1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Taken for granted....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by forgiven10, Jun 29, 2011.

1. forgiven10

forgiven10 Silver IL'ite

The torpid multitudes lay in slothful slumber as the quasi luminous night queen counts down her last minutes. She knows that her celestial suzerainty over the dependent earth is soon going to end. She was hired by the Maker for one night (no pun intended) and that, is her destiny – to come and go. As the minute approaches, she slowly steps down the heavenly throne making way for its rightful lord. As the unsympathetic humanity fail to bid her a decent goodbye by virtue of being caught up in their own slumber, she sighs and hopes tomorrow night will be more congenial. Goodbye humanity, see you in 12 hours! Now the sky is anxiously waiting for its rightful sovereign to appear in his resplendent golden uniform. The horizon stands with hands in pocket in childlike eagerness to greet him with a smile. But the people are still snoring away into la-la land......

But imagine if he took a day off and let the night queen have her way......

…...For one thing, I would be turning up my heater another 10 degrees for every 5 minutes. Then I'd probably be turning on some lights in my house while wondering if something is off with Heaven's daily schedule planning. I would want to register a complaint with the Celestial Planner right way. Where is my heat? and Where is my light? I'm freezing to death and I can't find my clothes to go to work! Argghhhh. I'd wonder why the air outside is so stagnant and the winds have disappeared all of a sudden. As I look around with my puny little torchlight, I'd notice that I'm not the only one sulking and complaining because the plants sure appear to be doing the same. Why wouldn't they!? Without his light, where would they get the energy to grow? ?? A sad look covers my face. Darn, I thought of having Caesar Salad and my favorite Greek Feta Tortilla Sandwich Wrap next Monday but I guess that's not going to happen if these guys are not growing. Did I just realize that I depend on more than just the local grocery store for my food? I guess I did. Oh look, the windmills have stopped moving. They stare at me like I'm supposed to come move them. I did provide artificial energy for my paper windmill in 5th grade but I'm not about to do that for you! I look away realizing I couldn't do that even if I wanted to. How many people have depended on me for their energy? None. How many people, plants, animals, and other entities depend on him for energy? Countless. Gosh, I feel like never thanked him enough. He sustains every live manifestation on earth.......He is the fuel of life itself.....He's existed eons before you and me....and why is it that I feel thankful for him only when he is gone? Shouldn't I be thankful when I see him everyday? I guess I should. But what does “day” mean without him let alone “every”. I'd be grateful if he just turned this one laborious night into day! Oh well, at least its a day off from work. That's not so bad I guess. WAIT! My phone's ringing and its my boss!!! Aaaahhhhh.......*gentle voice* “hello?”....”you're late to work @#$##$##!!!*......I end the call in utter horror. I cannot shirk my work but the Sun can?? Not fair, God. You better send him now or else.....!!...or ellllllsssseeee............Or else, what?? …......Uh, nothing. I'll just continue to beg, hope, and pray that he comes and makes my “day”.....I feel like I'm living 8000 feet below the ocean. As I shine my torchlight into the pitch dark closet, I wonder if soon Giant Tube Worms are going to flock around me with curious gazes. (I wonder if they smell bad. Yuck). My anti-social tendencies would then reach peak maturity..... hmmmmmmm -can't tell what color this blouse is, can't tell if it goes with these pants-...... aahh, why should I even wear clothes at all? Its not like people can “see.”, haha.........okay, bad joke. I slam the closet door shut and throw a naughty grin to myself........But at least I'm in better shape than Isaac Newton, right? If he was here, he'd be going bonkers calculating the distortion of the gravitational constant in light of his little candle (provided Diamond doesn't knock it over his papers and burn them again). Oh no! The gravitational constant is not 9.8 m/s anymore, nerds. Aaaaaah. Oh and please summon Johannes Kepler and Tycho Brahe from their graves please. Thank You. We need them to recalculate the diameters of the orbits of the 9 celestial bodies. By the way, Kepler, weren't those calculations like ultra-precise?? I mean, one-small-change-and-we-could-all-die type precision? Oh my stars. Announcement: Whoever is in celestial control, please don't mess with our earth's fine-tuning or else we're gonna die! Okay Kepler, I told them. I thought not having my favorite Greek Sandwich was bad but now …...to think, I could die.??!! Now that's a depressing thought. Why was I ever created to be so dependent on the sun? Why can't I have my own little light source, heat source and life source?? Okay, okay I know - I would suck at maintaining them. We all would probably do. God, did I ever tell you what a wonderful job you do with managing these things for us? Thanks, I......I appreciate it, really......my serene voice is disrupted by my loud ring tone Arghhhh, my phone is ringing again and my group project is due today and where are my black pants...........*thump*........I curse the wooden floor as I try to stand up taking the railing's support. I can't take this anymore. I think I'm going to die. I can't see, I can't breathe, I can't eat, I can't walk.....and I don't even know how long I'm going to live! I was supposed to say sorry to my best friend at work today. What if Saint Peter pushes me down into hell on account of one less sorry? I close my eyes and imagine myself screaming as I fall through empty space.......down into the depths where the devil lives. Demons pick on me like vultures pick flesh out of their dead prey. I try to shove them away but am overpowered by their strength! ….....I scream for help, I cry in agony, I eye the distant scorching flames in mad fear............. Punches. Hits. Slaps. Kicks. I feel them all.........But who is this tickling my face???????? I feel a gentle touch on my face! As my heart is thumping at the speed of Michael's Schumaker's Ferrari, I slowly open my eyes with an amount of hope no bigger than a tiny mustard seed...................................SUNLIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I look around......heyyyy, this is my room. I'm on my bed and my alarm says its 6:30 am. Never did I smile this much at a ticklish feeling on my face. Instead, every morning when the sun gently tickles me, I squirm and complain. Springing out of my bed, I run to my back yard as if I had just seen a long-lost childhood friend......."suuuuuuun!!!!! suuuun!!!!......sun!!"......*deep breath* “Oh, sun – if only I could, I would SO hug you right now!!!!!!”. The sun looks at me in utter surprise. *Hey, I come and see you everyday, so what's the matter today – why are you so happy?*
    I take another deep breath and sit down on the green grass. Actually sun, you know I had a dream about you last night. (Yay, the night is officially over!) *What! You dreamt about me??? *Yes, I sure did. And I'm going to tell you all about it but first let me go get ready for work because my boss already called me twice.........*but hey, its just 6:40 am, are you sure he called you?* Oh my bad. I guess that was in my dream as well. We silly little stressed out humans can't separate dreams from reality. Sorry sun. Let me grab the water hose cause look at these poor plants......we ALL were missing you to bits! I water the droopy plants as I walk around my yard with schoolgirl enthusiasm. I talk the sun's ears off as he gently smiles at me from the sky.......I tell him my dream....I tell him how much I missed him, how grateful I am for him in a loud voice.................He assures me that he will never fail me. Good, I reply in a grateful tone. And as I look through the corner of my eye, I see my neighbor intently watching me as though he is in a zoo! He must think I have gone mad or else why would I be talking to myself at 6:40 early in the morning. I wave my hand and flash an ultra-bright smile at him. Okay, now he's fully confirmed that I've gone mad. :)

