1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

'LOL'ling

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ILoveTulips, Jul 15, 2011.

1. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Few years back when I learnt computer, then internet, then the unavoidable chatting, I encountered this word 'LOL' from a fellow chatter. What a confusion it was to figure out why should she imitate a dog barking at the end of almost every sentence??? Was it a snippet from a new bollywood movie or something??

Days later I found out that its a short form for 'Laugh Out Loud'. Ok, it did made sense to me.. Its annoying to find letters on the keyboard to type when you are indulged in laughing out loud.

You know if you want to send an email/message that sounds rude, but you dont want to sound it rude, you add a smiley at the end of it. Thats fine. Some people confuse this and add a 'lol' at the end. So it feels like they are not only passing a rude comment but also insulting you by laughting at you!!!

There is this girl I worked with few years before. Daily morning she comes to my desk and says, 'Hey GM'... No, Good Morning, but GM. Its not that she is shy of speaking or anything, in fact she speaks like water splattered in the piping hot oil. Then why GM? My dreamy mind immediately thought in the background, what if she actually says 'LOL' when she wants to laugh out loud. Lollllllllllllll... Loollllll....LolLolLol <then gasps for breath...> Lolllllll ... Lo... Lo... Lo... Lolllllllll... lol...

Very recently in Facebook I saw an update in a person (let's call X)'s wall... that 'so-and-so person was dead.. let his soul rip'. What? Immediately my prejudiced mind started thinking all possible kind of horrible things that the so-and-so person might have done, like stealing X's girlfriend?? why else X has to curse a dead man's soul to tear apart, that too in facebook? Days later I would learn that its Rest In Peace. What a lazy way to show respect to a dead friend? ('rip' is not even capitalised)

Just after I felt gratified that I have learnt the abbreviations they use and I have practiced enough to use them myself, I came across next set of them... BRB, ROTFL, KWIM, IMO, IMHO, TTYL etc etc...

You kidding me? Is it like some slothful person, sitting somewhere invisibly in the map, sneaks these abbreviations into chat messages and makes them popular? I was so annoyed, so one day I googled, 'what does "KWIM" mean?' I didn't first believe what I saw. There is actually a dictionary out there in internet. They call it 'Net Lingo'. I didn't know there is actually a word for it.

Can I just create some new Net Lingos or my own? 'Went To Florida' ... 'Still On Board'.... Oh wait, they do have them already...

No seriously, I am irritated to the edge. I am going to create my own abbreviations and do my best to spread them across... Within weeks my words should be added to that lingo list... Ok I am thinking, where should I start. The first one is always the auspicious one. LOL... then somebody created ROTFL... ok, I picked up a sheet, rolled up my sleeves..

FFL - Falling Falling Laugh (விழுந்து விழுந்து சிரிக்கறது)
    SSL - Stomach Shaking Laugh (வயிறு குலுங்க சிரிக்கிறது)
    BBL - Breath Blocking Laugh (மூச்சடைக்க சிரிக்கிறது)
    TBGH - Teath Break n Give in Hand (பல்ல தட்டி கையில கொடுத்துடுவேன்)
    SPB - Skin (will be) Peeled, Beware (தோல உறிச்சுடுவேன் ஜாக்ரதை)
    ... ... ...
    ... ... ...
    ... ... ...
    ... ... ...

Oh wait. What am I doing? How can I put this idea in people's head? Seeing me, what if everybody creates their own words? Soon, all two, three, four, even five letters words original meaning would become obsolete. Look we already lost 'MOM' to 'Mean Old Man' and 'DAD' to 'Drinking And Driving'. We can't afford to keep losing our words. The Netizen's dictionary would grow twice/thrice to the size of the Oxford dictionary.

I look at my inventions on the sheet. NO... the world is not ready for my wisdom. It has to die with me.

