1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Zeroing in..

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sriniketan, May 9, 2011.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha...I am not here to discuss about the zeroing in on Bin Laden by Navy SEALS..just came here to spill my thoughts on zero. shakehead

Wondering all of a sudden and that too why to the number zero..

I was watching this add for many months and still it confuses me what 0 does in there.

It is an ad. for senior insurance...where they point out that if you are under the age of 0-80 you are qualified for this...what do you mean by 'zero age'?

Similar to this I also see in the diaper covers...from age 0-infant...wondering what 0 does in here? :confused2:

I still couldn't find the relation of 0 to age..but found other interesting terms on the usuage of zero, even though it has no value..as it is..

It is always used in the negative tone...like zero tolerance, zero lending policy, zero gravity, and the like. :-(

Came to know that..
    Thanks to wikipedia for these quotes.

Zero also means wholesome...which means, it ends from the place where it started.:exactly:

We always hear that zero has no value unless a number is added to it as a prefix...very true to that fact, we can see that either prefixes or the suffices add meaning to the term zero...isn't it!:yes:

Now I am zeroing in (coming to a conclusion) that, sometimes, we consider ourselves, 'useless' as a zero and think we are of no value to anybody around us...but think about the characteristic of this zero...it adopts according to the situation and adds value to itself.. likewise, if we change our perception and be the change we want to be in the society, we would not be a zero but a hero/shero...in our lifetime.Chillout!:thumbsup

What do you say! :)

Sriniketan

2. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

The value of Zeroes!!!- wow, food for thought

Yes, the various terms used in relation to Zero are interesting and thinking how they evolved.

One thing for sure - the number of zeroes after a digit in bank balance will decide the number of people around us :)

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear srini, when i saw the title of the thread, I was not sure where you were going - zero days of working out, zero dress size:spin and was only surprised that you were actually talking about Zero!! I don't know why and I cannot explain right now, but this Sanskrit shloka came to my mind when I read your thread!!

"Om Poornamadah Poornamidam Poornat Poornamudachyate,
    Poornasya Poornamaadaya Poornamevavashishyate,
    Om Shantih, Shantih, Shantih"

Meaning: The literal meaning of this mantra is: "That is Absolute, This is Absolute, Absolute arises out of Absolute, If Absolute is taken away from Absolute, Absolute remains OM Peace, Peace, Peace".

Makes me wonder if I have associated zero with completeness and absoluteness......I need to do some thinking about this.

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Wow Sri. Heavy philosophy of mathematics going on here. Need time to sit and mull over it. Thanks a lot for the food for thought.

Fantastic. Very well said.:thumbsup

Sabitha, logical conclusion. :cheers

5. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi Bhargavi,

Great post da.
    From the kuttys' angle, a `zero' would invite a comment `ayyiye' - markey vaangalai.
    But then here you are, sharing great thoughts on zero and I loved

" Now I am zeroing in (coming to a conclusion) that, sometimes, we consider ourselves, 'useless' as a zero and think we are of no value to anybody around us...but think about the characteristic of this zero...it adopts according to the situation and adds value to itself.. likewise, if we change our perception and be the change we want to be in the society, we would not be a zero but a hero/shero...in our lifetime.Chillout!:thumbsup

Thanks a lot for this good read dear.

6. Sriniketan

Pavithra...very true...good philosophy indeed..:) didn't think about this while doing this post...

sriniketan

7. Sriniketan

Sabitha,
    both of them is not possible for me...the former is thrusted and the latter..no way.. :-(...that's why I didn't include it in the discussion ..haha...
    The Sanskrit sloka shows the other side of zero isn't it..fullness, wholeness, completeness, absoluteness...poornam..
    Long time back, there was this cassette which chants this sloka repeatedly, to aid in meditation I suppose...very powerful meaning indeed!
    This shows how you see things differently and positively..:thumbsup

sriniketan

8. Sriniketan

Satchi,
    Philosophy and math...they do have similarities...na.

First time, when we go through it, we couldn't get what it is all about...but later on, if interested..we get to know both of them better..isn't it! :)

sriniketan

9. Sriniketan

Soldier,
    Kozhi muttai nyabagathirkku vandhadhu..:biglaugh: glad to know that you enjoyed my zeroing in...:)

sriniketan

10. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    A wonderful post !! When I go through your post, I remember the song " Poojjiyaththukkulle oru rajjiyaththai andugondu, puriyamale iruppan oruvan, andha oruvandhan nam iraivan !!:)
    Zero is an important concept indeed.

It is this zero that gives the concept of {1} and {-1} meaning.

Zero is as much a positive idea as a negative one. It is the starting point of all ideas.
    It is the void from which all sprouts forth and all eventually returns. It is beginning and end it is God and nothingness it is the great mystery.

Zero is the focal point for all reality, the center of the event horizon, the essence of all being, the underlying fabric upon which numerical reality is spread across to give consciousness a purpose.
    It is a mathematical concept representing an unimaginable reality.

with love
    pad