Brb, sun. I'm gonna make a sandwich, would you like one? He smiles at me.

I go back to my room. Kneeling down, I fold my hands like a child and thank God. “God, I know I thanked you in my dream but – today I just want to thank you so much for being the meticulous heavenly planner, provider, and sustainer that you are! Thank you for the sun. Thank you that I can live another day.”

As I walk towards my cabin at work, I see that my colleague is a little depressed. “Want to talk about it over lunch?” I ask. “Sure”, she replies as she walks towards hers. At lunch, she tells me that her group project did not get approved this time. She needs to make more changes but she's already tired of it. I tell her that it could be worse, you know. “”What do you mean?”, she asks in an angry voice. Uhm. Well, you know....I guess I'm feeling thankful for the small things today. She : “Huh??” Me: Never mind, did you notice how beautiful the sun looks today? She shakes her head and continues eating her sandwich as I smile at her.

Though it is an everyday event, the sunrise is a divine miracle. A miracle that is special because God does it everyday. Hey, God knows how many little buttons He has to tweak in order to get the sunlight exactly right. He does it so well. And the earth is still happy and live. So, why not throw the Heavenly Maker a quick thanks tomorrow morning for the sunlight He's provided? [​IMG]

Sunrise_over_the_sea.jpg

Written by:
    Forgiven :)

2. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

So well Written..I am a bit moody based on the weather. When there is sunshine, I am cheerful. When it rains, I am depressed.
    When I drop off my DS to school and if it is sunny outside, we both sing the 'Sun Sun Mr.Golden Sun, Please shine down on me' loud on the road :)

Yes, reading your post has made me thank God for the small things in life which we think are small but are the very means of our existence

3. forgiven10

forgiven10 Silver IL'ite

That is super-cute ptamil! :)

Very true.

4. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

As always, lovely post forgiven10.

Sunrises and Sunsets are so magical - aren't they?

Gazing up in the night skies makes one realize how puny and insignificant all our daily trivia are, and yet, that is all we are and know in a sense. It humbles me to think about the immensity of the skies and the magnificence of nature that surrounds us, and nurtures us every living moment.

There's this amazing verse from the Rigveda that I am reminded of:

हिरण्यगर्भः समवर्तताग्रे भूतस्य जातः पतिरेकासीत ।
    स दाधार पृथ्वीं ध्यामुतेमां कस्मै देवायहविषा विधेम ॥
    'य आत्मदा बलदा यस्य विश्व उपासते प्रशिषं यस्यदेवाः ।
    यस्य छायामृतं यस्य मर्त्युः कस्मै देवायहविषा विधेम ॥
    यः प्राणतो निमिषतो महित्वैक इद्राजा जगतो बभूव ।
    य ईशे अस्य द्विपदश्चतुष्पदः कस्मै देवाय हविषाविधेम ॥

परजापते न तवदेतान्यन्यो विश्वा जातानि परि ताबभूव ।
    यत्कामास्ते जुहुमस्तन नो अस्तु वयं सयाम पतयोरयीणाम ॥

It goes on like this, (here's a rough translation ...) wondering at the divine and asks what it is that sustains the life force, and the skies, water, earth, heavens, and the space. It asks whom should we as humans make these offerings to, and is basically just an amazing piece of poetry wondering out aloud about the divine that is around and within us.

