1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

90's and loving it!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sriniketan, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Yeah..this is the program we just watched some 1 1/2 hours ago, broadcast in the Public Television.

In this program, they showed people above 90 years, their activities now, their views about life, what do they do..and also their thought about death...very very interesting and very resourceful to people like me, who blame, what ever change happens in me...on age..:)

1.One person, drives the cab. A regular employee.
    2. World War veteran, who doesn't want to sit idle and who follows his passion on collecting metals.
    3. The other person jumps over a pole vault, breaking his own previous record.
    4. The other person plays piano, with his wife (he said this is on Youtube too)
    repairs bells and the like.
    5. The next person, formed a Jazz group which has people of his age to perform at clubs around noon.
    6. One lady does charitable works..like collecting and distributing things in her own yard.
    7. Next lady, earned a Masters at age 98.
    8. One lady walked all the way from California to Washington DC (from West to East coast) to protest against some signing of law by the Govt. She says, we have the right to protect our country at any age.
    9. Another lady, runs a bakery.
    10. Another woman active in politics...running for some post in the Govt. office.
    11. Another woman dictates her story in a recorder, edited, rewrites and publishes books.
    12. A country singer who says, even though he cannot sing like before, can make people sing along with him.
    13. One person who had no intention of marrying after first his wife died, married at his age of 93 to a 91 year old woman, who has lost her husband, and didn't have the intention of marrying too.. He says, romance starts at 90..:cheers

First and foremost overall opinion from them is..they don't count their age.
    Secondly..they continue their life with enthusiasm, humour, helping others in need, never lazy, but still know their age-limits, to keep up the memory, memorizing from the scriptures,.not to worry about everything, positive attitude in life and do exercise (what ever your body permits regularly)

All of them echoed the same on what and how are they going to accept death:

They are ready to accept it..
    We don't have any control over this certain happening. So don't think about that and waste this life, where it can be fruitfully utilised.
    Fearing death is like fearing life too..

I really :bowdown them for they instilled some thoughts into my brain to view the world from a different angle. The effect of watching this program can be seen from these words, which I was telling my dh, 'we don't know how long we are going to live, but if we lived up to this age, we should have our mind-set like them'..to which he, yeah..very true.(do you think he has anyother way to answer it :rotfl because he was also watching with me and my son :) )

I had raked my memory to its best to bring down most of the points from this wonderful program on the TV..if anything I left out...I am definitely going to blame it on my age.:hide: what to do friends, some habits die hard.:biglaugh

sriniketan

2. meenakshirajan

meenakshirajan Silver IL'ite

Very motivational, Srini. Thanks for sharing. Think i should read more of this kind so that i won't blame it on my age.
    Meenakshi

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Fabulous thread Sri. :hatsoff:hatsoff:hatsoff:hatsoff:hatsoff to these "oldy goldies". It really makes feel ashamed of one's limitations at half their age :hide:

Sri, this is something that I really admire in the Western culture. This is something we really need to think over and to adopt from the West. The attitude of "I'd like to die with my boots on" is something that is very admirable. There are many unnecessary things about the West that we mindlessly ape. Why not the more positive aspects?

In fact there are many reasons for this and an in depth analysis would be the subject for an entire thread or a blog.

P.S. Sri, I was scratching my head for a suitable topic for a blog and your thread reminded me of my analysis of our craving for old age at the ripe old age of 50. I thank you for reminding me of it, and I have written my take on the topic in a blog - link in my signature.

P.P.S. I have nominated the thread for FP.

4. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Awesome thread :thumbsup Thanks a lot for sharing it with us :cheers

5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Sri, when I was studying in an Italian university few years ago one of m y classmates was a sixty plus American who had retired as a paramedic and used his savings to travel to Italy and join the university to study Italian language! An average Indian of that age would probably think that he is on the brink of departure from this world and keep saying his prayers or what not! Even if at 90, he does something like joining a college, he would be the subject of jokes. here. You are only as old as you think you are.

6. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hello,

too good and really to think about it.

If we think we cannot do because of the age criteria, it will end up in negative result only. Now itself everybody should start saying i can i shall i will.

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Very interesting Sreeni..it is all in ones mind surely. I agree with Satchi here... this attitude you will surely see more in the US than say in India. having said that I admit that I would be too bored if I live up to 90.:biglaugh. for me it should be a short sweet life..

8. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Dear Srini,

The title attracted me very much...and oh God, what a thought provoking stuff inside...

You will not believe, I'm in later twenties now, and when I saw couple of grey hairs, I've lost..."Oh god...I'm becoming old..."

After that, when any one question me relating to the age, I say them "enaku vayasaiyiduchu pa...apadi thaan..."

I'm ashamed after reading this one...nice one. This program has shown us a new way and fact to accept (welcome) the old age...

Thanks a lot for sharing my dear teacher :)

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Bhargavi
    I loved this thread! I missed the program. But it is this fearless attitude and and living life to its fullest attitude is also something I admire in the West.

I also loved Satchi's response which hit the bull's eye - "There are many unnecessary things about the West that we mindlessly ape. Why not the more positive aspects?

Well I've been 30 for the last 6 years and my elder son is catching up fast; So next birthday I am notching it up by 2 years and am going to live like one. Thanks for the motivation Bhargavi!
    My last nominee for this month's finest post is you!

10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Srini, amazing just this morning my spinning instructor was explaining to me as to how she will work with me to get my knees stronger - this surprised me as subconciously I have accepted it is all going to be down hill from here (age wise) but here is a person, older than me ofocurse telling me I can be my best physically, ever and then here's your thread! It is all in the attitude isn't it?

Ofcourse living here long enough has opened my eyes to many aspects of the society and I have begun to appreciate it better.

One time when I told my colleague that I was worried about my mom staying in India alone as she was old, she asked me how old my mom was and when I mentioned her age, this colleague looked stariaght into my eyes and said that she feels offended that I think my mom is old because she (colleague) was a couple of years older than my mom!! Since then I have learnt to think otherwise!

I do have a neighbor who at the ripe age of 89 (oops sorry!!) has adopted a grand child who is 7yrs old with severe ADD. Now get this, his wife at 82 or older has many health conditions and cannot take a very good care of the child or even herself - I will have to start another thread to speak about the incidences. So this gentleman, works (to cover his wife's medical costs), brings the child everyday to school and takes care of every need of the child and his wife! Now, here is the icing on the cake, as I got to know him better, I come to know that this is second marriage and is just 4yrs old and that child is his wife's sister's grand child and whose parents have a bad history - more like the less said the better! So he chose to adopt her legally and provide as long as he could!

Middle age of course is not there till we reach between the ages of 50s and 60s I guess, retirement is to pursue unfilled wishes and 80s is to relax and enjoy great grand children. I am sure you will agree if I say that though emotionally we feel young at heart, physically we tend to believe it is downhill....until we meet all these incrdible people!!

Oops sorry for the very long reply....I do get carried away sometimes, don't I?