1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Spies in my house --the PPS System!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sriniketan, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Have you ever heard about this system which rhymes with GPS (Global Positoning System)? I haven't heard it either until I found it in my house..:)

It came with the purchase of this house (years back), dont' mistake it with the security system..ok ok..no more of :spin..I will come to the point.

The stairs, water running anywhere in the house, the microwave, the dishes in the kitchen, mixie and grinder, are part and parcel of this People Positioning System.
    See how it works

My mil used to comment that she can figure out who is getting down from the (wooden) stairs..by the sound of our steps..(see how alert she is!)
    Wooden stairs is our first stop in this PPS system.

Water running in the house is the next one, if the tap is open above our living room where the TV is (most of the time this tap runs at the crucial time on the TV) it is the master bedroom tap, which is used by all the family members and we would point who is there by taking the absence note in the house..:rotfl
    If the tap running above the room of my mil, it is my dh...and if we hear the tap running at my mil's bathroom, it is the children's one..and one of them would be there!

Microwave: This one is next to my mil's bedroom..she would predict it right, when her tea would be ready and also when her food is ready..her biological clock works very well..old is gold isn't it..:Yes:

Dishes/vessels in the kitchen: Washing, rolling it down (not on purpose though) arranging, battling with the preparation of dishes on the stove, shows that I am in the kitchen just as our mil's helper puts it, " Mrs.X is in the kitchen"..:biglaugh: Is there any need to mention about the sound the mixie makes..haha.

One more added to this list is the the garage door. Whenever we hear it openining..we run from the face of the computer and put a mask of innocent people working hard in the house (because my dh would get tensed, whenever he sees us near the computer and according to him, we are there all the time) Don't tell him this ..ok! :)

But in my cousin's house, she once mentioned that her anklets too played its role as her in-laws would stop gossiping about her, when they hear her nearby.. These are hidden PPS..isn't it!

If nothing is heard then means, either we are all asleep or on the Computer Typing browsing..:biggrin2:

It seems that this PPS system is acting as a spy to the inhabitants of the house themselves.:bonk:drowning:rotflaren't they!

Sriniketan

15 people like this.

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Srini
    I thought you are speaking about the play station but after opening this thread it the other PPS:)
    good observation...hehehehe
    I agree with you old is gold these oldies knows exactly what is happening sitting in they own beds/room:)
    Ok will not tell your DH carry on with your computer when he is not around the house:biggrin2:

3. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi Bhargavi!

Nice title People Positioning System. I would like to borrow this usage from you. And this PPS works is most of our houses I guess. Why oldies? My DD would tell exactly who is on the way to bedroom even by the bear-foot walk. Even without slippers, one can guess correctly whose walk it is!

And this we observe not only of members of our house but those in our apartments. And yes, even the way the tap is opened and water runs, one can guess who the person is!

Anyway this time too you have come out with a different thread.

4. apar_ram

apar_ram Silver IL'ite

Haha... nice one Srini... we definitely have these types of positioning at our house too :) very nicely captured and presented...
    Aparna

5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

:rotfl:rotfl
    Bhargavi
    That was so hilarious! Yet so true!
    In my home I actually time my cooking breakfast based on this! I know when the wash basin tap is on my hubby brushes his teeth… it’s time to start the sambar; when I hear the shower, which is louder, I place the idlis and then start on the chutney! When he comes down everything is piping hot!
    If it is pooris; same routine…wash basin tap on-potato goes on the stove, shower is on-poori dough is knead and oil is on the stove to heat slowly … when hubby comes down…hot fluffy pooris!
    ...till then I putter downstairs or just take the time to sit on the sofa with my feet up! So PPS for me works well for me!

1 person likes this.
  6. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

Hey nice thread!
    In my house it is exactly as Kamala said. When the bathroom wash basin tap is running, I know my DH is up so make tea for him. Then after a while I know when the shower is running, I start preparing Kanji for him so that it will in just right heat when he comes to breakfast after his bath and slokas.
    As you said ya.. People Positioning System (You should probably patent the word :D )
    Human Brain works wonders which even a machine cant :)

7. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Srini,
    Lovely post.
    Even I can exactly tell such things-
    If I smell toasts burning -I know husband is in kitchen...
    If I hear Rajdeep Sardesai or Barkha Dutt screaming ,I know Sonny is watching TV while if it is Vivek or Vadively yelling I know Hubby is destressing before the TV.
    If I hear anklets I know it is maid making an entry(not Salangai pisasu!!!)
    PPS is a nice abbreviation-hereafter I'll use it and stun folks at home...

8. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

That was absolutely hilarious! enjoyed reading it :)

Nice discovery and as mathu suggested patent it ASAP.

In my case whenever I hear the gate opening sound I know that my in-laws or some relative is coming.. so i start acting busy in kitchen... it really helps to make an impression ;-)

9. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi Srini,

Of course I had never heard of this term before but am absolutely not surprised that you have come up with this...:)

yeah very true it is.. my rubber slippers at home do give me away..or the noise of the keyboard..:rotfl

10. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Thank you dear friend Aruna...by not telling to my dh...haha..
    Only with these little spies..we are alert isn't it..otherwise, our senses won't be sharp...:)

sriniketan