1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The ANAN moment.... A Valentine special.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Annalum Nokinan, Avalum Nokinaal...

For those of you who think this is Greek and Latin let me hasten to tell you that these are very famous lines in Tamil from Kamba Ramayanam. It refers to the first time both Ramji’s and Sita’s eyes met. And the poet, I believe, speaks volumes about that beautiful moment. I for one have found this line extremely romantic. For reasons of brevity I shall call this the ANAN moment. The one moment in your life when you have met that special person who is going to be with you for the rest of your life; your better half, your very own dearest valentine.And unlike the KODAK moment which is captured in paper this is forever stamped in your heart and mind.

It is only fair that I share mine with you first so here goes…

Well, I have already told you it was an arranged match, and he came to see me with his family. I was not looking forward to any of the formalities of this meeting, but was told by my parents that they were very nice people, and quite modern in their outlook. Assured that I wouldn’t have to sing or dance for him, I felt better. My mother had made the customary bhajji sojji (this is one tradition that I hope will continue as I love this combination) and we were ready for them by four o’clock. Here I must mention that my uncle stayed in the same building and his daughter, my cousin, was a good friend of mine.

As soon as my dh got down from the cab, my cousin, who was at the window of their apartment since three o’clock, saw him take out a comb and redo his hair. Immediately I got a call from her, and stifling her giggles she said “He is doing it to look good for you, hope you too are wearing a nice sari”. But I was too tense to giggle and waited for them to ring the doorbell. I guess we did not want to appear too eager by keeping the door open the full afternoon.

Here I am trying really hard to relive that ANAN moment and can only vaguely remember my first thoughts. I remember feeling relieved that he was taller than me (for I am quite tall) and he was good looking, soft spoken, had an excellent sense of humour and spoke to everyone in the room. I was terrified that they would all just stare at me and speak only about me. There was only general conversation in the room. Then my mother served them the snacks (here again I had told her please do not expect me to serve it in filmy style giving him a shy glance with my face bent and all).

Now please do keep in mind that those were real carefree days. I knew NOTHING about being a "GOOD" hostess. By this time I was totally at ease with all of them and so went to the kitchen to offer them a second helping of bhajji. DH politely refused and so I took it back. Later he tells me he was taken aback at my behaviour. “At your place don’t you force your guests to have more? At least once?”

“Okay???? Rolling my eyes......I always accept what people say in their face value. All this forcing and cajoling is NOT my cup of tea. And come on, what if you did not like it and I forced you to have more?” ....That was me, of course.

Anyway it was a case of he came, we saw and I guess we conquered (good to know that he was smitten by me even if I was not a gracious host) each others hearts though all formal talks of marriage began only after two more meetings.

Hey friends, I am in India really missing my hubby, and it is FEBRUARY, so can you blame me for going down memory lane and thinking about this day when I first met him? And here I am hoping that my ever supporting friends (especially those from the senior citizens category...I am sure the older it gets ,the more interesting it becomes ) will share their ANAN moment with me. Just go back to that day in your life and I assure you it will bring a smile to your lips, probably a blush in your cheeks, and a very warm glow in your body.

All your replies are definitely going to be a treat to read, as each one is going to be very different. Whether we believe in Valentines Day or not there is nothing wrong in getting into the valentine mood, right? So,do let’s make this a FEEL GOOD THREAD and get into the spirit.Happy Valentine's Day.:))))

Btw, I am now a VERY GOOD hostess so do NOT hesitate to visit me….. And, when I make bhajjis there is always an extra plate for "you know who".:wink:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
    sindmani and knbg like this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Mindi,

I know you are missing your better half but wait there dearie, you have such a great celebration waiting at the end of the wait isn't it.

now there is nothing special about our anan moment. it was more of v thinking my god i would not marry this girl.(next time we meet, we should ask v to describe this, he has a special way of doing this).and me fighting with this person who thinks he is so superior..those were the days he had his head so high ..(now i think i should run:rotfl) he in the accounts department and me in the edp (as it was called then) and our fights were so famous. fight in the office hours, and long walks on the beaches and cups and cups of coffee after office hours, that the waiter used to bring coffee the moment he saw us..sigh those were carefree days..

but it was a starting point of 20 years of friendship and 17 years of marriage..we have come a long way.

now me too missing V, who is so engrossed in a seminar, has switched off his phone..these days our anan moments are more like apab...avar pesinaar eval badhil sonnal..or vice-versa... owing to the physical distance of thousands of miles.

now here i have executed your sweet Order....

3. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

That was a very sweeeeeeet post. Liked it a lot. Me, yet to have one. So will share it once I come across such a moment :)

4. parusabari

parusabari Silver IL'ite

Dear Mindi.....,

I liked the above post very much. Though I was very much reading your post..my mind went back to our special moments and a lovely curve has turned up on my lips and yes yes yes am still blushing remembering that lovely day.:)
    I was 23 when marriage concerns were the only talk in the household. Appa and Amma were desperately matching horoscopes and searching for the best ..without me even getting a hint of it. A match got fixed but the condition was poonu parkal function should be in Chennai. I put my feet down saying no. My amma gave me only two options either i fill the ph.d form or i go to Chennai. I thought better travel then get lost again with papers and research. So i landed in Chennai with my best friend - Appa. The meet was scheduled at our relatives place. And yes the function was the same as mentioned by you....bhajji sojji and an entire padai from his side.They were so cool and i was so dumb.....was so shy, a bit nervous...and what not.

We were allowed to go together to another room to talk. I really got butterflies in my tummy .We met, talked and talked ...about education, work, music, food, stars, moon hahahha there was nothing that i did not like about Mr.S (then:biglaugh). I think my Appa was more relieved when i said yes to the match and also Mr.S. When he was about to leave after the meet......it was like he was already inviting me to come to his home to stay with all as my Appa had to go to bring Amma and other relatives for the engagement which was scheduled in one week..........but i was so dumbo that time..i was really very conservative yaar... I opted to go to my cousin's place in Cuddalore.
    Chatting, phone calls, surprise gifts..............oh how i wish mindi dear that period comes in my life again.
    I am craving to be by his side now this lovely season.......but sir is busy with tours and right now miles away for seminars and i cant even get to hear him on the phone.:-(.

Thanks for making love grow again in our hearts....mindi or should i rename u as CupidLady now hahahahha.

Love,
    Parvathi.

5. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Hmmmm.....okay. Here we go.

Mine was an arranged marriage too. From the fbs so far, we might all have had the same experience. Same girl scouting cermony. Same bajji and sojji. Same 'I will not sing' mantra. I just had one more condition to add to that. I had warned my Uncle to not ask me to do 'namaskaram' or sing for anyone.

I remember getting ready a bit early and then studying for my 'American Literature' exam the next day. I wore a blue saree and kept a lot of jasmine strings in my braid. It is a toss up as to whether the butterflies in my stomach were due to the exam or the upcoming audition.:) Anyway, my niece was busy cleaning the house for the guests and my sister, aunt and uncle were busy in the Kitchen making the bajjis and sojji(my parents were out of town when my DH came to Chennai on a work break and they all decided to visit us). My next door neighbor and my good friend S came and kept me company a few minutes until they all showed up.

And boy, did they show up! From my vantage point of the bedroom window, all I could see was a van that could have been a distant cousin of a tour bus and many many pairs of feet alighting from that. What? Who are all these people? Did they get lost on their way to Mahabalipuram or something? Surely, this can't be right. Almost a dozen people or so were walking into our house.

After they all got seated, I was asked to come into the living room and sit. Believe it when I say that I almost tripped over my own feet in sheer terror. I could feel several pairs of eyes on me when I sat down and at that moment wished for nothing more than the ground to open up and swallow me.

Okay, I am sitting. Now what? And why is everyone so silent all of a sudden? Terror curdled into a ball low in my stomach when my b-in-law, thank god, broke the ice and started the conversation. When I found the courage finally to look up at the many foreign faces around me happily chatting, I saw everyone smiling especially my DH sitting there with a goofy grin. Apparently they all liked what they saw and a very relieved Uncle of mine asked me to help serve the snacks to everyone. And all of sudden, my DH looks at me and asks 'why don't you sing a song? Your bio data (??) says that you sing very well.' What? My Uncle of course! I turned and gave my Uncle a look that would have had lesser men shaking in their dhothis. But eventually my Uncle came through and rescued me from demonstrating my singing skills for all the world to see.

Next my DH announces to no one in particular that he wishes to talk to me privately. Off I go back to the next room and a few minutes later he walks in. We talked for a long time about a lot of sweet nothings and right there I fell in love with his easy friendliness almost as much as his sense of humor. So I said 'Yes' to marrying him despite him asking me to sing at the very first meeting.:) And he later admitted that he fell for me right at the ANAN moment so there is my happy story. To this day, I don't have a better friend than him. He is the only Valentine for me today and forever.

