1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

God and the Tea cup!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by navs23, Apr 27, 2011.

1. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

There was a couple who took a trip to England to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary. While there, they shopped in a beautiful antique store; they both liked antiques and pottery, and especially teacups. Spotting an exceptional cup, they asked, 'May we see that? We've never seen a cup quite so beautiful.'
    As the lady handed it to them, suddenly the teacup spoke, 'You don't understand. I have not always been a t eacup. There was a time when I was just a lump of red clay. My Master took me and rolled me pounded and patted me over and over and I yelled out, 'Don't do that.' 'I don't like it! Let me alone.' But He only smiled, and gently said, 'Not yet!'
    'Then WHAM! I was placed on a spinning wheel and suddenly I was spun around and around and around. 'Stop it! I'm getting so dizzy! I'm going to be sick!' I screamed. But the Master only nodded and said, quietly, 'Not yet.' He spun me and poked and prodded and bent me out of shape to suit Himself and then He put me in the oven. I never felt such heat. I yelled and knocked and pounded at the door. 'Help! Get me out of here!' I could see Him through the opening and I could read His lips as he shook His head from side to side, saying, 'Not yet.'
    'When I thought I couldn't bear it another minute, the door opened. He carefully took me out and put me on the shelf, and I began to cool. Oh, that felt so good! 'Ah, this is much better,' I thought. But, after I cooled, He picked me up and brushed and painted me all over. The fumes were horrible. I thought I would gag. 'Oh, please, Stop it, Stop, I cried.' He only shook his head and said, 'Not yet!'
    Then suddenly He put me back into the oven. Only it was not like the first one. This was twice as hot and I just knew that I would suffocate. I begged. I pleaded. I screamed. I cried. I was convinced I would never make it. I was ready to give up. Just then the door opened and He took me out and again placed me on the shelf, where I cooled and waited and waited, wondering 'What's He going to do to me next?'
    'An hour later He handed me a mirror and said, 'Look at yourself.' And I did. I said, 'That's not me; that couldn't be me. It's beautiful. I'm beautiful!!!'
    Quietly He spoke: 'I want you to remember,' He said, 'I know it hurt to be rolled and pounded and patted, but had I just left you alone, you'd have dried up. I know it made you dizzy to spin around on the wheel, but if I had stopped, you would have crumbled. I know it hurt and it was hot and disagreeable in the oven, but if I hadn't put you there, you would have cracked. I know the fumes were bad when I brushed and painted you all over, but if I hadn't done that, you never would have hardened. You would not have had any color in your life. If I hadn't put you back in that second oven, you wouldn't have survived for long because the hardness would not have held. Now you are a finished product. Now you are what I had in mind when I first began with you.'

Had the piece of clay known it's fate, would it have suffered less through the making? Would the image of the beautiful cup helped it go through the process with a much better attitude? It is the uncertainty in life that makes one anxious and nervous and cry out in pain. But, with a little glimpse of the outcome, the light at the end of the tunnel, the painful suffering will only make one more enduring and strong.

Why did the potter not tell the piece of clay about the end result,so that the tea cup could have rather enjoyed it's making than suffer through it? The potter expects some amount of trust from the piece of clay, once it is in his hands. This piece might have been lying there for some time but once it got into the hands of the potter, there is nothing more to worry about. No matter how much it hurts when he pulls in all directions and how much painful the process is, the Potter knows what he is doing, so a little amount of trust, trust which had come without even seeing the beautiful end product, blind trust which had come just by being in the hands of the potter, would have made it enjoy it's transformation.

Why does the Potter make the piece of clay go through in numerous sufferings while there are still others who have become beautiful tea cups without going through any of these? No cup is made without going through the entire process, it is simply not possible. But, how different pieces react to the same conditions/tests such as heat or fumes, differs from clay to clay.

There is one set of clay which thinks that the Potter is out there to torture and destroy them and go through the entire process screaming all the way only to stop until they see their beautiful reflection on the mirror. They are pretty exhausted by the time they become the cup and have very less energy to appreciate their beauty.

The other set of clay are confused and come into the hands of the potter with a little trust but lot of apprehension and scream now and then during the process, but endure it a little bit as well. When they see the beautiful reflection on the mirror, they are taken by surprise and their trust in the potter increases hundred fold.

The last set of clay are the so called 'trusters', those with unflinching trust and confidence on the potter. They are anxious, tense, confused when they are waiting, but the moment they get into the potter's hands, rest at ease and let the potter take control. They totally surrender to the Potter's will and let him twist and tweak as he pleases. They go through all the painful process, only with the endurance and faith. It is these pieces of clay that come out of the potter's hands as the 'most beautiful' cups ever made, due to their unfailing trust and cooperation with the Potter inspite of the terrible pain.

Wont it be splendid if all of us became 'the beautiful cup' at the end of it, right now, right this minute, ending the so long wait? But, isn't there just one potter out there busy molding one piece of clay at a time amongst the million others still in the line? The potter always has his eyes on all the million pieces of clay and yet one has to wait to get into his hands for the special molding. So, let's wait our turn and some day, this amazing potter, the Great God, will pick us up and make us one of the most beautiful cups there ever is and all he needs is a little bit of trust and cooperation from us.

"When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile".

2. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Re: God - The Potter Story

Wow, nice one for thought and well written

3. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for the first fb Tamil, this story always keeps me going when I feel down :bowdown

4. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Agree Navs/ When there are difficult times in life, thinking of the bigger picture, helps to overcome the situation with confidence

Thank you for providing us with such write up

5. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you Tamil, so glad to know you liked it :)

Beautiful words. "When there are difficult times in life, thinking of the bigger picture, helps to overcome the situation with confidence :thumbsup

6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Navs,

Beautiful story. It is such an apt parallel to our lives. Why did not the potter tell the clay what and why he was doing? Would it have reduced his agony? I don't think so. Even the trusters went through the same agony with only one difference - they knew what was coming and endured it. I am sure that did not in any way reduce the physical agony, but yes maybe the mental agony would have been much less.

We are all pieces of clay in the hands of the divine potter. We need to trust that all the agonies we are put through will only make us stronger, better and tougher people while also making us more sensitive to other people's problems.

It is really strange, because this was just what a friend and I were discussing for a long time last evening.

7. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Satchi,
    Thank you for the wonderful comments!
    Very beautifully summarized, thank you :thumbsup.
    Wow, what a coincidence :bowdown. I came across this story some time back and was wondering what the Potter's version would have been, something more of a reply to the Tea cup's version. All the while, the Potter only says 'Not yet' and nothing more keeping the Tea cup in suspense till the end. But, the Potter does not really have to say anything, he knows what he is doing!
    Very thoughtful lines:
    We need to trust that all the agonies we are put through will only make us stronger, better and tougher people while also making us more sensitive to other people's problems.

So true, problems not only make us stronger, it makes us more understanding, empathetic and sensitive to other people's problems. I remember a saying here, 'Be kinder than necessary for every man is fighting his own battle'

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Navs,
    A very good moral story, with excellent narration, comparing different stages of people to the clay and the Potter to the Almighty.
    Nominating it to the FP's finest narration..for May.

sriniketan

9. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for the wonderful feedback Sriniketan :)
    Thank you very much for the nomination, I feel honored. Thank you :bowdown

10. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hi navs23

wonderful post, thanks for sharing with us. Very well expressed using the metaphor of tea cups with our life.

Indeed it is true, the people who have trust and faith, and who have more endurance, comes out as an winner and wiser.