I miss writing letters... Oh those GOD.. Oh I meant (Oh those Good Old Days...:bonk)

25 people like this.
  2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Tulip Lover!
    I was FFL, SSL and BBL while reading your article!:rotfl:biglaugh:rotfl!
    I used to think that LOL did sound like a dog barking! Still do!

... how about ASAP- sounds like taking rubber from a tree...

My pet peeve is when folks say "Please RSVP"...RSVP already means "please reply"..so they are technically begging "please, please reply"! Every time I read this I bang my head and turn into a MOW (mad old woman):)

You have a great SOH! (sense of humor).
    Keep coming with more so that I can VVS (vayiru valika sirikka)

:cheers

1 person likes this.
  3. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

Too Good Tulips. Sometimes during my chat with a few friends I had to keep thi Net Lingo dictionary open and refer to their meanings and chat with her. After a point I got fed up and said GTH! (Go To Hell!)

4. Riyakathir

Riyakathir Platinum IL'ite

its a great write up DF (dear friend) and you know
    if you dont know all these.. we are not in the youth group... many old grany and granpas are learning this and LOLing (you can read this in dog barking sound)..... even we can say JOLLing... ROFL (rolling on the floor and laughing)

please come up with lots.... thanks for writting up

5. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

ha ha ha.. Nice one ILT (ILoveTulips).. see you too have a short form... :)

you have intoduced me to many new ones here.. I never knew what is RIP..

yeah.. i guess after some days we all need to have a netizen dictionary and ditch the oxford.

VHO (Very Humorous One)

6. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Dear ILT,

ASusual loved your post...hahhaa..hilarious...you know what,i too used to chat without understanding the meaning of these netlingos....oh god...its so difficult to catch up with all the new words formed....:bonk...
    and have typed LOL in google to understand what it really means...

and i just loved your creations...hahhaa

FFL - Falling Falling Laugh (விழுந்து விழுந்து சிரிக்கறது)
    SSL - Stomach Shaking Laugh (வயிறு குலுங்க சிரிக்கிறது)
    BBL - Breath Blocking Laugh (மூச்சடைக்க சிரிக்கிறது)
    TBGH - Teath Break n Give in Hand (பல்ல தட்டி கையில கொடுத்துடுவேன்)
    SPB - Skin (will be) Peeled, Beware (தோல உறிச்சுடுவேன் ஜாக்ரதை)

awesome thinking...lets start adding these... :)

7. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

hi ILT..
    I'm always H(opping) M(ad) when I read this sms/ chat lingo... its so annoying.. for a long time I used to wonder how come people sms "k".. is it too much to type OK?... at this rate I guess soon the next gen would be forgetting what words are about???...
    by the way "KWIM".. mean????
    K

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear tulips,

this is one of the most rib tickling posts that I have read in recent times. :thumbsup :thumbsup

and the abbreviations that you came up with ..absolutely hahaha I better stick to hahaha today because I have a very bad cold and sore throat so really dont want to go " LOL" ling.

I am going to peek into your netizens dictionary and steal a few acronyms... to stun my daughter into wondering where and how her mom became so fluent in netlingo.:)

by the way before I use I should surely now what they mean so could you please educate me and tell me what does BRB, KWIM, TTYL mean?...:hide:

9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear ILT you have made ED (Everyone's day) by your HP (Humerous Post) . BOY (Because of you) learnt so many abbreviations, I never knew there is a site for that. While chatting people used to always say LOL now I know what it is. Liked all your creations but dont know whether I will remember. Will have to come back to yourpost to make use of them and make people wonder what it is.

1 person likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Oh boy look there is a whole new dictionary right here, ILT :) I am still new to the lingo and being slightly old fashioned and adamant, I refuse to use them in my responses. Probably if I were to text as much, I would be comfortable!

Mindi I do know BRB is "Be Right Back" and TTYL is "Talk To You Later" - I donot know KWIM and am still looking for FOO.

Enjoyed the write up ILT.....