Yours was a lovely post, and just reminded me of this verse!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. forgiven10

forgiven10 Silver IL'ite

Very humbling indeed, Dhaanika.

Wow, beautiful! I wish I could read the original language (not that your translation was bad, haha).......even when I read the Bible in English, I often wish I could read Hebrew/Greek/Aramaic i.e the originals because nothing can beat the original flavor of thought....I feel like the raw emotions and feelings are lost in translations sometimes......Thanks for sharing, this was very relevant. :)

Thanks for taking the time to read and for your thoughtful, appreciative response. :)

6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Very beautiful forgiven! When we complain of hot, hot hot...it only takes two or three days of continous rain for us to realize how much we need the sun!
    Now you mus tbe enjoying midnight sun..right?
    Enjoy the sunshine while its there...I too feel sad when September rolls around!
    Happy summer days!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. forgiven10

forgiven10 Silver IL'ite

Hi Kkrish! Thanks so much! you're right, happy summer days! :)

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Forgiven,

This is the first time I am inter acting with you, I think! 'Forgiven', an unusual username! Hope you have forgiven all that you wanted to?!:)

Not having sun in our lives is like not having life! I think so, because when Sun stops smiling on us, I guess the life is sure to come to a standstill. Well, if you go see those science fiction movies, one can get away with such a fantasy I guess. What a dreary life it would be....I shudder to think.

Like Kkrish, I too cheer up when the summer months come in their full swing. Not that we don't see sun in winter. Only its warmth is missing.

I note you are from Iceland. I think Iceland enjoys a temperate climate. So you are lucky. Imagine in some countries, the winter months are so long that one does not even see the sun. That must be hard, oh yes.

A very interesting take on sun whom we take for granted in our day to day life. I am glad that it happened only in a fictionalistic dream!! Enjoyed reading it.

Wanted to let you know. Everyday, I start my morning with a thank you to the sun when I draw the curtains for the day and say the following slokam:

Udaye Bramha Swaroopayam
    Madhyahnethu Maheswaram
    Astamanne Swayam Vishnum
    Trayamoorthi Diwakaram.

(Bramha, Vishnu and Maheswara, the Trimoorthys are to be seen in Sun)

L, Kamla

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. forgiven10

forgiven10 Silver IL'ite

Hello Kamla ji! Nice to meet you on IL! :)

Isn't it? You are now the third person on IL to have noticed it and commented upon it. Yes, I think I have forgiven those who have offended me. I chose this particular user name because that's how I want people to identify me, forgiven, because that's what my life is about! My entire life hangs on forgiveness.

I must admit that I don't thank God as much as I need to for His daily provision, care, and fatherly concern. So I just sat down and imagined one time, how would it be if tomorrow never came. And for tomorrow not to come, means for the sun not to rise. Then it struck me, the importance of sunrise!

Thank you! I'm humbled and grateful to hear your kind response.

Thanks for sharing, :)

10. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear forgiven

This is not the first time it is happening. ‘Somebody does the job and somebody else takes the credit’ is the mantra of the modern corporate world. There was a time when this used to be an exception but now it has become a rule!

The Sun puts up its appearance and the whole world goes gaga over it. You make an offer of sandwich, an exotic one at that, to it or should I say him? Kamla opens the curtain and the sight of the sun makes her break into a soulful prayer to the ‘Trayamoorthi’ that she beholds in him. Dhaanika quotes profusely from Rig Veda all in his praise. And of course, the Sun accepts all this with a smug smile that puts a prize winning convent girl to shame! He gets all this praise for not moving his limbs for millions of years except for an occasional flare up to stretch his lazy muscles that had remained stationary for centuries. Even this imperceptible movement causes great hiccups in our earth with radio activity upsetting communications across the globe.

Look at our mother earth! She does all the running around day in and day out ever since her birth and do we offer her a sandwich because she causes the Sun to appear without fail every day except on such occasions when great Pativratas forbidding the Sun from rising to avoid their husbands dying at sunrise due to some ill-tempered Rishi’s curse? The Sun, of course, couldn’t care less but our Mother Earth stops in her track on hearing the Pativrata’s call. Mother Earth makes the day and night and the four seasons. But no offer of sandwich for her! On the contrary we hardly bother to pay her any attention. I know that she has aged 10 times more in my life time than in all these billions of years.

I guess this is how life has been structured by God. If one is willing to accept the mantle of leadership, he can cease to work from that day. Others will do it for him!
    Sri

Thyagarajan likes this.