1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Salute the ordinary!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, May 2, 2011.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

"I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker" - Helen Keller

Who among us does not relate to this need of wanting to achieve? Who among us has not wondered about all those people who achieve incredible things?

I have wondered often about all those go getters, super achievers. I have often marveled at the wonders of a space shuttle, the marvels of science, the marvel of life itself! Of late, I have also been wondering about the ordinary in day to day to day life. Really!! It is so easy to often miss that lovely home we come to, that mom who makes sure everyone in the family has food, clean clothes, comfortable bed, warm hugs! We often over look the help of that maid, that grocery store clerk who bags with such cheer, that driver who made way for you - sometimes we are so warped in our day to day activities we rarely pause, heck sometimes we even overlook the beauty of the Sun who is shining and giving us a wonderful day!! We tend to take a lot of things for granted, we tend to get used that spouse's love, that parent's joy, that friend, that co worker - maybe just because they are there every day waiting for us, providing us the comfort, the routine, the push, the joy that we are so used to!

What Helen Keller says rings a bell with me, today! It is not the impossible tasks that happen every day, but it is also the small little deeds that we do for ourselves and others; what others do simply by doing the best of what they can, that matters! Probably this is what the masters mean when they ask us to live in a constant state of gratitude - now I understand the meaning of that! The world wouldn't be such a beautiful place if each one was not doing their part! Little drops of water does make a mighty ocean. So today, let us pause; salute the ordinary, the humble, the routine, the normal, that every person and deed that is propelling us forward!

1 person likes this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Rightly said Srama I also think we should pause a minute and admire the morning sun, the children whose talks sometimes surprise us. So many things are there I will come back later. Especially thank the people who bring a smile on our face.

We should live life to express not to impress, should not strive to make our presence felt and just make our absence felt.

1 person likes this.
  3. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Wonderfully said Saby!
    And I'll say it again - I'm a fan of your articles.

You have given us plenty to think about in the above writeup. Thank you!

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

I am following your footsteps Sabitha...thinking and thanking about each and every person or the atmosphere which make us feel what we are experiencing day to day.

I was originally reminded of the 'squirrel's part in building the bridge of stone to Lanka during the Rama and Ravana days, where it got appreciated and got a pat from Lord Rama himself, resulting the 3 lines on its back, till now.

Salute the ordinary..:bowdown

sriniketan

5. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Yet another lovely, lovely post from you Sabitha. Yes, I join you today in saluting the many, many unsung heroes of my life; those that I take for granted almost all the time. Believe me, this is a huge list :) but today, I want to thank the one that I take for granted the most.

My husband - One Saturday not too long ago, I was busy with a few things and had asked him to go to the grocery store to pick up milk, vegetables and stuff for the following week. As I was aware of my messed-up memory, I took the time to even make a detailed list for him. Off he went armed with my list and came back a couple of hours later with a sagging van that was screaming to be relieved. I felt grateful enough to make him a cup of coffee only to find out that I was scraping the bottom of the Sugar barrel. 'Oops', said I, with my famous sheepish grin and off went my DH to the store to pick up a box of sugar without as much as a frown on his face. If the shoes were reversed, I probably would have torched him with my third eye but that is just me. How did I ever get so lucky? May be, like Natalie says on 'Monk', I cashed in a lot of my Karma chips, who knows!

Keep dazzling us with your posts, Sabitha. :)

6. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Sabitha,

Yet another thoughtful post from you.:thumbsup Like Sri, I too reminded of the squirrel's part.

I should thank my mom, whom i always take for granted

7. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sabitha,
    A very sincere post with apt msg.I feel my mom is more generous in saluting the ordinary than me.I always observe her but when I was young I always felt its part of her chores.At this age I really recognize the value of it & how she left an impression to ordinary people she met in life.Though Im not far from her but still her achievement remains unreachable for me:bonk
    I like the helen keller quotes.

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rama,

Well said.

Everyone of us has a part to play.Take blogging for instance.Even when the writer writes a good piece, it is not complete if others dont read it, so readers are important, as also the commentators.

K elly is one here, she does not blog, but she posts FB's , she is doing a great job too. Tendulkar is important, so are the spectators, Gurus is important so are the listeners. If u have an empty hall, what will the guru do ? He will be disheartnened and go away, he cant opreach an empty hall can he ?

If we dont have maids life is hell, eveyone one is important, and yes, we need to thank the lord for everything he has given us.We need not be super acheivers, but we too ahve a role to play.

Mukesh Ambani cannot do with out his secretary, or his peon, or the sweeper who cleans his bathroom, or his driver, and so on.All are important.

Thanks for a wonderful post Rama.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  9. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Well said Kamalji.

Sad thing is while some of us acknowledge it - in reality, they may not all be treated right every time.

10. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

What a thought provoking post Sabitha.

Just this morning, I was overwhelmed by so many things I have to do , and many small thoughts bothering my mind.

Reading your post made me feel better

A cup of coffee and my day would go zoommm :)