1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Last Mission

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kkrish, Jul 14, 2011.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

After much difficulty we had managed to get tickets on a tour bus to view the final launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis. Join me to Sunny Florida to witness the launch bringing the Space Shuttle Program to an end.
    Thursday July 7, 2011: Location: my home. Time: 6 am
    Suitcases… in! Folding chairs...in! Snacks for the way…in! Lemon rice...in! Thayir saadham…in! Kanchipuram idlis…in! Water cooler…in! Lights off…check! Stove off…check! Appliances unplugged…check! Doors locked… check! And off we went...
    Thursday July 7, 2011: Location: Orlando, Florida. Time: 8:40pm (yes pm)
    After multiple stops fueling body and vehicle and changing drivers we finally reached our hotel.
    The weather was hot and sunny until about an hour to our destination. Then the heavens burst open and it rained… and rained… and rained. With thunder and lightning we were pretty sure the launch was going to be scrapped. News had just come in that two lightning had struck close to the launch pad but fortunately no damage to the Shuttle.
    Friday July 8, 2011: Location: Orlando, Florida. Time: 4 am
    We woke to check the news. NASA had decided to launch and the fueling had begun at 2 am. So we got ready and left the hotel at 6 am. After about an hour’s drive we reached the shopping center where our bus was waiting.
    Friday July 8, 2011: Location: Merritt Beach, Florida. Time: 7:30 am
    The bus left and we should be arriving at NASA Kennedy Space Center in about 30 minutes.
    Friday July 8, 2011: Location: Merritt Beach, Florida. Time: 9:30 am
    Yes that’s when we reached the causeway. The roads were heavy with traffic crawling at snail’s pace. I was stunned at the number of folks already there; what time did they get up or were they there all night? I have never seen so many buses at any one given time!! Rows and rows of cars and rows and rows of buses… and the buses were still coming!!!

Buses-2.jpg
    We were later told that about a million people had come to watch.
    Friday July 8, 2011: Location: NASA Kennedy Space Center, Florida. Time: 10 am
    Setting up chairs and spreading a blanket at a vantage view point we had our breakfast. The launch was at 11:26 am. At first the sky was overcast but slowly here and there we could see bits of blue sky.
    Now it was time to sit back and wait…and to reflect on all the glorious missions of the Space Shuttle fleet.

Shuttle-3.jpg

For thirty years the fleet of five which later became three went on 134 missions! Amongst them was the deploying of the Hubble telescope, numerous satellites, the repairs, carrying and conducting numerous experiments for many countries, and transporting items to build the International Space Station (ISS). The scary tether-less space walks and the repairing of the Hubble were some of the sights that remain etched in my mind! I cannot but admire and salute the courage, grit, and determination of those astronauts!
    The Space Shuttle is the most complex machine that man has ever built to date! It is a true testimony of the brilliance of the scientists; a true testimony of the greatest teamwork that could be orchestrated on a single mission! ws needed to build and maintain the International Space Station.
    Here are a few interesting facts of the Space Shuttle(s):
    · The most complex machine ever built, the space shuttle has more than 2.5 million parts.
    · In 8 ½ minutes after launch, the shuttle accelerates from zero to 28,002.6 kilometers per hour (17,400 miles per hour), to attain Earth orbit.
    · If the shuttle’s main engines pumped water instead of fuel, they would drain an average-sized swimming pool every 25 seconds.
    · Because liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen fuel the main engines, the majority of exhaust produced is water vapor.
    · The three shuttle main engines produce power equivalent to 13 times that produced by the Hoover Dam.
    · The temperatures inside the shuttle’s main engines and solid rockets reach more than 3,315.6º Celsius (6,000º Fahrenheit), yet the main engine’s fuel, liquid hydrogen, is the second coldest liquid on Earth at minus 252.8º Celsius (423º Fahrenheit).
    · Temperatures experienced by the shuttle range from as low as minus 156.7º Celsius (minus 250º Fahrenheit) in space to as high as 1,648º Celsius (3,000º Fahrenheit) as it re-enters the atmosphere.
    · Ironically the first trip of the shuttle is the slowest. It travels from the Vehicle Assembly Building (shown below) on a crawler to the launch pad at one mile per hour.

VehicleAssemblyBuilding.jpg

Contd...

5 people like this.

