1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby talk

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Apr 25, 2011.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

[JUSTIFY]Today I am in a mood for baby talk. Kantha has just turned a grandmother [​IMG] and is over the moon. And guess what, it is not just her, but all her friends who are just as excited [​IMG] as her at the news. For the past few months, barely a day has gone by on CM, when there was no talk of the impending arrival of the baby, and inquiries about the health of the mother-to-be. That is the wonderful bond that binds people from different corners of the world on IL.

Does it strike you as strange that there is so much excitement all around? I don't find it strange at all. All (or to be on the safer side I shall say almost all) human beings and even animals are attracted towards babies and feel very protective towards them. Have you ever wondered why it is that all babies - whether they be monkeys, donkeys, elephants, calves, chicks, pups or kittens - are so much more attractive than the adults of their species? It is their little baby proportions, their soft skin, the wide, innocent eyes, the mischief twinkling in them when they laugh, the naughtiness when they get up to pranks and then turn to look round to see if anyone is watching or if anyone is going to stop them that is so charming and endearing at the same time. It is also very attractive to watch the way they gambol, frisk or toddle around (gravity certainly works strangely on these little critters).

As long as they are infants, their very helplessness is heart-breaking. This automatically brings out our protective instinct. The same holds true for animals. Have you noticed how they protect not only their own young, but also in those amazing cases that get reported from time to time, the young ones of other species, adopting them as their own. It is an amazing God given instinct that gives them the sense not to hurt something so tiny. I remember the time my sister brought my niece home and the neighbour's Alsatian dog came loping along and then got all curious at this bundle she was holding in her hand. Much to the terror of my sister (which in hindsight was totally uncalled for) he came along, jumped on his hind legs, stood a way off, peered at the baby, and having at the same time satisfied his curiosity as well as paid his social visit (polite doggy, could teach human beings a thing or two) got down quietly and went off. All of us were completely amazed at this sight.

As they grow into babyhood, the gurgling, cooing and belly-laughter hold us spell-bound and bring out strange responses in us. How many times have we looked at a laughing baby, burst out laughing at it's laughter and then the baby looks at us and laughs more and this cycle goes on endlessly? The gurgling and cooing are music to the ears. The moment they start crying, it makes us desperate to stop them any which way we can and makes us cry if they don't. Their innocence and helplessness is our biggest vulnerability. But hold on, those babies are certainly not dumb. They sense our weaknesses and are smart enough to wrap us around their little fingers (which we are more than willing to let them do) and get their own way. (Who is smart and who is dumb here I ask myself [​IMG]). But then aren't we all suckers for babies?

Come toddler age and they are all over the house keeping everyone around on their feet all day long and also on their heads, hands, knees and every other part of their anatomy to keep the little ones entertained. They are in the truest sense of the word "little emperors/empresses". The funny things they do, drive one up the wall at the same time as make one laugh (as I write this I have this vivid imagination of the person sitting up there in the company of spiders and laughing away :biglaugh). And then we heave a sigh and say "What do we do with them, what do we do without them".[​IMG]

A few months later as they step into childhood, their observation, picking up so many things and repeating what we say to them right back to us at the appropriate moment and situation leaves us short of words, gaping in astonishment, wonder and a silent pride at our little wonders. The things they say in public can leave us red with embarassment :oops:, while others have a good :rotfl and the kid gets away with it. "Children say the darndest things" sums it up precisely.

I can never stop being amazed and fascinated at the way their little minds work :eek:mg: . It is such a mystery how they pick up languages, how they sense our moods and respond to it in different ways (displaying such individuality in personalities), how they learn so many things in such a short time - it is nothing short of a marvel, a miracle. Is it not amusing as well as exasperating how they get up to mischief, knowing fully well that something is a strict tsk and then when scolded give a sweet grin and get away scot free?

Then as they step into school and start growing up, it is amazing to see how differently and originally they start thinking and how their minds work. If only we would let children be their original God created selves, and not try to make them all fit one mould, how wonderful the world would be.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but once I start off on babies, I can't stop myself.

More baby dust to the world![/JUSTIFY]

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

You made me misty eyed with this post, for i remember my two dotties, and now wanting to have grandchildren.

Yes , what more can i add to what u have already said, in such a wonderful way.the dog thing was damn touiching, they know this is a small baby an to be protected.

And yes with a baby in yr arm, u can forget the world, at least i can, and play with him/her, and tell them stories, myu whacky kind, or make faces at the little babies and when they laugh, it is sheer heaven.

and it is sad, when we want them to be super babies, what with tutions, homework, it breaks my ehart, we must let them be babies, natural and playful.

And some of the richest people in the world, are uneducated, the likes of Bill Gates, and Dhirubhai Ambani come to mind.

Super one Satchi, and let me rush to nominate this before te last day goes away.

Regards

kamal

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Oh Kamalji, I am so deeply touched. Thank you so much for the nomination. I fully agree with you when you say that you can forget the whole world when you are holding a baby. I remember when my niece was a baby. My sister and family were with us at that time. I had my 12th Std. exams round the corner and would be eternally stressed and grouchy and grumpy. My sister got fed up of me and one day said, "When this woman starts grumbling, just put the baby in her lap. That's the only time she smiles". Which was so true. Every morning we used to put her on the dining table (and believe me those were times when my mom did not have to shake me up and scream into my ears to get me out of bed - just the baby's cooing and gurgling would be wake-up call enough) and she would keep looking at the drumstick tree outside the kitchen window and keep making all gurgling and cooing sounds. Oh, nostalgia. How I wish those days could come back again.

4. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Satchi dear true babies bring happiness to everyone. When I was reading the post only I thought it will be nominated. I also second Kamalji for nomination. Congratulations for the post being nominated and all the best to receive the award.

I remember very much when my elder daughter was born after 3 years of waiting. We were staying in a chawl that time and my brother in law immediately gave the news to everyone there. They all were so happy to hear the news. My brother in law, two nephews of my dh and his niece never used to leave my daughter down. She was pampered a lot. I can go on and on about her childhood days.

I know how happy we were when we heard that Kantha has become grandmother as if we have become grandmother, in my case as if I have become great grandmother. Only feel sorry for Kantha that she could not be near her daughter at this time.

I am also very fond of babies and its nice to see them grow and watch each stages in their life. Especially till they are 5years old its nice to watch them.

I can relate to this more because I spent each and every moment with Gopika and miss her very much now.

You have narrated so well, enjoyed reading the post.

Sorry for the long post.

5. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,
    I have felt I was holding a baby when I was reading your post. Wonderful presentation !!!Congrats to Kantha on becoming Grand mother !!! That baby brought a breeze in the form of your post.
    A babe in the house is a well-spring of pleasure, a messenger of peace and love, a resting place for innocence on earth, a link between angels and men.

A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for. You made me to travel to my memory lane!!! Holding my kids then my grand kids

Sweet memories!!!Every child born into the world is a new thought of God, an ever fresh and radiant possibility.If one feels the need of something grand, something infinite, something that makes one feel aware of God, one need not go far to find it. I think that I see something deeper, more infinite, more eternal than the ocean in the expression of the eyes of a little baby when it wakes in the morning and coos or laughs because it sees the sun shining on its cradle.Thank you for the wonderful post
    with love
    pad

6. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchit,

Wow Wow...What an amazing narration that was. No wonder Kamalji rushed to nominate it.

I just love babies. Reading your post I feel like holding a baby now. When I feel low, I'd rush to my cousin's house to see his kid. She is my stress buster actually.

Loved your post dear :thumbsup :thumbsup

7. kanthaeikon

kanthaeikon Gold IL'ite

dear satchi

definitely my Sriya kutti will bring luck to u dear.
    and i thank Kamalji for nominating u.
    thanks for your blessings and I know how u are excited . wonderful narration dear.
    kantha sweet 16 patti

8. kanthaeikon

kanthaeikon Gold IL'ite

dear Pad mam
    thank u for your blessings Mam.
    kantha

9. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Satchi........I actually relived the age of a newborn baby/child myself !!

I gurgled, burped, gabbled and talked nonsense and then went to school and........

It is a super narration and all my wishes for your post !! Well done friend having the first reader and the second reader going right away from here to nominate your post !!

Kantha ma, god bless the little one for bringing so much JOY in INDUS today !!

10. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi Satchi!

Wonderful topic and well written post. I read it just now and thanks Kamalji isey nominate karne ke liye!

This is a topic I adore and you made me nostalgic of the days when I held by babies and caressed them.

I have not had many interactions with you since by the time I got introduced to you I have moved to a far off place on transfer and hence IL (verb form please :) )for a very lil time.

You know my son is 22 yrs old and my dd is in her II yr of college. Yet not a day passes without konjuying them now as well as reminiscing the terms, names, actions and what not that they did and enlightened us when they were kids. Given this thought, I would go crazy and you would all call me insane may be. I don't care. I still have a cute lil diary listing out the 60+ names I coined for my DS even within 1 month of his birth. I used to relate his activities to dolpin's movements. All his baby talk - we being palgat iyers, how he would link to our talk and speak new words when he was around 2 or 3.

Eg. if he asks for something I cook, I would say iru maa innum vegalai. After sometime, with all innocence, he will ask me amma athu vegiyaachaa? What a logical thinking I would wonder. Even now, that continues in him probably. If I ask him Harishaa dhosai vaakkatta? (If he is ready to have tiffin?). He will say " Vaakku Vaakku".

And one eg from my DD. When she was 3 yrs old that time she participated in SUN TV's Malarum Mottum - childrens' show for which she danced for the song Maadathiley Kannimaadathiley - wearing Iyer Saree - Madisaar (Meena and Rajnikanth in Veera - Meena also wears that). She would while singing, relate it to the visual and say (even on the mike) Eppi thooki poduvaa? (In one portion, Rajni would lift Meena and throw her on the Bed :rotfl

Not only me, even my DH, we can talk endlessly with infants of 3 - 6 months age too and they would respond in their own baby language!

Last year when I was in a temple attending Ayyappan Pooja, I was so much fascinated by a baby that not minding the crowd I stooped down on the floor to pamper the crawling lil one. And when I am in malls or supermarkets, if I miss from my husband's sight and they search for me, he would say engayaavathu kozhanthai pinnaala chuthindiruppa nanna poy thedu! This is how I go crazy of babes. Before I forget to mention, I wish to add that I used to enjoy, each stage of their growing up - their cycling and other kinetic activities from birth and during every stage. Why all this, I have enjoyed both the full term of pregnancies to the core and even used to chat with my kids when they were inside me and enjoy their responses.

Sorry I am afraid, I would snatch and steal others' space in trying to give my fb.

Thanks a lot for giving me a chance to talk on my favourite subject. I can hear so many bells ringing asking me to stop!