1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kolam that attracts animal friends

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Sep 20, 2007.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

By putting kolam at dawn our day supposed to start with first dhanam for ants and other animals. I have witnessed cows licking the kolam in front of my house, when we were staying at groundfloor. Now we had shifted to first floor.Then squrill turned up to lick the kolam and now it was the turn of rat. N0w the servant puts kolam outside the gate and though I give her rice flour, she mixes it with the stone powder telling that rice flour is not flowing freely. Hence the cows and crows stopped eating, But at the staircase I use only rice flour and so the squrill was eating the kola mao. But I could not capture it in my camera. But every night a big rat or might be a peruchali comes to eat the kola mao. Now I was able to capture it in my camera. Here I am posting it for you all to see. The squrill was very sensitive and it did not allow me to take the snap whereas the rat did not bother and was very daring. See how cute he/she is looking.

Pushpavalli

Attached Files:

sindmani likes this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi pushpa,

You are so sweet...to wait and see the rat eating and then capturing it for us....good ones..but to be frank my first instinct would have been to shoo it away....

You are reiterating the fact that we put kolam to feed our animal friends only....:2thumbsup:

3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Hi Shanthi,
    Thanks for your prompt FB. Really I love to feed animals. Daily crows are quenching their thirst at our terrace. I keep water in a pot and daily they visit in the mornigs to drink water. I am waiting to capture them also in my camera, but so far no luck.
    Love,
    Pushpavalli

4. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Pushpa,

Very nice of you. The rat's eyes are glitering in the night. As Shanti said first I will say 'shushu ' to the rat. :-D But You .... you took photo without distirubing it. :cool2:

I want to know one thing, till the night, is it there? that is I am asking about the kolam, first out of first ants will come and eat the kola maavu is it not?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Krishnamma,
    We are blessed that ants do not enter our house. If the rat or squrril leaves the kolam, till next morning the kolam remains fresh. I have to clean the place and put the fresh kolam. People who are lazy will keep the kolam for a few days also. Even my hubby used to say," why you are cleaning the kolam, instead of leaving it as it is. It is looking so fresh." Even people who visit our house will not tread on the kolam. :yes: So the kolam remains through out the day.
    Love,
    Pushpavalli

6. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Dear Pushpa Ma'am,

I have seen ants and cows eating up the kolam powder. This is the first time I am seeing a peruchaali eating kolam.:mrgreen: I think you must be daring to go near the peruchaali and capture it's picture. Had it been me, I would have screamed at the sight of the peruchaali.:) Thanks for sharing!

7. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear pushpa,
    wonderful capturing, yeah these days more of rats and bandicoots which the peruchalis are known as, are our guests...sunkan

8. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Lovely Kolam, and lovely pictures. Nice of you to wait patiently to take a photograph of it and posting it here.

9. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

The photos really look nice.The symbol of putting is for Goddess Lakshmi to enter our house and bless us,plus feeding these helpless creatures.My daughter feeds nearly dozens of pigeons ,crows and squirrels on the terrace everyday.It is a wonderful sight to see this.Hats off to you,Pushpa.

10. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

actually yes'day v were discussing abt this only. hahhahha,my aunt told for krishna jayanthi she put kolam with kaavi,daily pigs will come & have it,that it ate everything only the kaavi left.
    here in my parent's house only crows,cows & ants r the guests. nowadays cows r not coming donno,in chennai cows population has become less or govt' took any action for this????
    sorats r also new guest is it???

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007