1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

That PURRRFFFECT taste…

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Most of us would agree that Mom's cooking is THE BEST? I think so and so does my hubby (his mother's.... but ,of course ! :wink:) and we also agreed that it is so because; it is what we taste the first time and for a long time in our life. So many times I strive to achieve that particular taste which my taste buds seem to crave and appreciate so much…that perfect idli, pongal, upma.And, much to my chagrin, they are the simplest of dishes most of the times.

To quote a recent instance, on my trip to India in early Jan this year, we enjoyed a three day farm house stay in Kerala. We wanted it to be a comfortable but "no luxuries" stay and enjoy a sort of rustic camping style and spend more time with one another. (read no computer, no net and of course, no TV. Only thing is at the end of the stay we decided to equip it with a microwave, frig and TV the next time but, that's a different story altogether) so we had only one hot plate. We had carried just the usual spices and decided to cook only from what was available at the farm garden. Well, it was Kerala and hence no dearth of coconuts, mangoes or bananas.

So the menu for lunch was Nendhrakka elissery and Maanga chamandhi (MC for brevity ) (Sorry, non keralites, there is NO way I can translate that, LOL but yes you will find it in chithvish's index. Let me just say for the benefit of my north Indian friends that it is a form of mango chutney.) My bro swears by my moms cooking (Men ??? tell me about it….) so she wanted to make his favourite. I tell you that M C was awesome and so was the elissery. I made a mental note to try it sometime, back home.

And so began my mission for the puuurrrfect M C some days back. Honestly, I tried my best. First; the salt was less ….then the sweet …then the chilly .By then, I had had enough. I just emptied it into a dish and kept it in the frig (NO…., the recipe did NOT call for refrigeration but I just wanted it to be out of sight….. you surely know that feeling????)

Something was surely lacking. I confirmed the recipe with mom and she blamed it on "Onga ooru maanga". ( on the mango from Malaysia. ) Oho ! I had luckily caught my dear Vasishtar in one of her benevolent moods and hence was spared her usual chiding "seyyara velaila shradhdhai venam." ( you should concentrate on the work you are doing)

But I was not convinced. I have always felt that cooking has something to do with ones hands. I am quite a good cook in the sense that I make a variety of food and am very efficient and fast in the kitchen. Everything I have made has been certified edible (you can draw your own conclusions from that) and nothing has EVER gone to the bin directly. But many times it is not perfect. and given my penchant for perfection ,I couldn't help feeling a bit low.

That evening, as I skyped with my daughter, I asked what she had for lunch (" Mamma? Why does that have to come in the conversation always?) and, she said she had micro heated a frozen "spinach and Brocolli bake", which is one of her favourites and it had been tasty. "Oh, really?" I asked and was happy for her till she casually said" But you know what, mamma? It tasted nothing like what YOU make….. yours is much creamier and cheesier". I do miss your food sometimes."

Awwwwww I just melted, friends. My day was made. The "not so purrrfffect" MC in the frig did not matter any more.

Afterword...… Wonder of wonders! My Dh, who very rarely comments on food, had this to say on MC." Hey, this is new? Nice and tangy, you must make it more often."

Now, THAT had me wondering whether the refrigeration had indeed done the trick.

(Just right in time, THE inner voice cautioned me, "Enjoy THE moment, Mindi" or I would have blabbered that he had not tasted the original version.:))

sindmani and iyerviji like this.
  2. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

hahaha....nice and hilarious post....

3. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Cannot agree more Mindi - mother's taste is mother's taste.
    Me and my DH both respect and agree that no one can replace that taste. I honestly try to make food for him the way he ate in his childhood..
    At the same time, though I cook some dishes same way as my mom cooks, I can never ever get the taste...

Next time - me also should try refrigeration the chamandi :)

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mindi,

That was hilarious. So "onga ooru manga" was the ultimate culprit eh? At lease it was not your fault.

Mindi, mamma's cooking is the best, even if it is broccolli bake (this is a favourite, and I am inviting myself over for a taste of this when you are here :) ). So now it is your turn to have your cooking appreciated by your daughter and husband. Great. And believe you, you did well by not letting the cat out of the bag.

Wish you many more such successful cooking expeditions. :cheers

5. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Hilarious post yaaaa sometimes we do have the urge to make that purrrrfect dish that mom made....which has us purring where we got wrrrrong...Next time I too will try your trick of refrigerating......

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

As always hilarious post Mindi. Yes Mindi so true mother's cooking is the best but in my case it is grandmother's ( my mother's mother)cooking because I have tasted more of my grandmother's till she was alive. My mother herself was like a child till her mother was alive. Grandmother always used to make whatever we like. I miss her very much.

As Satchi has mentioned now its your turn to have your cooking appreciated. Now I will be also able to taste your cooking and your mom's cooking if all goes well . Waiting anxiously for that opportunity. Glad you enjoyed Nendhrangai elissery and manga sammandhi, thinking of that only my mouth is watering and especially as it is made in Kerala.

7. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi Mindi. Nice to catch u after a long time and it ofcourse carried the Mindi Brand which I always enjoye :)
    MC is what I adore a lot. Though it is meant for touching ! ! (side dish for the main item) mostly even after I gobble up the rice, I still would be continuing with the MC licking it to my heart's content. And since I like it spicy I would always be liberal in adding red chillis and the taste would be awesome. But sometime after food, I would promise to myself that I will not muzhungufy so much of MC next time, only to break the promise again :p

As you said in the start of your post, mamma's taste is purrrrrrrrfect (u can add any no. of `Rs' for perfection), ur DD's statement confirms ur statement - ur cooking would certainly taste the best for her. No doubt about that.

So here's wishing you many more purrrrrrrrrrrrrfect moments in cooking.

8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hey Mindi! :rotflTaht was simply hilarious! "Unga ooru Maanga" and planning to live "rustic" life with TV, and fridge huh!:biglaugh:biglaugh!

Not only did you remknd me of my mother's cooking but also her words, "Seyyara velaya...." oh how many times I have heard it!

Enjoyed it much!
    Looking for more!

9. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

A very good one,really enjoyed it.Yeah it is our hands which also matter.I have found this out when I am preparing Pulliyodorai,when we mix it with hands,it differs from person to person.

10. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

thank you Swaran...glad you enjoyed it.:cheers