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Friday July 8, 2011: Location: NASA Kennedy Space Center, Florida. Time: 11:20 am
    The clouds were dissipating slowly and we could see more and more blue sky. But not much above where the shuttle stood. We’ll see…
    Friday July 8, 2011: Location: NASA Kennedy Space Center, Florida. Time: 11:25 am
    The countdown started and with 31 seconds to go there was brief hold up. A collective “Awwww” came from the crowd. We didn’t know if the launch was going to be scrapped.
    Then the countdown resumed…10, 9, 8 ... and finally lift-off! From a huge billowing cloud emerged the shuttle with its booster rockets and the most glorious fireball … like a little piece of our sun attached to the tail! The knowledge that four humans were sitting on top of this piece of dynamite made my heart pound faster!

Shuttle 02.jpg
    It took a few seconds for the sound to reach our ears... Then it came… the loud earth shaking rumble as Atlantis took off majestically up towards space!

Shuttle 033.jpg
    She was beautiful, she was magnificent, she was proud, she was strong and she was powerful!

This was my second time watching a Shuttle launch live from Kennedy Space Center. But the experience was just as thrilling!!
    A lump formed in my throat, my mind a cauldron of emotions! I was scared, happy, stunned by the sheer beauty of the spectacle, and deeply sad that this was the end!
    She was out of our sight in a few minutes!
    We heard the announcer informing that the booster rockets had fallen and we heard the quick sonic boom when the Atlantis crossed the speed of sound!
    As we slowly headed towards our buses reluctant to let go off the moment we heard the announcer, “The third main engine on Atlantis has now shut off….forever!”
    Shuttle 042.jpg

7 people like this.
  3. meerajesh59

meerajesh59 Gold IL'ite

Kamala mam,
    I like the way you narrated your journey and Space shuttle fleet. I felt like traveling with you. Thanks for providing valuable information. Thanks for bringing the scene before my eyes. Hope you had goose bumbs when the shuttle took off.

4. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Wow Kamala... So very well narrated!!!

The experience must have been awesome, sitting with millions and watching the shuttle go up... oh, so close to you...

BTW.. I too witnessed the same space shuttle launch sitting at my desk just some time back when I read this snippet...:)

1 person likes this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

You lucky lucky lucky Kamala!!! And that too twice!!! Incredible. So happy for you - you have no idea how hard we have tried to get tickets :( Thanks for the narrative, it is so good, it made me miss it all that much more. All those crowds, people waiting, the anticiaption....ohh....I can only imagine!
    This is something I can relate to - there is always a lump in my throat and more often than not tears when I see a launch, yes even on TV - the sheer magnificance of it, the ability of man and the grandeur of the universe. How else can we human beings explain and understand and be awed!!! Thanks for the write up dear friend!

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear kamala ,

Thanks for that awesome narration. :) I felt I was there with you too. You are indeed very lucky to have witnessed the last mission and be a part of this huge milestone in shuttle history. Since I knew you were going to be there, I did keep a close watch on the news, this time..:)

But Oh kamala, you know I missed the chance in 2000. We were in Florida for three weeks and hubby managed to get passes but it was a very early morning launch and we had to leave around 3 am .We had just returned from Disney world around 12 am that night and universal studious was in the itenary for the day ahead.. I just didn’t have the strength to take up everything or so I thought. But both hubby and mridula did manage to see it though. To this date I regret it because these are all once in a life time chances and I missed it. !!!:bonk

7. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Very well narrated Kamala Ma....i was really feeling as if i was with you and thanks for the write up...
    I cann imagine how joyful it has been to watch the launch of the space shuttle....

8. apar_ram

apar_ram Silver IL'ite

Wow.. Kamala that narration was so good. It must have been thrilling.. luckylucky you.. We got to see a landing once. Tried to go for the launch but couldnt :-( ... awesome experience..
    Aparna

9. kanthaeikon

kanthaeikon Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamala
    good narration and it was in detail
    kantha

10. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Kamala, sat with DH and read the whole story and felt as if we were also amongst the "million" visitors to watch the greatest shuttle of our times !!

Felt so bad where you had ended your beautiful narration "....forever" !! I just had tears !!

Great writeup and wonderful moments captured, so am sure all the wait, tiredness of travel would have diminished watching this wonderous moment !!