1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A mother's perspective!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, May 5, 2011.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I am a procrastinator in a way, I think - I do things only when I 'feel' good about them not just because I want to (different from have to, though!!). Anyways, for years I have tried to understand, inculcate and now, in the process of introducing my kids to that old saying "Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today and what you can do today, do it now!" -Thomas Jefferson I believe.

My DD who is 4 yrs old always always on her ride back from school asks me to do something or the other with her. I absently, mostly have always told her, "we can do that tomorrow", till she figured out one day and said "mom, today is already tomorrow" - from yesterday's (conversation) perspective! I had to ofcourse pause, appreciate and learn to do things with her - that day, from then on! Now it is a habit with her to say "today is already tomorrow" - to my kind of mindset and thinking, it is a joy to hear that and I am sure she understands what she is saying in her own way!

My 8 yr old DS on the other hand is contemplative about things around him and his latest observation on a ride (again!) was "Why do people think there is actually a sky, when it is nothing but empty space out there and the blue color is because of the reflection of sun light" - no seriuosly I am not making it up, these were his exact words. He has always amazed us with his thinking and questions, be it making statements like "I can see wind - you know there is wind when leaves move or if there is gravity and everything falls towards earth, how come clouds don't come down etc. (I have written I am sure about all this a few years ago in snippets!) But when it comes to his little sister, he can be the naughtiest older brother - teasing her, sometimes teaching her mischevious stuff on purpose, fighting with her, playing with her, adoring her etc. One time their dad got them candy, gave him first and with out even thinking, he just ate it while his sister went and asked if he wanted more. When I asked him as to why he didn't ask to share, he said he was thinking about something else (I believe him, really!!) and when I asked her how come she shared even though anna did not ask her, she simply said "because I want to be nice!" It never ceases to amaze me how different they are, yet how similar in many many ways.

Why am I writing all this? Oh it is because Mother's day is coming up and every one is busy celebrating mothers - either by having some plans or by saying they do not believe in all these special 'Hallmark' holidays - either ways we are thinking of mothers you see! I am also lucky to have been blessed with a wonderful mom and grand moms, and known others as well. However, looking at my children, I feel how lucky I am to be blessed with children, for the chance to be a mother. My world is so different now - I am learning a lot, more than I ever did in school or college. I have learnt to appreciate little things in life and most of all, I am learning to look at the world with true amazement, wonder and joy - fortunately, both as a mother and a teacher!

So on Mother's day while I think of all the moms fondly and nod my head to the saying "God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers", I am also grateful for all the children in this world who bring out that mother in all of us every day -as teachers, fathers, friends, aunts, uncles - simply just as human beings!

Trying not be a procrastinator, trying to be true to what I said in the beginning of the thread, I am going ahead and posting this snippet without waiting till Mother's day or is it simply because I 'feel' good about it? :)

1 person likes this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabita

Yes Sabita I always like to give the first fb and I dont want to wait till tomorrow to give fb.

What a wonderful thread written for Mother's day. True we can learn so much from children, just sometime back wrote fb to another thread about how children are now a days and now your thread.

Glad to know about your daughter and son, they are so different, each showing their love in their own way. Ya when children ask us questions sometimes we dont know what to tell them. They watch our words and next time something happens question us only. They are very smart and as I always tell the children of today learn from the womb because their mothers are smarter than yesterday's mother.

My hugs and kisses to your son and daughter and their mother too.

Now I am nominating this for finest post

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sabitha,

another winner from you.:cheers I cannot stop being amazed at children and their innate wisdom, unfailing logic and the way they come up with the most unexpected gems at the uncanniest of moments.

I just read another snippet by Adismom and it was also very heartwarming. It's really wonderful being around children and watching them grow. It is a second growing up for the parents and other adults around them.

All the best to you and to your kids and Happy Mothers' Day to you too.:thumbsup

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you Viji aunty - for the lovely words, warm hugs and kisses and for the nomination!! I am over whelmed with your very sweet words!! Thank you :)

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you Satchi!!
    I cannot agree with you more!! I will be sure to read adismom's post too...soon!! It indeed is a second growing up for all adults!!

All the best to you and to your kids and Happy Mothers' Day to you too.:thumbsup Thank you again Satchi - you are always there cheering :)

6. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Oh Sabitha, you are a very beautiful woman on the inside. Only a soul so beautiful as yours can see life's many imperceptible blessings with such clarity. The many intangible gifts in life that you take joy in and show appreciation for, most of us take for granted.

From what you have said, your children sound totally adorable and I can see why you feel blessed to have them but I think they cashed in a lot of 'karma' chips to get you as their mom too. Happy advanced Mothers Day Sabitha!

7. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Hi Srama,

Children are way above us now-a-days!! A nice post on mothers...I like it!!

Thanks for bringing the importance of mother...and Wish you a very special mothers day in advance!

8. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Sabitha dear,

A nice write up!!!I really enjoyed..These kids always amuses one or the other way..oh kids of questions they are!!

My world is so different now - I am learning a lot, more than I ever did in school or college. I have learnt to appreciate little things in life and most of all, I am learning to look at the world with true amazement, wonder and joy - fortunately, both as a mother and a teacher!

Yes Yes I too feel the same....:cheers

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Meena, I really have no words other than to say thank you thank you thank you for such a warm response!! It is making me 'glow' on the outside too, now ;-)

Thank you dear friend and a Happy mother's day to you too!!

10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you Malar for your response - I am only delighted to see the world from kids' perspective! Wish you a Happy mother's day too!!