1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Racists-Arent we?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by shakambari, Jul 8, 2011.

1. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

We are deeply hurt and angered by any kind of racist remark or attack on us or any fellow being in any odd corner of this earth....but wait.

Do we think twice before accusing others of racism-if racism includes discriminating a fellow being just becuase he is born with a colored(read dark)skin...

Where else in this earth is there such a roaring market for FAIRNESS CREAMS other than our country?

Where else does a dark skinned girl child's birth bring worry and sighs?

Where else is a fair skinned girl a hot bride material?

Where else do find pregnant women fed on potions that promise a lighter skinned baby?

........Than in our land!

So in our heart of hearts do we consider a fair skin a sign of beauty?Superiority?

sindmani, ambika04, navs23 and 6 others like this.
  2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Yes, but how many Indian families would actually like a real white (as in Causasian) married into the family?

3. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Tashi....

In some cases a "Phoren bride" is a matter of pride but God save them if their foolish son decided to choose a colored bride !

Yes .I have seen it too...

A parent did not want her son to bring his wife down here just bcoz they wanted their people to think that theirs is a "Bahu" made in U.S. A. and not know that she is a teakwood colored Made in U.S. A. girl!

4. forgiven10

forgiven10 Silver IL'ite

Yes, India is a land of many colors. We've got the fair skinned Aryan and dark skinned Dravidian and every other hue in between. I think differences in skin tone should be celebrated for what is the fun if all of us looked the same?? The main pitfall within Indian thinking is the lack of fairness among people. Right from the caste system to female foeticide to skin-tone discrimination, it's everywhere. I remember back in my primary school days even I was affected by this type of thought which I saw was so rampant in society. I used to compartmentalize people based on their outer appearance i.e skin tone, dressing style etc. Well, eventually I got my act together and learnt my mistake. It is ingrained and glorified in our Indian society, this dimension of unfairness. We operate under it. This is evident by the fact that people can capitalize on discrimination in order to create a livelihood for themselves (selling fairness creams). I think its sad and it needs to be stopped. A country that treats all its citizens on par is a country which flourishes. There is a popular television serial on this subject, Bidaai, which I watched for a short time because this subject really intrigued me. I found it sad that many people in our country hold such primitive ideologies even in the 21st century! But I did appreciate the fact that in the serial, the dark-skinned protagonist was portrayed as a noble, humble, and wise girl. Which is often the case in real life, isn't it? Morality, nobility, and humanity go much beyond one's skin. So when people are on the lookout for only a "fair skinned" bride, I guess they must not be paying attention to other, more important qualities. Caste and status comes first. Its like this person I know who likes her living room to be crystal clean but the rest of the house is no different from the local garbage dumpster. Sirf chehre mein kya hein, vo toh budapey mein badal hi tho jatha hai....jo hume jaanvar nahi aadmi banatha hai, vo sabse keemthi cheez hai. I know if I have daughters on day, I would teach them to accept whatever God gave them and be happy. It could be dark skin, plump body, different voice, whatever. In acceptance lies peace and that is something I am learning myself everyday.

5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

You are right shakambari.... this is one of those " sad, but true " facts..

6. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Good and bad lies everywhere. Its the black cloud which brings rains. Its the darkness (black) which gives us good sleep, rejuvenates our body and make us realise the value of the dawn. The poets celebrate black colour while describing beauty.

We should not forget that It is in this land the Aryan and Dravidians mixed up, married and given a different combinations of generations. It is in this land "krishna" (the black beauty) is loved by many through his charms. In medias only the bad is projected more while the good exists but in silence very far from limelight.

When a racism attack is publicised at the same time where both go together its not projected much because 'divide and rule' makes the leader's life easy & rule us. so they will never let this discrimination go taking advantage of the mass who is made ignorant of all this.

7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Very well said Shakambari. The strange thing is whether it be Indians or Western people, all of us have this strange sense of divide - not knowing what we really want. On one hand the Western people look down on coloured skin, but on the other they go and bask in the sun with tanning lotions, to make themselves brown. :crazy

Look at ourselves - on one hand as Mira said, we worship Krishna, the dark skinned God. On the other hand we despise people with dark skin or with skin darker than our own. :spin

Human beings are really a confused mass of protoplasm. :bonk

sindmani, navs23, bhuvnidhi and 2 others like this.
  8. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Yes as said by forgiven one can sum up Beauty is skin deep....If we start accepting fellow being as (s)he is world will be a better place to live in....

1 person likes this.
  9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

On one hand the Western people look down on coloured skin,

Satchi: I have to disagree with this statement. Although it was once true, I do not see it as true anymore. Of course you will have the hardcore racists who are usually elderly and southern (they were raised to think this way in the old days....a whole huge other topic) but I no longer see this true...at least NONE of my friends think that way and I have a lot of friends.

but on the other they go and bask in the sun with tanning lotions, to make themselves brown. :crazy

Yeah, this is still true and yes its crazy. Premature aging of skin, skin cancer, what are they thinking?????

10. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Shakambari
    so true... the matrimony ads always say fair skinned.. tall girl reqd... as if thats all that matters..
    I know a family where the DIL was fair and daughter of the house dark so they would never allow the DIL to come out of her room when boys would come to see the girl as they felt that there would be comparison...
    K

sindmani likes this.