1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In Search of Time

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kkrish, Mar 26, 2011.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Satchi’s post “…efficient multitasker...” reminded me of this incident. Multitasker I definitely was and am, but whether the operative word “efficient” applies to me or not is a matter of constant speculation!:confused2:

It happened many years ago when I was a co-op student. With two active young sons packaged with demands of their own and an already busy multi role of chauffer, cook, house cleaner, launderer, home-work teacher, nurse, nutritionist, last-minute-rush-to-store-poster-board-buyer, and so on…… I had now added the roles of student-with-my-own-home-work and part-time-office-worker too.

I lived and breathed to-do lists using every time management tool I could lay my hands on! I would write down everything I had to do. Then I would separate them into priorities! Problem was there would always be a minimum of three to four items that were No. 1 priority!!! :bang

I was stretching myself to the max getting up at five am and going to bed close to eleven pm. Actually this was how I was most days! :drowning .Despite all these listing and prioritizing I invariably ended up moving two or three “to-dos” to the next day! :crazy

During one of our weekend trips to the library while the boys were engrossed in their favorite sections I wandered over to …yep, you got that right … the time management shelf! I spotted a book titled, “How to add one hour everyday”! How many days I have desperately yearned for that 25th hour! Here it was: liberation within hands reach!

You may all wonder how I could find time to read with all the things I had listed above. Every night just before switching off the bedside light, read I must! That was my night cap! I had a fixed schedule too. On Friday and Saturday nights I would read story books or light magazines.

From Sunday through Thursday nights I must read whatever heavy subject I was taking that semester. It was Economics or Philosophy or Psychology or Business Law, or…you get the drift. These were guaranteed to get me sleepy even before I was half page through! The more a subject made me think the faster it would induce sleep!:hide:

Coming back to my topic…talk of sleep and I go off into a dream world! Sleep seems to be so elusive these days!

After my family settled down and I was cozy in bed, I opened the book! The author went on about the importance of being organized and this and that. I was losing patience because till now I haven’t even had a glimpse of an extra minute leave alone a full hour!

Then finally about what seemed an eternity it was there. Reading the title I shut the book with a snap highly disappointed. Nothing more of what the author had to say mattered!

Thechapter read: “How to add an hour to your day: GET UP AN HOUR EARLY!” Duh! :rant
    The next day I returned the book!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

That made an interesting read Kamala. The lazy person that I am, I was expecting to read something like, "just drop a couple of activities, no matter what" and actually had to cover the last line so that I won't end up reading that first - you had built up a nice tempo!

At the rate you multitask, add teh suggestion of the author - you can soon end up giving sleeping altogether. How about that?

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

never mind kamala. at least you had a new learning experience. you learned how the authors of these self-improvement books make their money. :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

That made an interesting read Kamala.
    Thanks Sabitha for your first feedback!

The lazy person that I am,
    I don't think you are lazy at all! A person going to the gym in the wee hours of winter cannot be lazy at all!

I was expecting to read something like, "just drop a couple of activities, no matter what" and actually
    Actually you are right; I was younger then and ws rigid about doing everything; now a bit older and maybe a tad bit wiser in the process I have learnt to let go.
    Chores will always be there in some form or the other won't they?

had to cover the last line so that I won't end up reading that first - you had built up a nice tempo!
    I made some changes to the article. I thought it was too long winded- so shortened it a little... and removed the BOLD lettering so others will not have to cover the last line :). Hope it is okay now!

At the rate you multitask, add teh suggestion of the author - you can soon end up giving sleeping altogether. How about that?

You are right! Yes, that's was got me fed up - it was an eyeopener about these self-help books too! Anybody can write anything they want.

5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Satchi.
    There can be no truer words said.
    What I did not mention in my article (already it was long) is that it was last self-help book I read.
    Nowadays I read biographies on those who achieved/discovered/ and invented and made a tremendous change or contributed to society. There is a lot to learn from their experiences; their perseverance and grit; and above all appreciate life.
    My lists continue to be and I continue to carry over undone jobs...but I stopped fretting about it now.:)

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear kamala,

Hhaha that was a good one.:biglaugh. As if we needed him to say that.
    But you know , sometimes I sound very very smug and snobbish when I say that I don’t read much of these self improvement books but the real reason is most of us actually know what is got to be done ..it is all about putting them in practise which we have gotta do ourselves.:bonk

7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamala

We have had some mythological ladies who appeared to have halted the sun in its track to save their husbands from impending death. For them, managing time was just a simple matter of putting the sun in its place! This method of time management has gone into disuse long time back and that’s how the clan of time management experts took the center stage. Most of them blabber endlessly save the wise ones like Bertrand Russel who said ‘The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time’ and Carlyle of Kit & Carlyle comic strip who made the immortal statement ‘Naps are a way of travelling painlessly through time into the future’

As far as I am concerned, I find it far easier to let time manage me than trying to manage time. I always believe that if life offers you an easier alternative, just grab it! I want you to know that I am a great lover of self-improvement books for the same reason you have stated. Incurable insomniacs like me will swear by these books for a peaceful slumber. I know some hardcore insomniacs who even use them as pillows. Incidentally, I am always intrigued by the term ‘self improvement books’. For a layman like me, self improvement means the total absence of any external agency including these books in improving the self. I wonder how many of the 5 million people who bought Dale Carnegie’s ‘How to win friends and influence people’ had more friends than those who never laid their hands on this book! I know a famous Tamil writer who wrote on ‘How to live a hundred years’ but died in his early 50’s!

Coming to your author, I wonder why he recommended getting up one hour earlier instead of asking us to go to bed an hour later which is an easier option. If I get up early, I spend the extra time sipping my coffee more leisurely and flipping through all the 124 channels in my TV!

Sri

1 person likes this.
  8. kAlyaniShAnti

kAlyaniShAnti IL Hall of Fame

Easy reading, Kamala! The experience at the end you get is a life-time one!

I try to keep myself off from this money earning business of how-tos. But offlate a boy came over to my apartment, a poor boy on promoting service of some publishing company! And out of pity I landed up spending some 600 bucks for some 6 books - all how-to's... :drowning:rant

Well, that may be a "nice" gift pack for someone, who will try to find out occasion to gift it away! :biglaugh

9. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamala,
    This post, I hope does not "impress" you as a sermon!! :-(
    I strongly believe in time-management, effectively. Believe me, as you quoted from the book, it is only by getting up an hour early in the morning!!
    The day does stretch, as though!! :coffee
    If anybody gives an excuse as "no time", it "irritates" me, no end :rant
    .As if 24 hrs is not enough :crazy
    I strongly go by
    A time for everything;
    And everything on time!
    But I am no patch compared to Vish & his family - they all celebrate deepavali,everyday & are up at an unearthly hour of 3.30!:hide:

1 person likes this.
  10. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Dear Kkrish

With two active young sons packaged with demands of their own and an already busy multi role of chauffer, cook, house cleaner, launderer, home-work teacher, nurse, nutritionist, last-minute-rush-to-store-poster-board-buyer, and so on…

For a second i thought u r echoing my daily routine :). san being a student mysefl.

I really appreciate that with 2 tiny kids, u could manage to finish ur study and sail through it.

Sometime even i keep fretting about not finishing this and that, but nowadays sometime, i really get tired, i let go and just relax for sometime.

enjoy reading it very much. have a good day.