1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My moonlight dinners

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mimur9, Feb 10, 2011.

1. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

The term as it sounds beautiful so is the dinner that is had by sitting in a open place together with other children of the household under moonlight.

During my childhood days, I had many such nostalgic dinners in my house and in my aunt’s place, sitting along with cousins around the serving hand of mother or aunt, each one quickly gobbling the small delicious ball of rice kept in our palms and showing the empty palm again. Yes, this way, the dinner can be enjoyed inside home or under a moonlight. No one ever told no to any vegetable or any dish. No preferences. Just enjoyed the healthy meal.

Mother or aunt takes a big vessel, in goes the rice, curd and salt, mixed well – ready to make balls. By the side lies a big vessels of sambar and dry vegetable curry called poriyal. Adding to it is the bonus story hour along with it which will be mostly on the famous foodies, 'Bhagasura' or 'Bheema' with a detailed narration on the dishes offered to them and how they ate. Sounds nice isn't it. Who will not eat quietly listening to such tempting descriptions. They make small balls out of it, place in our small palms. We make a small depression in the middle with our thumb, to accept the sambar or the vegetable curry that is poured over it. All set, in goes the delicious ball inside our small hungry mouths. It was very inviting after a tiring long evening hours play.[​IMG][​IMG]:banana

During holidays, when we gathered in our aunt’s place, we used to have this dinner everynight. At my home, during Sundays, my mother used to give me my dinner like this but no cousins around, me left with all those yummy curries with no competition and I emerge with a content & fat belly. :rotflSometimes, with my brother and sister who joins me for this wonderful moonlight dinner. [​IMG]

Today, there is not much time or space for this practice. So children miss them much. Such practices of olden days like the family taking food together has a big role to play in the eating habit of the children thus brought them up healthily with a love towards all vegetables and fruits. Whereas, today’s children have more options but they are very specific towards their likes and dislkes because of the pampering. SO the mother’s end up giving them some health drink advertised in the TV for kids who pushes their plate at the dining table.

Eating together gives a lot of pleasure, health as well as less work pressure for the mother. Even after we have grown up and were working, till marriage, all of us in our family had to have lunch together on Sundays. Even after my marriage, when I visited my mother, I joined my nephews for this dinner. :crazy I enjoyed those moments very much.:biggrin2:

Though today’s corporate timings don’t permit such previleges, but still it can be practiced at least on weekends. A child brought up this way will understand the pleasure & love all the home cooked food. So mother’s should not worry about the eating habit of their little mannu’s anymore!!:)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
    9 people like this.

2. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Oh Mira Dear!!! You are making me reminded of those golden childhood days...I'm native of Vellore...And for every annual leave, I used to come to chennai to my chitti's house. It is near Chepak stadium. So in the evenings, they will switch on the big big lights...where our terrace will look so bright...my chitti will make all kind of dinner and all my days there we used to have dinner at the terrace. And my cousin brother use to put paste (Manja) to the thread for flying kites...only during nights people wont come for kite fight :-D...gone are those days...stays in memories.

Atleast we had such wonderful days...now life being very mechanic, we never find time to do such things!! Even I :bang...my DS is missing all those stuff...As you suggested, let me make this happen at least during week ends...Thanks buddy...Nice start!!!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
    2 people like this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

dear mira,

you once again took me back to my childhood. this week seems to be a time for me to practise some regression sessions. two of my blogs also deal with memories of childhood.

since i grew up in a nuclear family, we were just 4 of us. my parents, my sister and i. these were the days when we used to sit on the floor and eat. my dad or my mom would do this ritual from time to time, where they used to hand out balls of rice and then i would get into a competition with my sister over who ate more and who was given the first ball.:)shakehead.

another favourite dish was a speciality from my dad's home in kerala. sometimes various dishes would be left over especially after a function. those days there were no refrigerators. so all the left over kozhambus and curries would be put into a big kalchatti (stone cooking pot) and cooked again till the mixture thickened a bit and it was called "karacha kozhambu" (literally burnt kozhamnbu, but it is not burnt). that with rice was so yummmmmm.......served on the palm.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Mira, your writeup brought memories of my childhood too.......

Amma used to mix sambar rice, curd rice in a big vessel as you said and we used to gobble up from our palm so fast that sometimes there is always a fight who ate more...especially the aanai kutti (last mouthful)........

Not only did we eat more than the usual but a healthy and contented meal......

Now there is no time for all that since most of us get glued to the tv or work....

Oh, how lovely those days were and I too miss them dear !!

5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

sudha,

let me tell you, there is more than an element of truth in that "adee kozhambu ana kutti pole". i used to be fascinated by elephants (even got after my mom once to buy me one after seeing them at the guruvayur temple :biglaugh), so my dad used to say this and make me eat. i used to be delighted thinking i would strong like an elephant, but i had not bargained for the looks! :bonk.:hide: this is one i need to sort out with my dad when i meet him in spirit on the other side. :rant

1 person likes this.
  6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Mira
    Thanks you for taking me on a memory trip. Yes how I loved those hanfuls of curd rice with nice pickle and kuzhambu alternating. Especially on full moon day. Generally would end up eating more than normal.
    Nowadays nothing of that sort...life has become too routine.

7. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Hi malar, very glad to know that my post has brought you wonderful nostalgia for you and that you are going to give such nostalgic moments for your little one too. Thanks for joining me.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  8. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

Very glad to read about your childhood nostalgic moments. In our house to, after a feast everything goes into one vessel and we call that Erichakari. THe mixture leaves its own aroma in the air and tastes yummy too. Thanks for joining me.

9. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sudha,

You made me remember the 'adi kozhambu, annai kutti pole' phrase told my mom while giving the last one to the youngest. I am happy because i was the smallest one in our entire family and always used to receive that privelege. Thanks for joining with your nice nostalgic moments.

10. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Very true kamala. Many have forgotten this. But we can still make time for this atleast in weekends for our children to enjoy their moonlight dinners like this. Thanks for joining me.