to relationships as in letting go and simply doing our best.

Yes, yes some thoughts with doubts are doing their usual dance in my head too - I am thinking of those times when our wishes do not get fulfilled, when the way an elderly person in the family speaks or behaves may make us feel let down and makes us wonder; but then I am lucky and grateful for my grand mother who has a way putting in a different spin and throwing in the insights I so much need, most of the times!

I was reminded of what she had said in a conversation recently - that most of the times it would help to remember that no elder person would wish ill on his/her family; they want every one under their shade to grow and to be happy- whether it may reflect in their actions or not; they want their family tree to prosper whether they acknowldge it or not. And then, after all, we are looked upto by someone else too........ In most relationships it has always helped me when I stop and realise that it is not me but what the other person is going through, that may be behind their reaction! So it is important to keep things in perspective and do what is right!

Speaking about doing the right thing and doing it with passion, she opines that one needs to do what is right not just because it is our duty (as in what is expected, as the older one, as a good human being etc etc) but because with every right and good action, we are only accumulating the fruit and blessings that come with it! We are the recepeints of that fruit yes, even in sitautions where it appears like some one has benefited from us and may not have reciprocated or acknowledged; good deeds we do never go wasted! The fruits are always there coming back to us, as we embark on writing our own personal legend and destiny.

As I ruminate further on actions and actions with passion, I am reminded of this story of a pianist in a book and it goes like this - "The pianist was playing in a food hall where people are eating, talking, arguing, reading newspapers etc. A notice beside the stage explains that he is famous musician from the country Georgia. He must have looked for work, found all doors closed, despaired, given up, and now here he is in this mall.

Except that I am not sure he is really here: his eyes are fixed on the magical world where the music was composed; his hands share with us all his love, his soul, his enthusiasm, the very best of himself, all his years of study, concentration and discipline.

The one things he appears not to have understood is that no one, absolutely no one, has gone there to listen to him; they have gone there to buy, to eat, to pass the time, to window-shop or to meet friends. The only thing he is doing is giving the very best of himself, regardless of whether or not he is noticed, regardless of the money he gets paid. He is playing as if he were at the Scala at Milan or the Opera in Paris. He is playing because that is his fate, his joy, his reason for living.

I am filled by a profound sense of reverence and respect for a man who is, at that moment, reminding me of a very important lesson: that we each of us have our personal legend to fulfil, and that is all. It doesn't matter if other people support us or criticize us or ignore us, or put up with us - we are doing it because that is our destiny on this earth, and the fount of all joy." - from the book "Like the flowing river" by Paulo Coelho.

So I feel when we perform our actions or duties, be it in day to day to life - job, mundane activties, relationship adjustments etc, or something very profound, if we do it all with this understanding that we each one of us have our personal destiny that we are fulfilling and seeking that fount of joy that Paulo Coelho and my grandmother speak of, I am sure it will make each and everything that we do that much more meaningful!! After all, are we all not searching for some meaning?

13 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Srama dear a thought provoking post dear. Grandmothers are always there to teach us the best but in young age we dont understand at that time and later only realise that. Actually in this context I wanted to write a post but while writing posted something else. But if I had written also I would not have narrated like you narrated.

I am going now to nominate this thread . In every post of yours there is something to learn and some posts of yours are so touching. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful and thoughtful post. Your post is really pearls of wisdom

I am not a good writer so I am not able to post my feelings. Not only that I have no patience while writing a post or giving fbs, so what comes to my mind at that time I post.

Sorry for a long post.

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Srama
    A beautiful thread indeed! Blessed are you to be able to introspect at such a superior level. Such introspections are indeed fodder for our intellect. A couple of weeks back, I attended a Spiritual Retreat for three days at Trissur in Kerala. The theme of the conference was ‘If the strings are not touched, the Music is heard within’. Among various things that were deliberated in the Retreat, the point that you have raised in your thread also figured in the context of how to quieten our mind when things are not happening according to our plan.

Once I had the good fortune of spending an hour with MS Amma a year after the passing away of her beloved husband. In profound grief, she stopped giving concerts in public. When I entered her house along with Dr.Nalli Kuppusamy, I could hear her singing. First I thought it was recorded music. We were seated in the reception by her PA, Shri Athma, who was like a son to her. He said that Amma was doing her Pooja. Eventually she came out looking as serene as ever and I found it difficult to stomach her widowed appearance. Dr.Nalli remarked that it was a joy to hear her singing after a long time. She immediately replied that she only stopped giving concerts but nothing could take her music away from her. She was singing for an audience in the past but now she sang to quench the thirst of her soul. We were moved by this reply.

