1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Oh God, will it ever come from the horse’s mouth??

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Chitvish, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Why has God surrounded me with Brahmarishis???

Friends, I am sure you are all wondering, if I am something more than a mere mortal, a rishi etc??!! No, read below, to understand what I am talking about.

In Tamil, there is a saying
    Vasishtar vaayaal brahmarishi!

The proverb "Vasishtar Vaayal Brahma Rishi" is translated as Sage Vasishta bestowing the title of 'Brahma Rishi' to some junior rishi. Sage Vasishta was a strict sage and very parsimonious in giving appreciation. If he calls someone 'Brahma Rishi', it is a huge honour.

In English, the closest equivalent is
    “Coming from the horse’s mouth”!

I have 3 generation of vasishtars!! I don’t want to call them horses, please!! Two vasishtars of the middle generation who are pals & I wonder if they are conspiring against me! L

Now, let me go on to the Vasishtars!

My amma was such a strict disciplinarian and never believed in “wasting” compliments. Once when appa complimented me on my bisibela, amma replied “this is exactly how I make & she learnt it only from me”!!
    In the dining table, I & my sister will exchange meaningful glances at each other, compulsively! I mean, our glances will convey one’s appreciation to the other!!

But, I have to admit, before she passed away, I went to Madurai in October to spend a few days with her. Every day she would insist I cook something for her specially and used to enjoy the same, appreciating me whole heartedly. So, one wish was fulfilled!!

Skipping two of the next generation, I switch over to Ruby, my daughter. There cannot be a worse miser than her in appreciating me!! Not one dish receives a nod from her! I have almost given up.

BUT
    Last week, I made a new dessert with my own imagination. My younger GD Manas has come back after post-graduating from abroad. There was a family gathering & so, I called the dessert ‘madhur-milan’. God was kind to me, Ruby was kinder & said, ‘this dish is superb, amma’!! How I thanked God!! God must have been at His wit’s end, why I was non-stop thanking him that particular evening.

Before I go on to the last two Vasishtars, I must mention about my son Kumar & DIL, Chitru.

Chitru is very forthcoming with her views & can never resist calling a spade, a spade – good or bad!! If the dish is really good, she will lavish compliments~! One day I asked Kumar, why he never comments. He clearly told me, “there is only one spokesperson in my house”!! I had a good laugh at his comment & patted myself on my back that I had brought up my son without realizing that he was such good ‘husband-material’!!(now, don’t search wiki for the meanings of my self-coined terms!)

But you may wonder who the other two Vasishtars are? My Pati Vish, of course and our bearded in-house (I mean IL) guruji, his great buddy!! Never, not once, have they passed an appreciative comment!!

Do they think, it is below their dignity?

Do they think, I have a long way to go, still?

Do they think, I will hit the roof with a compliment??

Of course, I ask for Vish’s comment, every time I try something new – he is my formal taster. I post a recipe only oif he approves.

But no spontaneous comments, ever!! Now I assess thus. I keep in one particular cupboard, cookies, biscuits, snacks etc & desserts in individual servings in the fridge.
    If the number progressively decreases I know he likes it. If it is just lying there for me to finish it, well, I know too!!

I have sent goodies to our in-house Vasishtar so many times! His mother would spontaneously hug me & appreciate me! But why were not such endearing qualities passed on to her son?? Oops, only the appreciating part, not the “other” part!! It is a blooper, call it a faux pas!!

Well, I think, I have given sufficient hints. More is below my self-dignity!

Please pray for me, friends – I want to exit with no regret!!

2. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

Nice snippet dear C.As I already mentioned in your thread,I have been seeing 2 vashishtars.one is my father and the other is my pati,needless to say.I would use your technique of seeing the food and his facial expression while eating.Why cant men be open?:spin

3. kAlyaniShAnti

kAlyaniShAnti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra Mam,

Had a good laugh in the morning!

My Mom is one of this kind. Whatever it is, be it food prepared by me or a gift for her, (well, I am [​IMG]...), I have to read those muscles on her face to get to know what is going on in her mind! There is only a few ocassions when I got a visible [​IMG] from her !

[​IMG]

So, at the end of the day it is Vasishtar's mouth and those taste buds only who give the final nod :)

Very enjoyable post as usual, Mam

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Chitra Ma'am,

Another hilarious post from you. I have "n" number of such Vashishtars around me. Strangely they are all the female versions, starting from my mother, my sister and the list continues. The male versions have always been more considerate - my dad, dh, fil - all have been very appreciative of what is laid out on their plates. Of late my mom is more appreciative. But my sister just gives a grunt and as you said, only the fate of the food laid out has to indicate how it has gone down with her.:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

5. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Dear Chitra ma,

That was an excellent post that made me nod my head at many of the places. I have two Vashistars ...my FIL and my DH who never open their mouth. But my kid Krishiv (3+ years) always pour in for every dish I make "mummy...super ah iruku..."
    "mummy..enaku innum venum...ammaya (arumaiya) irukku..."...

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chitra,

Well i can vouch for trhe fact that u make great food, so here is the first compliment from me, for i have eaten at yr place, along with Cheeniya.:rotfl

i am miserly wehre food compliments are concerned.i never say anything when i eat food.

i eat veg in teh afternoons and nonveg in the night, regularly.
    Veg i dontlike, so the best of the dish, i just eat out of duty, i dont crib, neither i praise.

nonveg, i love, so even if cooked badly or burnt, i dont crib, so see i dont crib at all, but not rraise too. i tell harsha, that the day food is not good i will talk, when i dont say anything it means all is well.:biglaugh

Regards

kamal

7. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Dear chitra aunty:)

Yet another nice thread....:rotfl

My dh and ds do appreciate if the dish i cook does impress them....and if they dont like it...they both just look at each other with a hidden smile and start eating without any comment....

Even if i try my maximum best to resist myself from asking....i sometimes blurt "how is it...good or bad?" Again they both look at each other and say together...."mmmmmm....ok". That makes me feel sometimes...that i should not have asked for comments if they are having food without commenting.
    My dd does not join this game at all....:idea

8. Chitvish

Thanks for the first b, my dear CM.
    Yes, I remember!!
    I think the only soution is, punishing all Patis with badly cooked food every day so that, when we cook well, they will spontaneously comment, "Oh, so good today"!!
    Not that we will ever do it because we have to eat the same food!:hide:
    Men's EGO perhaps stands on the way in declaring openly!!:rant

9. Chitvish

Dear KS,
    I presume you are single & pray God bless you with an appreciative spouse!!
    To wait for a vertical nod for, from the person(s) to whom you serve food, is the most natural expectation. I think, men knowingly keep dumb. But don't be shocked, if after you get married, he comments, " Oh, my amma used to make this dish so well!!
    Believe me, he might have never openly appreciated his mother!!This is a teaser directly aimed at you, clearly!!:bonk
    All men do it, hopefully not my dear, dear son!! Because my DIL has never complained.:hide:

Why not call me, just Dear C????

10. Chitvish

Dear Satchi,
    Shocking that the world is made up of only Vasishtars - both male & female versions!
    I have heard my MIL (A palghat tambram), comment
    Nanna irukkunu chonnal, "kandu poyidum"!!
    Ugh!!

As if, we do not know what our cooking standard is!
    This has made me feel, acknowledging, appreciating are all finer qualities, we have to compulsorily develop for making ourselves very pleasant to interact with!!

Satchi, I suddenly feel, the in-house vasishtar will come down "heavily" on all of us, ladies, with his "bonanza comment"!! He will defend his tribe choicelessly!:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh