1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bear with me as I ramble on!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Expectations are what we set out with when set out to do something! As I prepare for my journey back home, I realised that my mind is already doing the somersaults and going over things to be done, done better, taken care of or to be changed to see changes in results. That is when it occured to me that by associating value to what I was doing, I am setting expectations and in turn setting myself up for judgement - by myself and by others around me, in the process forgetting the joy associated with every act. Even though we hear "Karmanye va...." sholka umpteen times, even though we are aware that we need to do what we need to do with out seeking the fruit, even though we know we need to be present in the present, these kind of revelations happen only when we are ready to receive them - we understand them better then.

I am sure this clarity of thought was possible because of the two experiences I have had a chance to experience.

I have signed up for some painting classes while on vacation. This class has been a revelation to me, not because of what I am learning but because of how I am learning. My teacher, let us call her Mrs.R is a self taught artist. To my utter surprise I found out that she can not speak, yes she is mute!! So I had my reservations about what to expect, yet I wanted to expereince learning from her. In the first meeting she showed me some paintings and asked me to pick out what I wanted to paint and was told the days and timings of the class. No questions about if I could draw, if I have any ideas, experiences. She was willing to look at me as a clean slate - with confidence, not just in my ability but in her own to do justice to what I have come seeking.

As I apprehensively went to the first class, she very cheerfully wrote on a piece of paper "Don't be scared, you cannot make mistakes here". That sure brought a smile to my face. It has been an enthralling experience for me - she demonstrates storkes, techniques and then asks you to follow. There is no right or wrong but simple refinement of what I have done to get what we have set out to get. While I am working, there is no one hovering over me, instructing me or even judging me! I cannot help but feel that that is the most meditative experience I have had, as both of us work on our projects for a good 2-3 hours in comfortable silence with some music playing in the back ground! Watching her I cannot help but wonder about how all of her emotions have only one out let - her art work and it all invariably comes out so beautifully, so poetically. Is she more at peace internally than me with so much of ability to express, especially verbally? I cannot help but wonder.

Weaving through the traffic and walking to the nearby ISCKON temple is not something I do often, but do it I will atleast once during my visits to Bangalore. On reaching the temple, it is always a surprise to see so many changes - the only thing I can be sure with no changes is the Diety himself or atleast I hope so! By no stretch of imagination am I a pious devotee going to a temple with the anticipation of feeling something extraordinary or even seeking the peace and finding the quiet that many people experience.

As I stepped into the temple, after being guided through various checks and lines, I was asked to follow the queue from a certain point. Thankfully there was not a big rush and just as I began to enjoy the surprising quietness of the place (which is right in the center of a big main road), I noticed there were small squares a foot in width and placed evenly apart to be followed before reaching the interiors of the temple. As I began to wonder about the squares, I noticed a board which nudged the devotees to say the prayer as each of them stood for a moment on each square. The Hare Rama prayer was also being said in a speaker to help the devotees. Out of curioisty and because there were a couple of others ahead of me doing it (so every one behind is forced to!) I began to slow down on each slab. Slowly I knew I could move from slab to slab (yes, just like a chess board but with spaces between all the squares) with my eyes closed! The expereince I had was unbelievable by the time I was done with the 108 squares. It was a refreshing change for me to slow down, for a change both physically and mentally and I thoroughly enjoyed the process. On further enquiries I was told that this particular queue was allowed only when there was no rush and when not scorchingly sunny.

I was sure glad to be a receipient of this privilege in the one single visit I made this time, just like the way I feel blessed to have come in association with my art teacher. I do believe that I could enjoy both the encounters immensly because I had stepped into both the places without expectations but just for the joy of it!

PS: I wish I could condense and write, but I was at a loss of words to describe what I was feeling and it would only be an injustice if I did so. So, thank you for taking the time to read :)

10 people like this.

2. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

You have had a wonderful experience.. And I am glad you shared it with us...

Very well written!!! I read it without missing a single word, so dont worry about post being long...

Good to know you enjoyed both your encounters...

I stay in Bangalore and have visited the temple many times. I have seen this place where you have to move step by step on slabs, then climb stairs to see the diety. I too enjoyed it a lot :)

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabitha
    I took my time over lunch and read your beautiful article. I savoured every word morsel by morsel and now want to thank you for taking me through the experience.
    First the temple- while reading it I realized that even in temples we do a quick puja and return most of the time. Chanting the slokas at each step is acwonderful way to make one realize why we really go to the temple. When we apply our full attention to the task at hand the joy is immense.

Your art teacher: there were two gems I gleaned from your teacher. One is what you mentioned already; to derive happiness in the job that you do. The second I learnt is not to dwell on the misfortune; instead to focus on our blessings and derive happiness.

Thank you very much. Somehow my mind is at rest after reading your artcle. God presents answers in many forms; perhaps your article is one.

Rest assured, your article is not at all long!

1 person likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you vidchakra for your response and your sweet words...I am not usually very verbose but couldnot help here! So your feedback means a lot.

I am a native of B'lore and somehow have always missed this - so it was such a refreshingly beautiful experience. I am glad you enjoyed it too!!

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you Kamala :)

Exactly my thoughts - you have put it so beautifully. I did wonder afterwards quite a bit about this. That expereince was immesnly satisfyig and added more grace and beauty to the whole experience of going to a temple. Incidentally just before I came here, I had heard a little bit about walking meditation. Perhaps this was one form!

Yes and I hardly know anything else about her other than the interaction I have with her for 2-3hrs/day. I have seen her parents very encouraging as well. She definetly is gifted, talented and blessed and knows to look at it with pride and joy.

Thank you Kamala. You know that means a lot and it only delights me that it made a difference to you. You made my day too with your feedback.

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Wow sabitha, I really admire your art teacher.Quite an inspiration to be with.:thumbsup

I couldn't help but think about my temple visits back home. no body tells me to go nor do they know that I visit these temples But yet they are all done in such a hurry (mostly on my way to office or other errands) that your post makes me think whether it really should be that way? my impatience and hurry reflects in everything I do, I guess. :hide: If there is a long queue I never stand in one... just pray from outside and leave.:)

a good one for me to reflect upon and bring about some changes in myself.. :thumbsup

7. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

Certainly admirable lady! It is simply like a divine experience in itself!
    And regarding the ISKCON temple. Yes I have also visited that path and said Hare Rama 108 times, in those stones. As you said mostly even in temples, we dont sit putting our minds in a relaxed state but are busy in completing so many rounds of the temple or as Mindi said, sometimes I dont even wait in the queue to get the prasadam. I simply get the glimpse of God and push off.
    High time for me to realize that we go to God to get that inner peace and should continue the same business of rushing off there also!

1 person likes this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

It is so nice to see that we are on the same page. On one hand we can call a stone a God and bow quickly and get on our way and on the other we can stare at empty space and still seek that God. This aspect has always fascinated me. I am also like you in the sense that am always rushing off from/to a temple and many a time skip even visiting any temples. So going through this process was such a change of pace for me that it made think like exactly how you have put it ie.,if should make it a slower process when we visit so that we benefit from the visit even if rare because it was meant as a conscious act? As always it is nice to hear from you Mindi and thank you for the feed back.

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you mathu for your response. It is heartening to see that there are so many of us who feel the same way :thumbsup And I mostly avoid going to temples in ahurry because I always feel more restless for being in a rush - so this was different!

10. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Sabitha,

Yet another post to help us analyse ourselves.
    //There is no right or wrong but simple refinement of what I have done to get what we have set out to get. //

I just love this line.. Too good :)