1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life in Reverse Gear

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, May 24, 2011.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

I have mentioned a few weeks ago that I am waiting for the right kind of motivation to lose some weight. I am terrified of being fat. I have always hankered after being fit. But then as I also said, I have come to the conclusion (or should I say had come to the conclusion?), that it is better to live in tents.

Hold on, the status has changed this morning. The latest news in the paper gives me the happy news that I can change from fat to fit in no time (or almost no time) at all. All I have to do is to consider doing what I have done all my life in reverse. I am given to believe, that doing so will reverse all the accumulated sins of my life. Interesting. According to the study, runing backwards is more effective than walking forwards - it protects the joints and helps to burn the calories. "It is a more efficient way of moving - in fact, a fast-forward route to fitness" - their words, not mine (TOI, May 24, 2011). According to the study, those who stuck to the study lost 2.5 % of their body fat by the end of 6 weeks - 3 days a week. So if I may apply the law of mathematics here - I know it may not work like that, but I might as well exercise my brains along with my fingers if nothing else for a start. I can't say much about the body, but I hope I succeed in keeping my mind agile and fit. So as I was saying, that would mean 6 days a week would relieve you of the same amount of fat in 3 weeks or 5% in one and a half months. So in 20 X 6 = 120 weeks i.e. in 30 months i.e in around 2 and a half years I should have lost all the fat in my body. :wow :wow :wow How wonderful that would be!!!!! :coffee Hmm. But on second thoughts, I would first have to start practicing how to do things in reverse.

Now the next calculation. Running one lap of an athletics track in reverse provides fitness equivalent of running 6 laps forwards and 100 steps backwards produces the same benefits as going 1000 steps forwards. So does walking backwards reverse all other effects of ageing in the same ratio - that is 10 years of ageing done away in 1 year of walking backwards? Well, I now have to start to unlearn what I have learned in all these years, the first of those being walking forwards - maybe my brain will also get younger by the day - now is that good, bad or what? [​IMG] Helllllppppp!!!! I am going crazy. I will also have to relearn my language - I cannot say "I suffered reverses" but "I gained some reverses" given that reverse walking/running helps me lose some undesirable gains and hence gain some losses in the bargain. And you can meet a newborn Satchi in another 5 years [​IMG]. And that brought one more thought to my mind: what if we start teaching babies to walk backwards instead of forwards from the word "go" or should we now say from the word "come back"? They get off to a running (backwards) start, so to speak. But where do they go from there? Into the ripe old years of last life? :spin

P.S. This theory reminds me of those scenes which have become so popular in Hindi soaps when someone's wedding is breaking up and there are these flashes of the saat pheras in reverse. So status "married" changes to "single" again. :crazy

1 person likes this.

2. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Now I seriously wish the time machine is available.....atleast take me back to the time I was a "50 kg Taj Mahal".......and no.......dont want it.........cannot teach babies to walk in reverse yaar !!

Gr8 reading and well....enjoyed it too much !!

3. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Now this reverse gear reminds me of the 'walking back' technique of Ruskin Bond. He did it for joy & for a difference in the mountains, on the winding roads enjoying the scenary the other way. But he never wrote about any weight loss!! He only wrote that the kofta curry and rice which he eats had only made him put on weight. Hm... now a thinking need to be given. nothing wrong in giving it a try if we can lose some weight (I badly require that:bonk):rotfl
    But now i added this to my big list of questions to Mr. Bond when i meet him in Mussorie.

Hey Satchi, wait. we will walktogether backwards, otherwise we will not be able to recognise each other. Pals, anyone joining us? ;-)

4. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,
    Your caption made me to rush to your post expecting some philosophical thoughts about life:)! Though I was disappointed a little, your wonderful write up analysis the point made my day !! You may wonder " How" ? Wait ! I will explain. I walked back in my memory and brought back the picture of 'Slim Padmini doing dancing, running , teasing the friends who were fat !!! I walked for one hour so I felt I have done enough walking to burn my calories. and make me ' Slimran "
    Whenever I think of doing exercise, this quote will come to my mind:
    I don't excercise. If God had wanted me to bend over, he would have put diamonds on the floor.”Moreover I feel If God Wanted Me to Touch My Toes,
    He Would Have Put Them on My Knees. Am I correct ?

with love
    pad

5. satchitananda

No time machine required dear, just run backwards. :rotfl

6. satchitananda

Mira, my only worry is that if we start walking backwards on the streets of India, we may soon land up competing with vehicles and other members of the public to occupy the same space at the same point in time. :biglaugh

7. satchitananda

Dear Padmini,

Sorry to have disappointed you on the philosophy score. Just that I need these occasional bouts of insanity to keep me sane. In order to achieve that goal, I take a mental walk, which is not necessarily forwards or backwards. Just keep it random to keep my balance (mental and physical). And of course, occasionally I do let myself loose on the unsuspecting readers. I apologize profusely for any trauma I may cause and do declare that it is purely unintentional.

Now I absolutely agree with your philosophy on exercise. Never a more logical and rational reasoning have I heard. :cheers

Thanks for the fb. :)

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

if the baby did the walk in reverse, she may grow younger, and younger, till she dissappears, back to the womb perhaps, and again another delivery for the mother ?:rotfl

And if lose wieght and fat in 120 weeks, then u would be a case of skin and bones, yr skelteton dancing literally in yr skin ?HAHA

And listen Satchi, i have been here 4 years now, i am the one who writes blogs on newspapers reports, i have a copyright not a patent, so send me yr address, so i can send u the court notice :rotflHow dare u steal my ideas, and my fans, now they are all flocking to yr space, leaving me all alone eh !

superb one, u are the undisputed queen of posts here, what class humour, i think, u must be laughing the whole day, and burning calories when u werite or think of blogs eh , and read the equally funny comments that come in.

So i forgive u, for the blog is worth the court notice, which i will prostpone for teh time being, for even i could not have written half a funny blog as u ahve done.

Did u read about that policeman today, in TOI, who tried to commit suicide, but the rope broke for he was too fat, andlanded on his ass and bruised himself ?:rotflCobnclusion is, fat is good, at times like this it protects yr life u see.HAHA

Regards

kamal

9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Satchi dear good post. As Kamalji says you are rocking now in snippets with your humorous posts.

Good I need not walk backwards, because after sixty only I am trying to put on weight. Only thing I should not put too much weight.

10. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hahaha satchi that was a good one.:thumbsup especially the black and white scenes of taking the saath pheras back wards. it always amused me.But i have really seen a baby vigorously crawl backwards and it was so hilarious and cute.:)