1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Where are we heading?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sarajara, Jul 19, 2011.

1. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

IMG_1334.JPG

I visit my native once a month . We visit my husband's native in North Tamil Nadu which is rightly called the Rice bowl of Tamil Nadu.

I loved the lush green surroundings and the unpolluted atmosphere of the Cauvery Delta Area.I had travelled to the temple towns in and around Thanjavur and Kumbakonam before marriage with my parents at least once a year.

I hail from a village near Coimbatore, but the villages near Kumbakonam and Thanjavur used to be close to the nature, with small hand built huts with thatched roofs and walls of mud.Every house used to have a two wheeler ( bicycle) and many trees and beautiful creepers adorning them.Every house had lots of space infront of it where in kids used to play.

Its been only 1.5 yrs gap when i visited the place this time and i see all of those beautiful ecofriendly homes replaced with terraced houses and the spaces infront of the houses has been covered to build up cosy houses.

There were more vehicles on the road and the roads very pretty dangerous to travel.. even with our car, but for a hired experienced driver, i am sure we would have met with an accident atleast 3-4 times before we came out of the area.

There were many 4 lane roads now and more toll booths... The face of the place has underwent a major change... It was elegant like a beautiful village woman then.. now getting transformed in to a westernised lady. It does look good to see new concrete housses thinking that the people in the huts need not bother of water leaking down their roofs in case of heavy rains. But In a corner of my heart, a never ending pain had crept in and i felt that the real face of our country.

Indians are smitten by the fruit of desire namely the " Liberalisation " and "Outsorucing" .
    Seeing the financial ROI on leaning Computers and Technology, many of the youngsters want to do a degreee and learn communication to serve call centers or IT companies that wouldd fetch them quick money, see some westernised culture, enjoy imported liquor, try different brands of cigar, switch on to branded attire and check out various malls in different cities, Go abroad, earn bigger bucks purchase lands and get hi end vehicles adn enjoy the good quality highways forget about the toll charges.

Life seems to be all rosy smooth and everything golden,. we talk of getting internet connectivity in the remotest village, enabling mobiles with 3G connection high speed internet, provide sophisticated life to all the people.

We are not aware of the damage we do to ourselves.We have failed to notice or stop encouraging soem of the harzardous makeovers the country undergoes. We have
    1) Pushed the chirpy sparrows to extinction
    2) Depleted thee forests to build industries and villas and residential apartments.
    3) More farmable lands getting converted to Residential layouts
    4) ROI for farmers are not improving compared to the economical growth that has happened to the country.
    5) Those who worked at the fields find working in garments and other industries that provide them better wage with facilities at work like free food and accomodation and free commutation.
    6) The budgets no more bother about hiking the price at which the commodities are bought from the farmers.
    7) Mechanised farming is still a distant dream for the farmers as the machines used are far beyond their financial abilities.
    8) Seeing the land values raise , to come out of the financial crunches and to lead a bother free life.. many of them convert their farmable lands to residential lay outs and invest in lands and concentrate on improving their state of living.
    9) The financially sound posessing farmable lands concentrate on " Orchards" and " export flowers"
    10 ) Governments announce free rice and other groceries at subsidized prices only to make life easier for the ones below poverty line; but those who are at the middle class and belonging to the non IT sector whose life is mainly on farming and business are stuck with the new policies and the new taxes, that they are at the verge of getting pushed to the below poverty level that soon they would join the others.

Those who are learnt are busy targetting new heights in career, book for holiday clubs, visit resorts for vacations and try cover atleast 1/4 th of the world for a year's vacation.

When we have no where to go at one point of life and when we stop by at our native one fine day.. we may not believe that we were from the place . We might have to do an elaborate research to understand that the place where we weere then had been our native once.

Before its too late the country and its subjects need to understand the damage that they are doing to the motherland and to the future generations and wake up.

Indians dream of being super power and somehow they are trying to get a makeover of the country like a super power but then might end up with empty pockets by depleting the natural resources by forgetting about the background and back bone of the country, Agriculture.