Thank you for allowing me a chance to take a fond look back at my very own ANAN day Mindi.:cheers

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi,

You being in India and all and abbreviations being the thing of the day, I thought you attended some high funda conference or something! Little did I guess what the title stood for!

First of all, I want to share this with you. This famous line has a totally different intonation for me. Long time ago, my friend J and I were discussing our ANAN moments when she said that all she saw of him were his shoes! So since then, we both say 'shoe vai nokkinal shoe vai ye nokkinal'!!

So many autumns have passed since my own ANAN days! For some reason, I don't even remember my wedding. Yes, usually this shocks people. But maybe I was so overwhelmed that my wedding is a blur in my mind! But the first encounter (!) with my hubby is etched deeply in my memory!

Being me, this whole thamasha of 'bride seeing/scouting' thing was unpalatable. Besides, my naive daddy invited all the prospective grooms straight home as soon as someone stuck an horoscope of the boy under his nose! Se we ladies, mom and us two sisters, coached him about screening the alliances before inviting them home straight away!! Hence, by the time my future hubs came, I was a sort of profi with this whole scenario! Also, I had made up my mind that the lives the nuns at my convent led was much less bothersome and had plans to join them sooner or later!!

There was much excitement at home about this alliance, them being a modern and very nice family. I was nonchalant as I was aware of his mother's wish for only the very best looking girl for him and I did not fit the bill. So I didn't see any point in all this and just respected my parents' wish. I dressed to please myself! It was only him and his mother visiting us. My parents by now knew better than ask me to serve tea or snacks!! There was a laid back atmosphere with all of us chatting with each other and I did think he was quite charming and conversant. For some reason I had already made up my mind that this was not going to work. Slowly I could sense that he was showing an interest in me and the last straw was when he asked me to sing! I was taken aback and quite angry that a modern young man should ask a girl to sing in this day and age (1970!!). Just to show I was not flustered, I sang my favorite song at that time...'Oho oo nirdaye preetam' !!!!! Yes, I did! There was a twinkle in his eye and his mom could hardly conceal her smile.

I knew he was mine! [​IMG]

So, that's the way it has been all these years--for better or for worse, we are for each other!

Anyone wanting to check out this very melodious song by Lata from the film Stree, here's the link:
    YouTube - O NIRDAIY PREETAM LATA MANGESHKAR FILM STREE 1961 C.RAMCHANDRA.

A great song to sing or even play for your loved one on this Valentine! Happy Valentine folks!:)

L, Kamla

1 person likes this.
  7. anukv

anukv Bronze IL'ite

dear mindi...very nice post

8. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Mindi,
    Very nice thread :thumbsup

Probaby from many guys' perspective, its 'அடியோடு நான் அடிமையான நாள் - Adiyodu naan adimaiyaana naal' (ANAN) moment! :crazy

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Nice ANAN moment, Mindi..
    Enjoyed reading yours and others too...

Mine goes like this:
    After the horoscopes matched, DH and my mil came for the 1st time..
    I remember her asking me the question, which year you finished the college, to which I answered. I don't remember anything from my DH side at this point. :hide:
    Later on I came to know from my DH that my mil commented that I looked like the yester-year actress Savithri..( really...I don't know..but one thing I know is that she is a movie-fanatic :) )

Later dh came with his eldest brother..nothing I remembered at this time..Eldest bil was in US at that time..he came in for a vacation to India.
    Secondly, came his second elder brother, who was working in Dubai at that time...

After all these paarkkum padalams..they agreed only after 2 years to have the engagement ceremony..:-(
    In between, dh was running here and there to the embassy to get his visa and the like...
    and also to my house ..where we had meetings, and he would talk about sweet nothings along with his job, his ideas and thoughts and the like.

This is how much I remember pa, about this ANAN moment...did you notice any such moment here..:biglaugh:

sriniketan

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Kamla,

wow, when you land, you land with so much fireworks around you. look at the posts you have been making the past two days.. and i was just :spin:rotfl:rotfl at the nirdayi preetam, and imagining the scene..i love that song so much.

spidey is this taught as a sylabbus for men without the knowledge of us women. my better half, says adimai calling:rotfl..and now one of my friend says my adimai has gone to india (culprit who corrupted her view is again my dh.:bonk.)