1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Have you had a crush??? - Oh, is my title scandalous??

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Chitvish, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Friends, knowing me as an oldie, I am not sure if you will appreciate my writing on such a topic – typically reserved for youngsters! But, let us accept, most of us have reached the stage of life when we can do “restrospective introspection” using the rewind button of memory, enjoying every bit of it!!

Most of you may not know, what a small time town, Madurai, my native place was, sixty years back! I studied in a girls’ convent. So, it goes without saying – my first crush was on my maths teacher when the ‘crush-age’ (adolescence??) started!! I used to adore /worship her literally. Her name was Florence & the pet name given to her by me and my close friend (also a ‘co-crusher’) was Florie!! In classroom, when she passed our side, we would sit in such a way that her saree would brush aside us & the feel of her saree would simply make us swoon! But one good thing that resulted was, I fell in love with mathematics as a subject & never got a single mark less than centum!! So, perhaps the crush was fruitful, as well!!

The second would interest you more!! After I finished schooling, a local co-education college was the only option available for graduating in Science subjects. Given my strict upbringing, I was instructed not to give a second glance at any boy (instruction courtesy, grandma!). One day when I was crossing over from one class room to the other, I could feel somebody just coming behind & thrusting a paper in my hand. Before I could realize who he was, he disappeared. It was the first love letter, ever given to me by a boy ! Believe me, he, C.Kannan, was the hero of all lady students in our college & a top ranker. He started his letter saying that my “dignified aloofness” charmed him no end & he could not help falling for me! Without exaggeration, that day started a torrential flow of letters from one to the other. We spoke to each other barely in person, but only in letters. Though I started sensing that this was not going to lead us anywhere, I was in no position to help myself. We fixed up a venue where we exchanged letters in a flash, because people would be passing by & anybody could recognize me in my town! The letters were always 10 – 12 pages. Reading his letters & writing to him an equal volume, without anybody’s knowledge was a challenging task. But I did enjoy it thoroughly !

That was the time Valentine Day had started gaining popularity, in the media! We did not want to miss meeting each other, that day. But we also were sadly aware, that day, we would have the unavoidable, emotionally challenging act of taking leave of each other. He had finished his course and was leaving for Chennai, for his study holidays.

We did meet, to bid a tearful adieu to each other. We realized that there was barely a chance of one crossing the other’s path ever in future. For the first and last time, we held each other’s hand – almost an electric shock passed through me and I just broke down. He acted a man, literally ! He said, “ I am C.Kannan, forever. You (C) will remain by my side, first, till my last day”. We parted ways on a Valentine’s Day – that was what God had willed for us !
    Thinking back, I should say that, emotionally, I was just a bud at that time, a tight bud – given my up bringing ! He was just a whiff of fresh air at that age & looking back, I think he literally opened out the petals in the bud, very gently, very soothingly & very lovingly. That ‘boy’ literally brought out the woman in me & then there was no looking back for me in life. That I (who was full of inferiority complex) was loved by the hero of the whole college really boosted my morale & raised my self-confidence tremendously.

OK, let me move on to the third crush!
    There was one particular lecturer, who was handsome & "dashing" & became an instant hero with the ‘lady students’(me, included ). He was a very shy person. I used to study his subject (now it was physical chemistry)"vizundu vizundu" & was always the top scorer. So he had to talk a few words about my brains in class which just zoomed me to the seventh heaven straight !

Well, wishes are never horses ! Our lives took different turns. 5 yrs back, when I was travelling to Madurai by Vaigai, I was waiting to see, who would be my co-passenger. Lo behold, my "ex heart-throb" came & promptly plonked himself (only) next to me !!
    Oh, in a few secs, I was transformed into the young college student C ( only in spirit !) & we non-stop "jabbered" all the 8 hrs in the train. Well, my decent present image prevents me from revealing what exactly transpired between us in the train; you know that I am modest, prim & proper! I assure you, we never crossed the "fair limits of decency"
    So, finally all was well that ended well & we parted ways, with the assurance that these 8 hrs would see us through the rest of our lives. He had a white beard (a la Big B for whom I seem to have a ‘life-long’ crush, besides for the one & only Prannoy Roy) which charms me always & I mentioned that he was less handsome in his younger days !

Thereafter, crushes came to an end & I got married to V, promising him “to be true from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and health, until death do us part."

PS – Though the “skeleton’ is true, I have added a lot of masala to make interesting reading!
    Need I reinforce this, dear friends???

2. Chitvish

Dear DNM,
    Just last night I finished composing this thread, to beposted in the morning!
    Here you are, with a similar topic.
    If you have any reservations, please let me know - I have no hassel in deleting it!!:)

3. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Dear Ma

Wow....Wow...!

I literally was smiling through the entire enchanting post, the title being the magnet. Loved it till the end!(Isn't it human nature to be interested(rather nosy:biggrin2:) in fellow human's affairs:bonk) It was so sweet and romantic.

Coming to crushes...I too have had my share and reminised those. Thanks for reminding those nostalgic moments:cheers

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  4. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

you are unbelievable chithra amma. Only you can write such cute posts.BTW did you have any crush on any celebrities?Though i am tempted to share mine..i wouldnt :hide:.

5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

dear chitra ma'am,

didn't know you were a die-hard romantic. an incurable one at that. really nice to read of all the crushes of your younger days. it brought a wide smile to my lips as i read accompanied by a nice warm feeling in my heart. :)

6. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitraji - No reservations at all! Your post is so much better than mine. It was like a mills and boon style story spanning 60 years. I wish it had ended with you telling us that you had actually married your first hearthrob and that everyone once in a while you both like to role play in the train, for old times sakes. Sorry! I am a romantic and love happy endings...

Edited: for typo of name. Chitraji vs Vijiji...am tired and sleep deprived if thats any excuse.

7. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Chitra aunty's crush and DNM's crush - two crushes on the same day in IL :) Oho! :hiya

I haven't read the two threads fully yet, will read leisurely and reply back.

8. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Chitra,

what a great subject. Loved the title. We oldies also have great stories in the field of Romance. I know that so many of us had crush, but no one openly talked about it in our community. You opened up the great feelings.

Good Masala too. That masala made your story much better.

Keep on coming, Chitra.:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown

9. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chitra,
    Your caption itself made me to rush to your post ( out of curiosity) and in the morning time amidst my tight work , I finished reading it from top to bottom !!!! Really, I admire the way you have narrated your " crushes" by adding required " masala"( of course you are a culinary queen):)
    "Crushes are new and exciting, so enjoy them while they last. Someday, you'll be telling your own kids about your first crush."these words came to my mind when I go through your post !!!!
    Developing special feeling for someone changes the entire world. First crush or first love is also known as 'puppy love'. If your crush also likes you then it would be a wonderful feeling for you. Am I right ?
    I did also had crush for my teacher when I was studying 8th std. The day when she left the school , I made the whole school drown with my tears!!
    That old song by Frank Sinatra, I’ve Got a Crush on You makes you want to have a crush on someone. came to my memory . Now you can see so many ILites rush here and unfold their crush !!!! Wait and see!!!Moreover, I want to visit you and both' young Paddy and Chitvish can talk about my crushes !!! Eagerly waiting for that day !!!:)
    with love
    pad

10. Chitvish

Thanks for the first FB, Vijee:)
    If anybody says that they have not experienced a crush (or more :biggrin2:) at some period in youth, I would not believe it!!
    Yes, those old memories are like little birds singing to you and dancing arond you merrily!!