3 people like this.

2. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Nice snippet,Sara.It is very true that are lovely green arid of lands are slowly being turned into concrete structures.What to do?All the wake up calls like earthquake,floods are to be responded to and we should let MOTHER NATURE be herself.

Sara,how are you?Hope you have moved into your own house.Yeah all the agricultural lands are giving way to concrete structures.The wake up calls like earthquake and floods should be heeded to and we should leave mother nature to herself.It is high time the Government took some action and it is said to see the plight of our greenery.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi, very nice picture and I agree with you. I feel the same way each time I go to Kerala and see all these flashy bungalows taking the place of the old fashioned houses with thatched roofs. They somehow look jarring.

On the other hand, however, how can we say that these people should stay back in time to keep the natural beauty intact. If we really come to think of it, where we live used to probably be beautiful in its own way at some point in time.

I am not advocating destruction of natural beauty. What I want to say is that then the same policy should apply to the entire country. We really need to formulate a national policy for ecological preservation, which should be strictly implemented. But that is where the problem in our country starts. Some are more equal than the others.

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Savietha dear how are you. First of all congratulations your post is nominated by I Love Tulips. Thought provoking article. You have come after a long time but written a useful article. Well done dear

5. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sarajara
    After a long time
    Nice article and great picture of the farmland. It is so true that these lands are demolished and residential places coming up. Each and every person want to change, city or the village people so all the nature is been destroyed.
    It is sad but true to each and every word you have put up in the article,
    I am here in Belgaum from last 6 months and I could see the changes that is taken, as this place is the agricultural area but everything is destroyed and buildings are coming up. It is really sad to see this.

6. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Savitha,

Rightly said. in the name of modernising, we are losing so many valuable things.
    We are building concrete forest by destroying the natural forest.
    We are already facing the impact and it will be severe for the future generation.

Very sad truth but why dont we do something about this?

I hope if some potential person initiates a process , then i am sure most of us will be supporting it.

We may not be able to completely change the happening but definitely we can make an effect in it.

7. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

hi Kanaga,

Thanks for the first FB:)

Am doing good :) Hows you? Its been long..:) Yes i got caught up wioth work at home and at office too. Was travelling on weekends also and hence no time.. now got a bit organised with stuff that i am getting slowed down :).

yes we moved in to the new house nd its bbeen close to 4 months:) Still i feel that there are a lot of things to be settled :) i think it woudl take an year for me to feel "settled" here :) i keep rearranging stuff and dispose things and plan to get some things tht needs to make it a wholesome house :)..

thanks for the feed back dear. I feel that strick government policies needs to be implemented like the western countries. we ahve taken a lot of things in to our lives seeing them and one good practice i see is the safeguarding of the greenery and maintaining of pollution free surroundings that they follow. I guess if our country takes up that as well from them, it would be great.

People think of new buidings and new areas rather than re modelling old buildings and utilisiing available spaces in a better way.

Its all in the hands of the higher authorities who run the nation to think justly for a moment before they sanction any request that might deplete the greenery.

8. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the FB satchidananda. yes you are right. There should be some policy to save the greenery and limit the buildings on the land.
    There should be more concentration on drawing out schemes that would benefit farmers and hence the country as well so that the concentration on the farming does not deviate by converting them in to real estate investments.

we had an agricultural revolution the green revolution once upon a time to combat the draughts and flood caused damages. Similarly a revolution needs to occur saving the lands from getting converted to buildings.

9. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

Viji Ma,

Thanks a lot for the FB:) thanks a lot for calling up and informing the good news :) Thanks for the encouragement amma:).
    Iam new to the new look of IL and hence taking time to get used to the new one. This looks fabulous! :)

10. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

hi Aruna,

Thanks a lot for te FB :)

Yes the lands so fertile and blooming with vegetation once are being replaced with buildings and its very heartbreaking to see that.Wondering when we would try to repair this.

Loved the text on your signature! :)