When I read your quote from Paul Coelho, I remembered this episode. For people who put their heart and soul in what they do, no external compulsions or disturbances will ever matter. In our Retreat, we understood that even doing nothing was an art that only a few could accomplish to perfection. It was a very profound concept. No action will have a disturbing effect on us if we understand that we are only instruments of action.

You have dealt with a profound topic with great ease. My kudos to you!
    Sri

4 people like this.
  4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabitha,
    yes, you have "spilled" pearls of widom!
    You have expressed the essence of KarmaYoga in Gita.

KarmaNyaavadhikaarasthae maa phalaeshu kadaachana
    Maa karmaphalahaethurbhoo: maa thae sangO(a)sthvakarmaNi - 2.47

You have a right over action alone; never over results.
    May you not be the cause of the results of actions.
    May you not have an attachment towards inaction.

Krishna wishes to emphasise that the result of the action would be greater if the doer puts all his attention and energy in the action itself, without getting distracted by thinking about the results. There is no doubt that the result will be according to the action. That is what the musician was doing!! It was, as though, he was putting heart & soul in his music.

This is the technique for achieving the maximum result from an action. The doer has every right to enjoy the fruits of the action. But he has no control over the fruits which will be according to the action. Having fixed the objective, having begun to act and getting immensely engrossed in the action, he should fulfil the action with complete devotion and undivided attention, without thinking of its fruits. Again, this is the gist of The Law of Karma of Hindu religion!!

If we worry over and get ourselves preoccupied with the anxieties for the rewards of the action, then we commit the mistake of escaping from the present to live in a future, not yet born!

Though easy to say,but difficult to practise - learning to enjoy whatever action we do, without worrying about the outcome, is the essence of Gita.
    Over years, if we do start following it ,the fulfillment derived is immense.
    Excellent post, Sabitha!
    Let me add, I am a great fan of Paul Coehello!!

3 people like this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Viji aunty, no no it is a not a long post at all. I think I did see that post on grand parents in the parenting section and will soon stop by there to respond.

Thanks for your sweet words aunty - I have begun to understand that when I write it is mostly for myself to understand me better and that is the only time thoughts pour out :)

Thank you for nominating this thread. Makes me happy that it made a good enough read to be nominated!!

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you Cheeniya sir for your response. As I try to understand my own reactions and feelings better I only feel incredibly lucky and blessed to come across books, people and situations that only aid in this process. Your mention of MS Amma and her response reminded me of what my grandmother had told my mom when she was quite emotional about festivals after my dad passed away. I remember her telling my mom that all these years she had the opportunity to do poojas for bahiranga shuddhi and now it is time to continue doing them for antharanga shuddhi! This has stayed with me and I have to begun ponder on working on that antharanga anyways!

I particularly loved what you have said here
    and I am afraid I am only going to dilute what you have said if make a comment. So I will just say thank you!

Your presence in this thread also reminds me of another thread that I have not responded to yet - it is time to go back there as well.

Thank you Cheeniya sir for that insightful response.

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Mrs.C, thank you thank you thank you for that beautiful response! You have put it all so beautifully that I have read it and re read it - that indeed is the essence of Geetha, in such simple words but such a complex task! You are absoultely right that it is easy to say but not so to practise and even keeping the thought at the sub conscious level itself is a task. People who know that bliss are indeed blessed.

Thank you for your words Mrs.C and isn't it amazing how Paulo Coelho can speak so easily and clearly through his books? He has never let me down when I have sought!

8. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

That is a beautiful post Srama!
    Very nice thoughts and thanks for sharing here!

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you vid for your feed back :)

10. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Lovely post Sabitha ...as always:)

Yes it is something we can all tell ourselves at the beginning of each day...do your duty without expecting returns.. but I first learnt this from my mother.....she always did her duty to her relatives and most often did not get appreciated for the same.But she always said her conscience was clear and that was reward enough.somehow that particular teaching got ingrained in myself at quite a young age and it really helped me a lot in my life.
    as to enjoying what one does I started practising it the day I turned 40...too late I guess but better late than never.. ever since I have never done anything I do not want too. :)